Criminology v Criminal Justice - Weds 4 April Watch

University of Hertfordshire
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi Everyone,

We'd like to invite you to take part in a debate this Wednesday from 9am - 1pm. The topic of the debate is:

'What is the difference between Criminology and Criminal Justice and how can they be applied to contemporary issues in society?'

One of our Criminology lecturers, Anna Tippett, will be joining in live so feel free to ask her any questions you have and get involved!

You can find out more about Anna below.

Thanks,
Heather

"I’m a Lecturer in Criminology and teach on the modules Understanding Crime and Deviance, Criminal Justice Process and Theories of Criminal Behaviour. My PhD thesis explored the sexualisation of British popular culture and my research interests are in the fields of gender, sexuality, feminism and deviant identities" - Anna
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Hello everyone,

Please feel free to send me any questions you have about Criminology or Criminal Justice!

Perhaps we could start by drawing out the differences between these two areas. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the two? What do you think they both mean and what is it about each of them that you are interested in studying?

Anna
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Hertfordshire)
Hello everyone,

Please feel free to send me any questions you have about Criminology or Criminal Justice!

Perhaps we could start by drawing out the differences between these two areas. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the two? What do you think they both mean and what is it about each of them that you are interested in studying?

Anna
Hello all,

I will go ahead and post some answers to the questions I've posed. Please feel free to get involved - it would be lovely to hear from you!

So, broadly speaking, Criminology is the study of the anatomy of a crime, specifically its causes, consequences and costs. It aims to understand crime and its control as social phenomena. Students pursuing a career in Criminology will study the behaviour patterns, backgrounds, and Sociological trends of criminals. Criminology is interdisciplinary in nature meaning it overlaps with other disciplines such as Sociology, Law and Psychology.

In contrast to this, Criminal Justice refers to established systems for dealing with crime, specifically the detection of crime, the detention of criminals, criminal prosecution and punishment. It is directly associated with law enforcement. Students pursuing career opportunities in Criminal Justice will study the different components of criminal justice and law enforcement systems. So, overall, Criminal Justice is about analysing the institutions and systems that respond to criminal behaviour.

Which of the two are you most interested in? Let me know!

Anna
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Thank you all for joining me today, even though you've been very quiet! I know that there have been a lot of views of this thread so I hope it has been helpful to those of you thinking about studying Criminal Justice & Criminology.

If you have any questions later down the line, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me. My email address is: [email protected]

Wishing you all the best with your revision and applications!

Anna

Name:  crim.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  23.3 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (107)
17.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (65)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.66%

Watched Threads