The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Geography Paper 1,2,3 9GE0 04/08/14 Jun 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

I have been using he exam questions from the edexcel textbook (the ones with lizards on the front) and just planning how I would answe each one. Hope this helps
Original post by YummyCailer
•Evaluate the significance of meteorological causes of flooding

•Evaluate whether anthropogenic causes of climate change are leading to shifting climate belts

How would you answer these??
Original post by YummyCailer
Water conflicts

•Sudan and Egypt have ever increasing needs for more Nile water

•1990s– riparian-led process of joint decision-making created the Nile BasinInitiative (NBI)

•Since2005, development of NBI in partnership with key external agencies e.g. theWorld Bank, to establish a common vision

•Very little achieved by NBI

•2010– Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda signed new water treaty CooperativeFramework Agreement (CFA) with Burundi, DRC and Kenya to sign later. Allriparian countries should have equal rights to use the Nile waters. Politics ofthe Nile is preventing final signing of the agreement Sudan and Egypt strongopposition over fears it would reduce their water rights and allocation.

•Neo-colonisation by China adding geopolitics

•2011– Ethiopian Prime Minister announced construction of Grand EthiopianRenaissance Dam on Blue Nile angry opposition from Egyptian president, asthis threatened Egyptians livelihoods. 2015 agreement signed about the dam.

•Still not agreement on CFA!

Thank you but do you know a case study for conflict of a river within a country
Reply 63
Original post by jarjarbinkss

I think there is conflict with the River Nile. Try googling it, and please share a link if anything useful pops up!

Colorado river. Basically first dam on it (hoover dam) makes the states downstream aggravated. Could also have Israel/Palestine (I know they’re two different countries but lol)
Original post by Geko1
I think there is conflict with the River Nile. Try googling it, and please share a link if anything useful pops up!

yeah there is but thats a transnational boundary and I was looking for a conflict within a country
Reply 66
How would you answer these??

Firstly, evaluate means: Consider several options, ideas or arguments and come to a conclusion about their importance/success/worth

The first one I guess you would go over the different meteorological causes of flooding and conclude on the most ‘significant’ one. So you’d have to think of the causes of flooding then obviously identify the meteorological causes. So the main one is heavy rainfall:
If it rains for a long time, the ground will become saturated and the water will no longer be able to infiltrate the soil due to lack of pore space (did I use that word right?) which will lead to increased surface runoff = flooding.
Could you also do snow melt because isn’t a meteorological cause increased heat? (I’m going with it anyway)
So increased heat (possibly due to increased release of carbon -> link) causing snow melt or ice melt which will increase surface runoff and therefore flooding if gravity leads it to the right area (downhill gradient).

Did this help? I get the feeling this wasn’t what you were asking for, but I guess just give an argument or just a few examples of the causes etc?

The second one I don’t know.
Hey guys, how did the exam go today? :biggrin:
Hey guys, how did the exam go today?
Reply 69
Original post by Evil Homer
Hey guys, how did the exam go today?

You know what, I don’t think there were any questions designed to catch you out which was good.
I don’t know, I think I did ok. I certainly didn’t draw a blank.
However there want many question in which you could go detailed in case studies and the first few questions on maths killed me.

What about you guys?
Just did the geography exam was pretty good paper, found it pretty good but 2hours and 15 mins isn’t enough lol the amount of detail needed, and especially revising content that doesn’t even come up wow
For the ting about whether oceans regulate the carbon cycle, did u talk about the biological carbon pump.

also, i said that as the ocean absorbs more carbon, it becomes more acidic, and so less able to absorb carbon, and so on that front it isnt that good of a regulator, (as it will eventually not be able to handle the carbon cycle) ----- is that a valid point?
You got to talk about how marine animals concert carbon into There diet which goes to the bottom of the ocean through The thermal circulation, then terrestrial primary producers such as phytoplankton sequester carbon etc
Original post by Daanish1234
You got to talk about how marine animals concert carbon into There diet which goes to the bottom of the ocean through The thermal circulation, then terrestrial primary producers such as phytoplankton sequester carbon etc

yh i talked about that in another paragraph
What did you get for the calculation question and hypothesis
Original post by Daanish1234
What did you get for the calculation question and hypothesis

the calculation question i just divided the ting it said (like 22.4 over 4.something)

and i said it was significant
Reply 76
Answer to the first calculation? Seemed simple but my class is split on the answer
Original post by Naaamed
Answer to the first calculation? Seemed simple but my class is split on the answer

i dont think i got it right. i think ur supposed to add the two numbers together, then divide by 12
Original post by Naaamed

Original post by Faysil_Shukri
the calculation question i just divided the ting it said (like 22.4 over 4.something)

and i said it was significant
I did that and 4.99 to 3sig fig and then put advanced hypothesis and the first question I got 12 and 15 for the avarages
As you divide it by 12 as there’s 12 months in year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending