Should I take a medicine gap year or do neuroscience at UCL Watch

k.g.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm an 18 year old living in london. I have been rejected by all my medical schools here in the UK but I have an offer to study a neuroscience BSc at UCL (has the second best neuroscience dept. in the world). I was never 100% sure whether I wanted to do medicine and there's a lot of parental influence, however I do find the field interesting.

However I also find the field of neuroscience interesting but also don't know whether I want to specifically go into that field. However I know I can still do medicine after I have graduated and then join a graduate medicine program which is 4 years (and much more competitive to get into rather than if I joined the undergraduate medicine program)long instead of it being 5 years if I went straight to medicine.

I'm leaning to the neuroscience option and maybe deciding to do medicine when I'm older, as I feel I have great things to accomplish in the future but I'm not sure if that's in the field of medicine.

This is probably very common but I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

Thanks.
skyiseverywhere
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I graduated from BSc Neuroscience at UCL last year, and am now applying to do graduate entry medicine. During sixth form I never applied for medicine but I did consider it. Ultimately I wish I took a gap year after sixth form as deep down I wasn't entirely sure of my decision to study my course.

Neuroscience at UCL is tough, and from comparing to my friends' degrees and also other people agree that neuroscience is tougher than any other life science. For me I battled back and forth constantly about not enjoying the course as much as I would like, and perhaps you are someone who can still work hard and achieve highly despite not enjoying something, but it does make it much harder to do well. Although other things contributed to my not-so-great experience with the department and UCL anyway.

Now having been through two application cycles for graduate entry medicine and still not gotten in, I would urge anyone who feels they want to go into medicine to think carefully about applying for undergrad again before resorting to graduate entry. However, there are advantages to choosing to go into medicine later on in life - for me, I could never be as sure of my decision at 18, as I am now, at 22.

From your post it sounds like you're not 100% sure on medicine OR neuroscience. If that is the case, I would urge you to think seriously about a gap year. It's scary but a year is not much in the grand scheme of life. If you were to go for graduate entry, or follow an entirely different path from neuroscience, it's highly likely you'll have to take a 'gap year' or two after uni. Get some more experience perhaps, find out what you enjoy. If I could go back in time to my past self and give some advice, it would be that it's totally fine to be unsure, but there is absolutely no rush to make a decision that might then cause conflicting feelings later on down the line.
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As above, i would hesitate to go into any degree let alone Medicine unless you are pretty sure that's what you want to do. A gap year seems like it would be a great thing to do in your situation, gain some more experience in both fields and see if that helps to make up your mind.
Kate.W1305
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn’t take a gap year unless you were dead set on medicine, you have a really good offer for UCl enjoy it and see how you feel afterwards, again you can do medicine after if that’s what you decide afterwards
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
26.97%
Not great so far... (281)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.34%

Watched Threads