What is the difference between an ionic and covalent bond?

Watch
charl0ttew
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Please can somebody explain to me the difference between ionic and covalent bonding? I really don't understand!
seokjin's laugh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by charl0ttew)
Please can somebody explain to me the difference between ionic and covalent bonding? I really don't understand!
Ionic bonding is when metal and non metal react together

Covalent bonding is when both non metals bond together
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by loriliecox)
Ionic bonding is when metal and non metal react together

Covalent bonding is when both non metals bond together
This isn't really correct.

For example, metal complexes involve covalent bonds with water, chlorine etc

Not mention the whole field of organometallic chemistry that has metals forming covalent bonds with Carbon
k.n.h.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You know you can check Bitesize, right?

An ionic bond is formed between metals and non-metals and involves the transfer of electrons from the metal to the non-metal.

A covalent bond occurs between two non-metals and involves sharing electrons between each other.
charl0ttew
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
How hard did you try to understand?
Uhh pretty hard?
charl0ttew
Rep:
?
(Original post by k.n.h.)
You know you can check Bitesize, right?

An ionic bond is formed between metals and non-metals and involves the transfer of electrons from the metal to the non-metal.

A covalent bond occurs between two non-metals and involves sharing electrons between each other.
Thank you! And yeah, was just overwhelmed by information
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For an ionic bond to form, an atom would lose an electron and become positively charged. Another atom would receive that electron and become negatively charged. Opposites attract, so these two ions would attract each other electrostatically.

In a covalent bond, two atoms would share a pair of electrons. Normally at GCSE, one atom would prove one electron and the other atom would provide the other. The electrostatic attraction between the negatively charged shared pair of electrons and postitively charged nucleus allows the bond to form and maintains the bond
k.n.h.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you! And yeah, was just overwhelmed by information
Ah, ok - and no problem! Just check that site to confirm
rob15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Covalent is where electrons are shared, ionic is where electrons are transferred. Ionic is with a metal and non metal, covalent with 2 non metals.
charl0ttew
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
For an ionic bond to form, an atom would lose an electron and become positively charged. Another atom would receive that electron and become negatively charged. Opposites attract, so these two ions would attract each other electrostatically.

In a covalent bond, two atoms would share a pair of electrons. Normally at GCSE, one atom would prove one electron and the other atom would provide the other. The electrostatic attraction between the negatively charged shared pair of electrons and postitively charged nucleus allows the bond to form and maintains the bond
Thank you so much! I think I understand now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
5.04%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.27%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.27%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (20)
14.39%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
28.78%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.27%

Watched Threads