Power & conflict poetry revision

Watch
username3539714
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Should I revise all poems or only about 5.
rob15
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AkshayManjunath)
Should I revise all poems or only about 5.
Better safe than sorry
username3539714
Rep:
(Original post by rob15)
Better safe than sorry
Okay, thanks
Zahra_2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
u need to know all of them like at least be able to annotate whatever poem comes up in the question but my teacher and loads of teacher son YouTube recommend to know these 7 poems very well because u can compare them with all the others but u still need to know the others but not deeply
the 7 poems that they recommend
exposure
my last Duchess
remains
ozymandias
London
storm on the island
war photographer
if u know all of these very well and the others briefly then u well do well
username3539714
Rep:
(Original post by Zahra_2001)
u need to know all of them like at least be able to annotate whatever poem comes up in the question but my teacher and loads of teacher son YouTube recommend to know these 7 poems very well because u can compare them with all the others but u still need to know the others but not deeply
exposure
my last Duchess
remains
ozymandias
London
storm on the island
war photographer
So I should just pick key quotations from them & analyse them and I’ll be fine?
lmaooome
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
exposure
my last Duchess
remains
ozymandias
London
storm on the island
war photographer
There's literally no point in knowing "My last duchess" well, i think tissue or poppies would be better to know.
Zahra_2001
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AkshayManjunath)
So I should just pick key quotations from them & analyse them and I’ll be fine?
u need to know the language, structure and form of these poems very well and have a general idea of the others
I suggest you watch Mr bruff on YouTube and go to his power and conflict playlist his videos are really good and I wish I found him earlier
rob15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
exposure
my last Duchess
remains
ozymandias
London
storm on the island
war photographer
But it wont be ozymandias or my last ditches because ozymandias was on the test last year
pottah
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I haven’t learnt the poems by heart, but I’ve made notes on the key themes and quotes of each one, as well as which ones are best to compare

Maybe know the themes, 5/6 quotes + word analysis for each one? That’s what I’ve done
Zahra_2001
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lmaooome)
There's literally no point in knowing "My last duchess" well, i think tissue or poppies would be better to know.
but what if it comes in the test it would be harder to annotate from not revising it well cuz it's really long that's my opinion on y my teacher and others put it on the list
Zahra_2001
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rob15)
But it wont be ozymandias or my last ditches because ozymandias was on the test last year
u don't know if it is or not because in the old spec sometimes the same poem came in 2 years
also this lost is not what might come up but these poems u can basically compare them with whichever one comes up so let's say bayonet charge comes up u can compare it to one of those in the list that u know well such as exposure
lmaooome
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
but what if it comes in the test it would be harder to annotate from not revising it well cuz it's really long that's my opinion on y my teacher and others put it on the list
Yeah, but think about it - it's the longest poem so there is a small chance of it being on the exam, and it has to match the abilities of lower and higher ability students which it doesn't in my view anyways.

I think it'd be good to know at least a quote from each of the poems you won't learn in depth, so there can be at least some comparison in your answer otherwise.
rob15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
u don't know if it is or not because in the old spec sometimes the same poem came in 2 years
also this lost is not what might come up but these poems u can basically compare them with whichever one comes up so let's say bayonet charge comes up u can compare it to one of those in the list that u know well such as exposure
Ah k
Zahra_2001
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
But guys please don't take what I said for sure that's just what my teachers and loads of others online have said in still gonna learn the other ones and test myself on annotating them without my notes
Zahra_2001
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, but think about it - it's the longest poem so there is a small chance of it being on the exam, and it has to match the abilities of lower and higher ability students which it doesn't in my view anyways.

I think it'd be good to know at least a quote from each of the poems you won't learn in depth, so there can be at least some comparison in your answer otherwise.
obviously u need to know the other poems like at least one quote
u don't know about it being less likely to be on the question they are evil lol
it could not be in the question but it might be the best choice of comparison to the poem u get
anyways I'm just saying what my teacher recommended us and what other teachers online said too
Anonymous697989
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, but think about it - it's the longest poem so there is a small chance of it being on the exam, and it has to match the abilities of lower and higher ability students which it doesn't in my view anyway.

Hey, are you doing Literature as well?
I just recorded myself reading the poems and going to listen to them whilst going to school, tuition and maybe when I'm sleeping lol.
I fully annotated all poems and my tutor gave me the best spreadsheet with key quotes, themes and context.
lmaooome
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous697989)
I just recorded myself reading the poems and going to listen to them whilst going to school, tuition and maybe when I'm sleeping lol.
I fully annotated all poems and my tutor gave me the best spreadsheet with key quotes, themes and context.
No, haha I did my literature gcse last year x

That’s really good, but I think my best advice would be to plan out your comparisons so when you do get the chosen poem you already have in mind what you’re doing.
lmaooome
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
That may be your personal view but I think you could write about better comparisons without using “My last Duchess” x
Anonymous697989
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
That may be your personal view but I think you could write about better comparisons without using “My last Duchess” x
trust me the ideas and analysis and quotes are sick
i might do some comparison on thursday as thats when i'll be finished with jekyll and hyde and macbeth
lmaooome
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
trust me the ideas and analysis and quotes are sick
i might do some comparison on thursday as thats when i'll be finished with jekyll and hyde and macbeth
Idk I hated it when I was doing it last year, yes the ideas are good but tbh it only compared to one other poem which was the prelude one in my view anyways
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads