Are all provisional driving licenses the same?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I want to do a CBT so I can go on to do the motorcycle theory and practical but according to the gov.uk website, I need a motorcycle provisional license in order to do the CBT. However, on some pages it says I just need a provisional license.

I ask my question because I don't remember if I was asked what vehicle I intend to drive when applying for my provisional, I'm pretty confident I wasn't asked at all and just filled out what was needed.

In short, can I still do a motorcycle CBT, theory, and practical with any provisional license?
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you can, I might be wrong and someone more into bikes could tell you but how it worked when I passed my driving test long ago, is that you could get a provisional licence for a car and be able to ride motorcycles, you could also pass your test in a car and still be able to ride motorcycles.I think there is a somesort of cc limit to the morocycles though.
However if you pass your bike test only and not car test you are not permitted to drive a car.
charlotte100200
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
on the back of your provisional it should have the categories of cars which you are permitted to drive and it should have them filled in, from my memory the original car provisional doesn't have the bike filled in (? i don't quite remember tbh) so I think that means you can't drive a bike with it and you might need a different one? Then again, I don't think i've ever seen a specific licence just for motor vehicles so?
I'd say call up a learning company and ask them
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to Cars and motoring.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I want to do a CBT so I can go on to do the motorcycle theory and practical but according to the gov.uk website, I need a motorcycle provisional license in order to do the CBT. However, on some pages it says I just need a provisional license.

I ask my question because I don't remember if I was asked what vehicle I intend to drive when applying for my provisional, I'm pretty confident I wasn't asked at all and just filled out what was needed.

In short, can I still do a motorcycle CBT, theory, and practical with any provisional license?
Assuming you have a standard UK provisional licence you should be able to do the CBT. Although there are different types of provisional, unless you have some disability or other impairment you likely already have the provisional entitlements you need.

You can do two things to check. Simplest is to look at your provisional photocard, the entitlement categories section (section 9) should have an A in it. You'll likely have something like "AM/A1/A2/A/B/r/k". AM means moped, A1 and A2 are different categories of motorcycle licence, A is full motorcycle licence, B is car and r and k are some other weird stuff (possibly tractors? I don't remember).

You can also confirm your entitlements by entering your licence number on the gov.uk online service here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence. This will be more up-to-date than your photocard so I'd recommend doing this check.

After you've submitted your info, you'll have a list of provisional entitlements under the "Vehicles you can drive" tab. The one you want is Category A, which should be listed under "Vehicles you can provisionally drive" on that page.

If it's not listed, call DVLA and they should be able to help you update your licence details.
Andrew38.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi my name is Andrew, I'm trying to apply for my first application how ever becasue I havent got a UK passport I have to get someone with a profession and has a full driving license to complete part 2 of my application how ever due to my mental health making be housebound for 7 years only past couple months I took the big step to come out of been housebound I feel like I'm in no man's land having no friends and just moving to a new area places like a GP or other health services can't do it you need to of knowing them atleast 2 years has anyone got some advice? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (471)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (360)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (452)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (151)
4.69%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (193)
5.99%
Loneliness (279)
8.66%
Financial worries (114)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (129)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (147)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (177)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (288)
8.94%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (302)
9.37%

Watched Threads