Primary/Secondary Teaching Scotland

Watch
louise672287
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'v got two questions, both for become a teacher in Scotland

1. Can you become a primary teaching with a neuroscience degree?

2. Can you become a secondary biology teacher with a degree in neuroscience?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by louise672287)

You will need a primary education/studies degree for primary teaching or a PGCE for secondary.
Hobo-Joe
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by louise672287)

There are 2 ways to become a qualified teacher, either do a 3 year course (4 in Scotland) undergraduate course in Primary Education or Secondary Education (Undergraduate Secondary Education is not as common), or you can do a PGDE - a 1 year postgraduate course in either Primary Education or Secondary Education.

1. Yes, you can do a postgraduate degree in Primary Education at many unis, these are are called PGDE's. These course are 1 year long. Due to the nature of what you are teaching as a Primary Teacher you do not need a specific degree, meaning you have the same chance of getting into the course if you studied neuroscience as you would if you studied music. What matters is your work experience.

2. Depends on the uni, you cannot simply be a 'Secondary School Teacher', you have to qualify in a specific subject. If you want to be a biology teacher you have to apply for a PGDE in 'Secondary Education: Biology (and sciences)', and you should definitely contact a specific uni you like and ask about their entry requirements. Generally they will accept any 'biological sciences' undergraduate degree. The only problem that I could potentially see is that they might group neuroscience with psychology rather than biology, or see it as a subset of human biology. Honestly though, not too sure on this point as I don't study neuroscience. One more thing to note is that they will likely not accept any undergraduate medical courses due to the more 'clinical' side.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (0)
0%
October 2021 (5)
71.43%
November 2021 (1)
14.29%
December 2021 (0)
0%
January 2021 (1)
14.29%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (0)
0%