The Student Room Group

Is this good a level choices

I had many careers in my mind such as teaching, law and politics.
Teaching but dropped that idea as its stressful and you aren't respected in most cases as well as terrible pay.
Lawyer to lock away criminals and turn this world into a better place and I've always dreamt of getting paid well.
And a politician to create and develop laws that will benefit everyone.
I decided: Literature(I enjoy it), History(also enjoy it), Gov and Pol and Economics. I might do these 4 or drop one. Which one shall I drop or carry them all and are they good for my choice of careers?
Original post by Anonymous697989
I had many careers in my mind such as teaching, law and politics.
Teaching but dropped that idea as its stressful and you aren't respected in most cases as well as terrible pay.
Lawyer to lock away criminals and turn this world into a better place and I've always dreamt of getting paid well.
And a politician to create and develop laws that will benefit everyone.
I decided: Literature(I enjoy it), History(also enjoy it), Gov and Pol and Economics. I might do these 4 or drop one. Which one shall I drop or carry them all and are they good for my choice of careers?

I've picked essay based a levels as i'm good at that.
I was thinking of dropping Literature as right now I have so many books and poems to memorise(GCSE) or history idk
these are good options, you have two facilitating subjects and i'm sure gov + pol will compliment them well. if you wanna drop any, i'd drop economics but you might end up enjoying it, so... drop a subject that you won't enjoy/are not enjoying.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
these are good options, you have two facilitating subjects and i'm sure gov + pol will compliment them well. if you wanna drop any, i'd drop economics but you might end up enjoying it, so... drop a subject that you won't enjoy/are not enjoying.

I enjoy Literature and History. Is economics fun? I'll probably pick all four an drop the one I dislike. I will do modern history as it links with literature and economics seems relatively easy and politics links with law and politician
I enjoy Literature and History. Is economics fun? I'll probably pick all four an drop the one I dislike. I will do modern history as it links with literature and economics seems relatively easy and politics links with law and politician

no idea, sorry! i'm in year 11 myself. i heard economics is a lot of writing also but i presume there'll be some maths within it too.
yes, it's best to drop the subject you dislike.
no idea, sorry! i'm in year 11 myself. i heard economics is a lot of writing also but i presume there'll be some maths within it too.
yes, it's best to drop the subject you dislike.

no need to apologize
TRust me in good at writing lol
when my English teacher asks us to write a brief intro I write a 3-page essay lmao
Do I want something challenging maybe not do politics?
I can get a grade 6 in maths and 8 in literature as my grade right now is 7+ and my end of year 11 target is a grade 7= lol
my maths is a grade 4= so I can get it to a grade 6 by next year
and history I can remember events kinda easily and I'm on a 6- so i can push to up to a 7+.
:smile:
no need to apologize
TRust me in good at writing lol
when my English teacher asks us to write a brief intro I write a 3-page essay lmao
Do I want something challenging maybe not do politics?
I can get a grade 6 in maths and 8 in literature as my grade right now is 7+ and my end of year 11 target is a grade 7= lol
my maths is a grade 4= so I can get it to a grade 6 by next year
and history I can remember events kinda easily and I'm on a 6- so i can push to up to a 7+.
:smile:

i've heard english + history are tough at a-level, so do a subject you enjoy to balance it out. if essay-writing is your strong suit, maybe pick gov + politics?
i've heard english + history are tough at a-level, so do a subject you enjoy to balance it out. if essay-writing is your strong suit, maybe pick gov + politics?

well, might drop history, if i get a good grade like a A or A* maybe but i'll do all four and drop the ones i don't like

i am aimed all 7's but i can get aboved in some and a 6 in maths and science

could i do 4 a levels if i enjoy them

however i would rather get A*AA or AAA then A*ABB or AAAB.
sorry for bothering you with these questions
well, might drop history, if i get a good grade like a A or A* maybe but i'll do all four and drop the ones i don't like

i am aimed all 7's but i can get aboved in some and a 6 in maths and science

could i do 4 a levels if i enjoy them

however i would rather get A*AA or AAA then A*ABB or AAAB.
sorry for bothering you with these questions

if you think your grades are gonna suffer doing 4, it's best doing 3. maybe try four for a while and if you can't handle it drop one of them.
unis only ask for 3 a-levels, so you should be fine.
Literature and History can be really hard if you don't put the effort in
Gov + Pol is really easy, especially as it's still currently modular (idk about later years tho)

I wouldn't know much about politics, but with Law at uni, you don't have to have certain A-levels to take it, so just do what you want to do

Also... bit of a side note but I know that Oxford (and therefore most likely other uni's) don't care too much about a 4th A level because not all colleges give the option to carry on to their students... stuff about it being unfair blah blah blah
if you think your grades are gonna suffer doing 4, it's best doing 3. maybe try four for a while and if you can't handle it drop one of them.
unis only ask for 3 a-levels, so you should be fine.

ye imma stick with 3 but try out 4 and drop one maybe around october/november
good luck:smile:
Original post by charlotte100200
Literature and History can be really hard if you don't put the effort in
Gov + Pol is really easy, especially as it's still currently modular (idk about later years tho)

I wouldn't know much about politics, but with Law at uni, you don't have to have certain A-levels to take it, so just do what you want to do

Also... bit of a side note but I know that Oxford (and therefore most likely other uni's) don't care too much about a 4th A level because not all colleges give the option to carry on to their students... stuff about it being unfair blah blah blah

i put a lot of effort in literature and i'll history, maths and science in year 11. Imma do 4 then drop the one i'll dislike, probably history as i've heard it's hard
good luck:smile:

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest