finding area using integration Watch

Iconic_panda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
so I know that if we integrate between two x-coordiates you will get an area. if that area is below the x-axis, the area will appear as a negative value. Would that happen to parametric and polar integration as well? If i integrate an area below x-axis using parametric and polar coordinates, would it appear as positive value?
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Iconic_panda)
so I know that if we integrate between two x-coordiates you will get an area. if that area is below the x-axis, the area will appear as a negative value. Would that happen to parametric and polar integration as well? If i integrate an area below x-axis using parametric and polar coordinates, would it appear as positive value?
All of those can be answered in one go if you consider what an integral actually is for an area. For \displaystyle \int_a^b f(x) .dx you are essentially summing up the products f(x) \cdot dx from x=a to x=b. If a<b we get that dx>0. The only way the product can be -ve is if f(x) < 0 in the domain, hence how we get -ve area.

Same principle applies to any other integral. For polar, we have \displaystyle \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} r(\theta) . d\theta and if  r(\theta) \geq 0 then it cannot be negative. Generally, we have \theta_1 < \theta_2 so dx is +ve, and the product is +ve and so the area is always +ve. You can get it being -ve if the larger limit is the lower limit so that dx is -ve, or is r(\theta)<0
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
11.86%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.25%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.16%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.43%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (25)
12.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (59)
30.41%

Watched Threads