The Student Room Group

Sussex or East Anglia- which has better prospects in practical development work?

Hi all!

My name’s Arushi, I’m from India. I’ve got unconditional offers from Sussex IDS and East Anglia.
From what I hear, IDS has the no. 1 ranking in development with an excellent faculty and networking opportunities. However, I’m a little anxious as there are no work placements, unlike East Anglia.
I’m more concerned about prospects in something more practical, and it feels Sussex is more research-driven? Considering I’m also an international student, I’d be interested in understanding which course would provide me with better prospects?
I have a media background but have been working on outreach for a local NGO for the past year in various remote locations. I’m very keen on working with a globally reputed organisation in Europe or overseas, but not necessarily in research intensive work, after this degree.
Was hoping someone could help me clarify my concerns to make my ultimate decision between the two!

Thanks,
Arushi
Original post by Arushidutt
Hi all!

My name’s Arushi, I’m from India. I’ve got unconditional offers from Sussex IDS and East Anglia.
From what I hear, IDS has the no. 1 ranking in development with an excellent faculty and networking opportunities. However, I’m a little anxious as there are no work placements, unlike East Anglia.
I’m more concerned about prospects in something more practical, and it feels Sussex is more research-driven? Considering I’m also an international student, I’d be interested in understanding which course would provide me with better prospects?
I have a media background but have been working on outreach for a local NGO for the past year in various remote locations. I’m very keen on working with a globally reputed organisation in Europe or overseas, but not necessarily in research intensive work, after this degree.
Was hoping someone could help me clarify my concerns to make my ultimate decision between the two!

Thanks,
Arushi

Hey Arushi!

Congratulations on your unconditional offers! I'd be happy to talk you through the employability opportunities available to PG International Development (Dev) students at UEA! :h:

The Dev school supports students in finding internships and work placements with development organisations during their degree. This process is student lead, meaning that you will have a lot of influence over the kinds of organisations you wish to work with - this is particularly useful if you are looking to gain experience in a particular field. :u: Read more about our Dev internships here!

We also host a number of professional skills training courses throughout the academic year. These optional courses normally take place over the space of a few days, and enable you to develop competencies in a range of practical skills that development organisations value in their employees. Some of the courses available to this year's students include 'financial management for project managers' & an 'introduction to mapping and geographic information systems' - for more information on the skills training courses, click here!

Finally, I think you might be interested in reading some of our graduate stories - seeing what graduates in my field get up to once they leave UEA has always been helpful and inspiring to me, and I hope it is for you to! Check out our 'Alumni Stories' page to see what some of UEA's postgraduate Dev students have been up to since they graduated. :smile:

Feel free to come back at me with any questions you have about UEA or the Dev school :h:

Fred - UEA PG Rep
Reply 2
Hello!
I’d want to connect with a few alums from the program, indian students if possible. Could you help with that?
Original post by Arushidutt
Hello!
I’d want to connect with a few alums from the program, indian students if possible. Could you help with that?

I'm sure this can be arranged for you, but we'll need to get you in contact with the Dev school directly. I'll drop you a personal message with details regarding who the best person to contact is in order to get in contact with some alumni. :smile:

Fred - UEA PG Rep
Reply 4
I’m not able to open the message. Could you drop me a pm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending