Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

Can someone explain how to do this question? With this question type, I always find myself spending ages drawing out the possibilities... Is there a shorter and sharper method? I got the wrong answer anyhow

Thanks!
Attached files
username3718068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 020200)
Hi,

Can someone explain how to do this question? With this question type, I always find myself spending ages drawing out the possibilities... Is there a shorter and sharper method? I got the wrong answer anyhow

Thanks!
Well firstly, you can tell that the molecule is saturated because the sum of hydrogen and chlorine atoms is 8, and given there are 3 carbons it follows the 2n + 2 rule as in alkanes.

So now all we can do is figure out how many ways we can bond the hydrogens in different C atoms.

We can bond both hydrogens at the same carbon at C1 and C2.

We can place 1 H at C1, and another H on C2 or C3

We can consider the spatial arrangement of Hydrogens in the above examples, but then we would be talking about stereoisomerism and the question talks about structural isomers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
28.41%
No (126)
71.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise