Where to study: Durham or St. Andrews?!?

Watch this thread
slindh
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
SOS I am stuck with the hardest decision to choose between these two schools!
I have a conditional at Durham for BA Geography and an unconditional at St. Andrews for Environmental Earth Sciences (BSc). I am a Brit who lives in NYC.
Any helpful comments would be great Thanks !!
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Moved to Geography and earth sciences
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by slindh)
SOS I am stuck with the hardest decision to choose between these two schools!
I have a conditional at Durham for BA Geography and an unconditional at St. Andrews for Environmental Earth Sciences (BSc). I am a Brit who lives in NYC.
Any helpful comments would be great Thanks !!
Well you've applied for two pretty different courses. Are you more interested in being trained as a scientist, or being trained as a geographer?
slindh
Rep:
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Well you've applied for two pretty different courses. Are you more interested in being trained as a scientist, or being trained as a geographer?

Yes, so I agree. I am interested in the modules offered at Durham and I am a little nervous about the EES course at St. Andrews as it contains geochemistry, which might be a little out of my interest. However, I really am looking for studying climate change...
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
My cousin did geography at Durham, and had such an amazing time he stayed and did his masters there.

He was doing human geography, though.
Plagioclase
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yes, so I agree. I am interested in the modules offered at Durham and I am a little nervous about the EES course at St. Andrews as it contains geochemistry, which might be a little out of my interest. However, I really am looking for studying climate change...
What aspect of climate change are you interested in though? If you're interested in the human impacts and interactions with climate change then a Geography degree would be a good idea, but (particularly since you've applied for a Geography BA rather than a BSc) if it's the science of climate change that interests you, you really want to be trained as a scientist rather than a geographer. Also, geochemistry is actually very interesting and it's more about applying relatively straightforward chemistry to geoscience problems.
slindh
Rep:
What aspect of climate change are you interested in though? If you're interested in the human impacts and interactions with climate change then a Geography degree would be a good idea, but (particularly since you've applied for a Geography BA rather than a BSc) if it's the science of climate change that interests you, you really want to be trained as a scientist rather than a geographer. Also, geochemistry is actually very interesting and it's more about applying relatively straightforward chemistry to geoscience problems.
I am more drawn to the human aspect of climate change, and I have looked at the modules offered at Durham that are super interesting! I do still think the science is compelling, however, at Durham, I am able to take a module from the Geography Bsc degree, so that way I can do both the human side and some modules of the science side!
Plagioclase
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I am more drawn to the human aspect of climate change, and I have looked at the modules offered at Durham that are super interesting! I do still think the science is compelling, however, at Durham, I am able to take a module from the Geography Bsc degree, so that way I can do both the human side and some modules of the science side!
Well it sounds like you really want to do the Geography degree then, so I'd go with that
slindh
Rep:
Well it sounds like you really want to do the Geography degree then, so I'd go with that
yup, i suppose!! talking about it helped, thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
29.2%
Take a gap year (21)
15.33%
Resit my exams (37)
27.01%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.14%
I don't know yet (15)
10.95%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.38%

Watched Threads