slindh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
SOS I am stuck with the hardest decision to choose between these two schools!
I have a conditional at Durham for BA Geography and an unconditional at St. Andrews for Environmental Earth Sciences (BSc). I am a Brit who lives in NYC.
Any helpful comments would be great Thanks !!
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to Geography and earth sciences
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by slindh)
SOS I am stuck with the hardest decision to choose between these two schools!
I have a conditional at Durham for BA Geography and an unconditional at St. Andrews for Environmental Earth Sciences (BSc). I am a Brit who lives in NYC.
Any helpful comments would be great Thanks !!
Well you've applied for two pretty different courses. Are you more interested in being trained as a scientist, or being trained as a geographer?
slindh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Well you've applied for two pretty different courses. Are you more interested in being trained as a scientist, or being trained as a geographer?

Yes, so I agree. I am interested in the modules offered at Durham and I am a little nervous about the EES course at St. Andrews as it contains geochemistry, which might be a little out of my interest. However, I really am looking for studying climate change...
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My cousin did geography at Durham, and had such an amazing time he stayed and did his masters there.

He was doing human geography, though.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, so I agree. I am interested in the modules offered at Durham and I am a little nervous about the EES course at St. Andrews as it contains geochemistry, which might be a little out of my interest. However, I really am looking for studying climate change...
What aspect of climate change are you interested in though? If you're interested in the human impacts and interactions with climate change then a Geography degree would be a good idea, but (particularly since you've applied for a Geography BA rather than a BSc) if it's the science of climate change that interests you, you really want to be trained as a scientist rather than a geographer. Also, geochemistry is actually very interesting and it's more about applying relatively straightforward chemistry to geoscience problems.
slindh
Rep:
?
What aspect of climate change are you interested in though? If you're interested in the human impacts and interactions with climate change then a Geography degree would be a good idea, but (particularly since you've applied for a Geography BA rather than a BSc) if it's the science of climate change that interests you, you really want to be trained as a scientist rather than a geographer. Also, geochemistry is actually very interesting and it's more about applying relatively straightforward chemistry to geoscience problems.
I am more drawn to the human aspect of climate change, and I have looked at the modules offered at Durham that are super interesting! I do still think the science is compelling, however, at Durham, I am able to take a module from the Geography Bsc degree, so that way I can do both the human side and some modules of the science side!
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am more drawn to the human aspect of climate change, and I have looked at the modules offered at Durham that are super interesting! I do still think the science is compelling, however, at Durham, I am able to take a module from the Geography Bsc degree, so that way I can do both the human side and some modules of the science side!
Well it sounds like you really want to do the Geography degree then, so I'd go with that
slindh
Rep:
?
Well it sounds like you really want to do the Geography degree then, so I'd go with that
yup, i suppose!! talking about it helped, thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads