Power and Conflict, which ones to compare together? Watch

AngelicFailure
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
Just wondering, which poems compare well with each other for the English Literature 'Power and Conflict' cluster? I've seen Mr Bruff's video, but I feel like some of them just DO NOT work well together.

What are y'all comparing with each other?

This format would be appreciated
Ozymandias x My Last Duchess

Thanks!
EnglishMuffin_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's all well and good to try to match up the poems beforehand, but honestly it depends on the question that's asked.

Say, for example, somebody wants to compare "Remains" and "Bayonet Charge" together because they both have the conflict of war as their central theme, but the question asks them to compare "the effects of war on people" with "Remains and one other poem", it'll be much harder to compare the two. Equally if you're asked to compare the power of nature, etc. That's why personally I don't think it's the best idea to try to match up each poem to another specific one.

Though there are some poems that link very well to each other, and some poems that generally link nicely with most of the other poems in the cluster (like Exposure, which focuses nicely on both the power of nature and human conflict), which poems to compare completely depends on what comes up in exam day.
Bookaddict02
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dpends on the theme...what do you have in mind?
lydiarutharnold
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  116.8 KB
Bookaddict02
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  pic5000.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  68.5 KB here u go.
AngelicFailure
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bookaddict02)
dpends on the theme...what do you have in mind?
Just conflict or nature (The power of these)
AngelicFailure
Rep:
?
(Original post by lydiarutharnold)
Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  116.8 KB
Oh my god, thank you!!
AngelicFailure
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bookaddict02)
Name:  pic5000.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  68.5 KB here u go.
Lol, I have this - I was wanting a more direct kinda thing y'know - but thanks anyway - imma have a look at it.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AngelicFailure)
Hi,
Just wondering, which poems compare well with each other for the English Literature 'Power and Conflict' cluster? I've seen Mr Bruff's video, but I feel like some of them just DO NOT work well together.

What are y'all comparing with each other?

This format would be appreciated
Ozymandias x My Last Duchess

Thanks!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...40&postcount=3
lydiarutharnold
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lifesaver
AngelicFailure
Rep:
?
(Original post by EnglishMuffin_)
It's all well and good to try to match up the poems beforehand, but honestly it depends on the question that's asked.

Say, for example, somebody wants to compare "Remains" and "Bayonet Charge" together because they both have the conflict of war as their central theme, but the question asks them to compare "the effects of war on people" with "Remains and one other poem", it'll be much harder to compare the two. Equally if you're asked to compare the power of nature, etc. That's why personally I don't think it's the best idea to try to match up each poem to another specific one.

Though there are some poems that link very well to each other, and some poems that generally link nicely with most of the other poems in the cluster (like Exposure, which focuses nicely on both the power of nature and human conflict), which poems to compare completely depends on what comes up in exam day.
True, agreed
AngelicFailure
Rep:
?
You freaking LIFESAVER!!!
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lydiarutharnold)
lifesaver
(Original post by AngelicFailure)
You freaking LIFESAVER!!!
Glad it looks useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Open Day – BPC, GDL, LPC and MA Law - Bristol campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 18 Jan '20
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (68)
15.25%
1 (60)
13.45%
2 (57)
12.78%
3 (91)
20.4%
4 (91)
20.4%
5 (79)
17.71%