How many marks will you lose for an error in referencing?

Watch
Abdelrahim96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I have had this assignment which is an essay of 3,000 words. In the essay I had about 39 references in total. However, I noticed that I made a mistake as one of the references did not match the in text citation. This was after submisison (Final year assignment)

It was an online web source and I cited the source using the Authors name and the year in which it was published 2011 (in text citation). However, in the reference list I accidently put the name of the website and date in which I accessed the link (2018). The link of the source is on the reference link.

This happened because Innitiatlly I had put the name of the website within the body of the assignment, however later I discovered the author name and date of publication. Had amended that but forgot to amend it on the reference list.

Has somoene ever made a similar mistake? how did it turn out?
and if not, do you think I will lose 4-5 marks because of one mismatch? one friend told me I might lose upto 7 marks XD how, I don't know...... like out of all 39 references one was not listed properly..... know its too late to do anything now, but its good to know what to expect....
Lily048
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Abdelrahim96)
So I have had this assignment which is an essay of 3,000 words. In the essay I had about 39 references in total. However, I noticed that I made a mistake as one of the references did not match the in text citation. This was after submisison (Final year assignment)

It was an online web source and I cited the source using the Authors name and the year in which it was published 2011 (in text citation). However, in the reference list I accidently put the name of the website and date in which I accessed the link (2018). The link of the source is on the reference link.

This happened because Innitiatlly I had put the name of the website within the body of the assignment, however later I discovered the author name and date of publication. Had amended that but forgot to amend it on the reference list.

Has somoene ever made a similar mistake? how did it turn out?
and if not, do you think I will lose 4-5 marks because of one mismatch? one friend told me I might lose upto 7 marks XD how, I don't know...... like out of all 39 references one was not listed properly..... know its too late to do anything now, but its good to know what to expect....
You’ll likely get marked down for ‘irregularities within the reference list’ which will only cost you a couple to a few marks, thats if they even notice, I’ve seen markers not even realise before, but likely they will.
It is the difference between a 2:1 and a 2:2 or a 2:1 and a 1st though!
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Calm down. No-one is going to check every single reference so it’s unlikely it’ll ever get noticed.

Even if it does, mark schemes might give a couple of percentage points for referencing overall, and one error won’t affect the score. Check your own mark scheme and see what it could be. Or don’t, because there’s nothing you can do about it now, so just relax until you get your mark back.
Abdelrahim96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lily048)
You’ll likely get marked down for ‘irregularities within the reference list’ which will only cost you a couple to a few marks, thats if they even notice, I’ve seen markers not even realise before, but likely they will.
It is the difference between a 2:1 and a 2:2 or a 2:1 and a 1st though!

A couple of marks for a mistake in one out of 39 references.... why is the world so harsh XD....

According to the marking criteria, the overall presentation of the report is worth %15 but even that is composed of 3 sections i.e. referencing , Appropriate academic language and then overall flow of the report....

I was hoping that they mark that mistake out of maybe 5% assuming referencing is worth a third of the overall presentation?
Abdelrahim96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Calm down. No-one is going to check every single reference so it’s unlikely it’ll ever get noticed.

Even if it does, mark schemes might give a couple of percentage points for referencing overall, and one error won’t affect the score. Check your own mark scheme and see what it could be. Or don’t, because there’s nothing you can do about it now, so just relax until you get your mark back.
I really hope that is the case, Many people said that not all references are checked so I really hope this one doesn't. True, I think I might really need to calm down since there isn't anything I can do now....

just hoping for the best
Abdelrahim96
Rep:
?
Oh well, got the results back and got a 67

decent grade and am happy with it lol
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Abdelrahim96)
Oh well, got the results back and got a 67

decent grade and am happy with it lol
Nice one!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads