The Student Room Group

When is the latest you've heard back from a uni?

I'm still waiting on a reply from Glasgow. Like, any reply whatsoever, they don't even reply to emails/ phone. But anyway, what are the UCAS horror stories? Has anybody ever made it to the May deadline without a reply and been rejected by the system? If not, how far into April did you have to wait? And where do people draw the line? I'm would withdraw my application in a heartbeat at this point if I didn't have personal reasons why I wanted to go to Glasgow in particular.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rmcewan15
I'm still waiting on a reply from Glasgow. Like, any reply whatsoever, they don't even reply to emails/ phone. But anyway, what are the UCAS horror stories? Has anybody ever made it to the May deadline without a reply and been rejected by the system? If not, how far into April did you have to wait? And where do people draw the line? I'm would withdraw my application in a heartbeat at this point if I didn't have personal reasons why I wanted to go to Glasgow in particular.

They don’t answer the phone?
10 days before my UCAS time period ran out... the uni i now attend... means maybe your on the maybe pile... but its better then a quick rejection... just wait.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
They don’t answer the phone?

Neither the phone nor email. It is the height of rudeness. As I said, if it wasn't for the fact I am utterly desperate to go there, I would have withdrawn my application a long time ago and accepted one of my other ones.
Neither the phone nor email. It is the height of rudeness. As I said, if it wasn't for the fact I am utterly desperate to go there, I would have withdrawn my application a long time ago and accepted one of my other ones.

what course are you applying for?
For most courses, 31st March is the deadline I believe.

Are you applying for medicine? That can go into April and May.
Reply 6
Original post by Realitysreflexx
10 days before my UCAS time period ran out... the uni i now attend... means maybe your on the maybe pile... but its better then a quick rejection... just wait.

That's great news! I'm hoping that's the reason, but as time wears on, and now that all my friends (some of whom have arguably weaker applications) have heard back from them, I'm beginning to lose hope.

When you say before the UCAS time period, do you mean they got back to you literally in the third week of April? Because I'm not sure I can wait that long, there's gap years stuff that I'm looking to apply to if I don't get in and the application deadlines are in the next couple of weeks.
Reply 7
Original post by rozanov
what course are you applying for?

Law, to be fair. Still, some communication would be nice.
Reply 8
Original post by LeapingLucy
For most courses, 31st March is the deadline I believe.

Are you applying for medicine? That can go into April and May.

Edinburgh said that to me actually and I was really confused by what they meant. Is that a deadline the unis set for themselves or is it an actual industry standard>

And no, Law, but I imagine it can have the same kind of waiting times. I'm more frustrated by them being completely inaccessible than the fact I have to wait a couple extra weeks to hear back.
That's great news! I'm hoping that's the reason, but as time wears on, and now that all my friends (some of whom have arguably weaker applications) have heard back from them, I'm beginning to lose hope.

When you say before the UCAS time period, do you mean they got back to you literally in the third week of April? Because I'm not sure I can wait that long, there's gap years stuff that I'm looking to apply to if I don't get in and the application deadlines are in the next couple of weeks.

I applied through foundation so my window was later the uni had until the 13 of july to reply..
they replied on the 5th of july.

You can still apply for gap year stuff now! Its an application not a commitment.....even if you get gap year offers it doesnt mean you have to take them!

Its called giving yourself options!
Law, to be fair. Still, some communication would be nice.

I see, haven't heard back from law as well. Common or Scots?
Reply 11
I applied through foundation so my window was later the uni had until the 13 of july to reply..
they replied on the 5th of july.

You can still apply for gap year stuff now! Its an application not a commitment.....even if you get gap year offers it doesnt mean you have to take them!

Its called giving yourself options!

Oh wow, I would die if I had to wait that long. The wait is killing me and its only the start of April.

Definitely! The main thing I want to do though is volunteering through the European Solidarity Corps and I'd feel a bit bad messing them around cos the projects I want to work on are for like disabled people and kids and they might really need the help. I'm definitely gonna take a good look again tonight though!
Edinburgh said that to me actually and I was really confused by what they meant. Is that a deadline the unis set for themselves or is it an actual industry standard>

And no, Law, but I imagine it can have the same kind of waiting times. I'm more frustrated by them being completely inaccessible than the fact I have to wait a couple extra weeks to hear back.

As far as I can tell, they set the March deadline themselves, the real deadline is May 3rd.

Their VC is very active on twitter https://twitter.com/uofgvc I'm sure he would be interested to know if they aren't picking up the phones.
Original post by PQ
Their VC is very active on twitter https://twitter.com/uofgvc I'm sure he would be interested to know if they aren't picking up the phones.

I would email rather then call.... someone will answer 100% even if its just to tell you your application is still under consideration.
Reply 15
I would email rather then call.... someone will answer 100% even if its just to tell you your application is still under consideration.

Already emailed, like a week ago. Not even an acknowledgement email of the email. I cannot describe how angry I am with their admissions people.
Reply 16
Original post by PQ

I think I might hit him up if I don't get a response by the end of this week. I don't want to seem like a neurotic teenager, but at the same time, I have other things I want to do with my life that are on hold until they reply
Reply 17
Original post by rozanov
I see, haven't heard back from law as well. Common or Scots?

Common. It's not the actual UCAS application that I'd say I'm angry at - my application is pretty unorthodox after all (I switched from the A Level syllabus at the end of S5 so I have no solid qualifications).

It's the fact that they aren't responding to any communication. I'd much rather they just rejected me so I could move on with my life rather than dragging it out like this.

emails will always be a lower priority than someone on the phone.
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
emails will always be a lower priority than someone on the phone.

To be fair, if they don't pick up the phone (and won't respond to a voicemail, I left one of those and they patched it too), it's the only option left. I thought I might have had the wrong number or something at first - nope, they just don't reply to anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending