Activation energy lower for exothermic reactions-why?

Watch
legallyblind
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can someone offer an explanation at the molecular level as to why exothermic reactions have lower activation energies than endothermic reactions? Thank you!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by legallyblind)
Can someone offer an explanation at the molecular level as to why exothermic reactions have lower activation energies? Thank you!
1. Lower than what?
2. Who says that they do?
legallyblind
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by charco)
1. Lower than what?
2. Who says that they do?
1. I edited it. Lower than endothermic reactions'.
2. they do- i just don't know how to explain why
username1973239
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Exothermic reaction means more bonds are made than broken. This means less energy is needed to break bonds (making bonds don't require much energy to happen)
charco
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TSlayerr)
Exothermic reaction means more bonds are made than broken. This means less energy is needed to break bonds (making bonds don't require much energy to happen)
This is incorrect. You cannot change bond energy.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think that you are confusing two issues.

You are probably thinking about reversible processes in which case the exothermic activation backward (say) must be lower than the endothermic activation forwards.

To understand why just look at the energy profile.

The forward activation energy is shown. The reverse activation energy would start from the energy level of the products and go to the top of the activated complex.
username1973239
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is incorrect. You cannot change bond energy.
No less energy is needed to break bonds as there's less bonds to be broken.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No less energy is needed to break bonds as there's less bonds to be broken.
This is not necessarily correct.

What you are trying to say is that more energy is released forming bonds than is used breaking bonds. This is just a description of an exothermic reaction and has nothing whatsoever to do with activation energy.
username1973239
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is not necessarily correct.

What you are trying to say is that more energy is released forming bonds than is used breaking bonds. This is just a description of an exothermic reaction and has nothing whatsoever to do with activation energy.
In a reversible reaction, less bonds are broken in the exothermic reaction than in the endothermic reaction.
This is why more energy is needed to be put into the system (higher activation energy) for the endothermic reaction to occur (because more bonds are broken). You need to put energy into the system to break bonds. Energy is released if you make bonds.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In a reversible reaction, less bonds are broken in the exothermic reaction than in the endothermic reaction.
This is why more energy is needed to be put into the system (higher activation energy) for the endothermic reaction to occur (because more bonds are broken). You need to put energy into the system to break bonds. Energy is released if you make bonds.
As I am trying to explain, it is not fewer bonds, it is bonds with lower bond energy.

AND this assumes that the particles are completely broken apart during reaction, which is usually not the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (92)
13.83%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (55)
8.27%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (85)
12.78%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (80)
12.03%
Other reasons are stopping me going (86)
12.93%
Nothing is stopping me going (267)
40.15%

Watched Threads