Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone offer an explanation at the molecular level as to why exothermic reactions have lower activation energies than endothermic reactions? Thank you!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by legallyblind)
    Can someone offer an explanation at the molecular level as to why exothermic reactions have lower activation energies? Thank you!
    1. Lower than what?
    2. Who says that they do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    1. Lower than what?
    2. Who says that they do?
    1. I edited it. Lower than endothermic reactions'.
    2. they do- i just don't know how to explain why

ReputationRep:
    Exothermic reaction means more bonds are made than broken. This means less energy is needed to break bonds (making bonds don't require much energy to happen)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TSlayerr)
    Exothermic reaction means more bonds are made than broken. This means less energy is needed to break bonds (making bonds don't require much energy to happen)
    This is incorrect. You cannot change bond energy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I think that you are confusing two issues.

You are probably thinking about reversible processes in which case the exothermic activation backward (say) must be lower than the endothermic activation forwards.

To understand why just look at the energy profile.

The forward activation energy is shown. The reverse activation energy would start from the energy level of the products and go to the top of the activated complex.

ReputationRep:
    This is incorrect. You cannot change bond energy.
    No less energy is needed to break bonds as there's less bonds to be broken.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    No less energy is needed to break bonds as there's less bonds to be broken.
    This is not necessarily correct.

What you are trying to say is that more energy is released forming bonds than is used breaking bonds. This is just a description of an exothermic reaction and has nothing whatsoever to do with activation energy.

ReputationRep:
    This is not necessarily correct.

What you are trying to say is that more energy is released forming bonds than is used breaking bonds. This is just a description of an exothermic reaction and has nothing whatsoever to do with activation energy.
    In a reversible reaction, less bonds are broken in the exothermic reaction than in the endothermic reaction.
    This is why more energy is needed to be put into the system (higher activation energy) for the endothermic reaction to occur (because more bonds are broken). You need to put energy into the system to break bonds. Energy is released if you make bonds.
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    In a reversible reaction, less bonds are broken in the exothermic reaction than in the endothermic reaction.
    This is why more energy is needed to be put into the system (higher activation energy) for the endothermic reaction to occur (because more bonds are broken). You need to put energy into the system to break bonds. Energy is released if you make bonds.
    As I am trying to explain, it is not fewer bonds, it is bonds with lower bond energy.

AND this assumes that the particles are completely broken apart during reaction, which is usually not the case.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.