?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can antibiotics treat a virus disease?
Connor_H
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Antibiotics aren't used for viruses because viruses live inside your body's cells. Antibiotics would damage your own cells too if they were used.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You would need an antiviral treatment, but even then viruses are persistent.
Little Popcorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You may need to use an antibiotic is there is a risk of developing a secondary infection as a result of a temporary weakening of the immune system due to the virus. This usually isn’t necessary, you can kick the virus with diet, liquids and rest.

Unless you’re talking serious potentially lethal viruses... very different story, hiv would require strong antiviral drugs and monitoring.
TomW624
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Connor_H)
Antibiotics aren't used for viruses because viruses live inside your body's cells. Antibiotics would damage your own cells too if they were used.
No... Just... No...
Connor_H
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm assuming this is for GCSE Biology. If so, the answer I gave was correct.....
TomW624
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm assuming this is for GCSE Biology. If so, the answer I gave was correct.....
Then whatever marking scheme you are using is extremely wrong...

I think you are getting antibiotics confused with antivirals. Antiviral drugs are difficult to develop because they can be extremely damaging to host cells not antibiotics.

Antibiotics ≠ Antivirals
Connor_H
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I think I got mixed up between them. Sorry.
TomW624
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just in case you argue back again I looked on bitesize for GCSE Biology to find a simple way to put this to you and found this exact quote:

"Antibiotics damage the bacterial cells but do not damage the host cells."

So maybe look at your marking scheme again or revise a little harder.

https://www.bbc.com/education/guides/zs6q2p3/revision/6
TomW624
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TomW624)
Just in case you argue back again I looked on bitesize for GCSE Biology to find a simple way to put this to you and found this exact quote:

"Antibiotics damage the bacterial cells but do not damage the host cells."

So maybe look at your marking scheme again or revise a little harder.

https://www.bbc.com/education/guides/zs6q2p3/revision/6
And OP here's an answer to your question from bitesize too:

"Viral diseases cannot be cured by antibiotics, because they reproduce inside the host cells."

As simple as that I assume but depends how many marks the question is really. You could discuss how antibiotics are designed to target bacterial cells to disrupt their cell walls, inhibit reproduction and what not while not effecting self cells. You could also state that the targets that antibiotics are designed for are not present on viruses because of their completely different structure and reproduction processes and therefore they will not have any effect.
bluemuffin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope.
TomW624
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I think I got mixed up between them. Sorry.
That's cool The more you know!

You just admitted you were wrong on TSR I think you deserve some kind of award haha
sfranklin2001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by TomW624)
And OP here's an answer to your question from bitesize too:

"Viral diseases cannot be cured by antibiotics, because they reproduce inside the host cells."

As simple as that I assume but depends how many marks the question is really. You could discuss how antibiotics are designed to target bacterial cells to disrupt their cell walls, inhibit reproduction and what not while not effecting self cells. You could also state that the targets that antibiotics are designed for are not present on viruses because of their completely different structure and reproduction processes and therefore they will not have any effect.
Yes, it is GCSE and it was a question about why they couldn't use antibiotics to treat EVD (Ebola virus disease). So could I just say "it would be used as it would have no effect" as it is worth one mark?
TomW624
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sfranklin2001)
Yes, it is GCSE and it was a question about why they couldn't use antibiotics to treat EVD (Ebola virus disease). So could I just say "it was because it would damage the cells" as it is worth one mark?
No. Read my above comments. Connor admitted that he got mixed up with antibiotics and antivirals. I gave you the exact answer and a link to bitesize above
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.41%
They might tell the bully (17)
10.9%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
17.95%
It might lead to more bullying (58)
37.18%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.56%

Watched Threads