Bmw 1 series vs Lexus IS 250

Watch this thread
Jedders
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Which car do you think is the better buy? The Bmw has a 1.6 and 2.0 version, the Lexus is 2.5.

Id be looking at 2006 - 2008 cars with around 70k on the clock. For the record I'd get it in automatic as I dont like manual.

I go on the m25 at least once a week for 40 mins with the ocassional long distance drive of over 100 miles, most of my other driving is to my local gym or tesco. I dont drive everyday as I work freelance amd sometimes work from home.

The Lexus looks slightly nicer to me but the bmw is lovely too and more fuel economy whether I get the 1.6 or 2.0.

At the moment I drive a Lexus IS 200 2.0 litre car. The is 250 supeisingly has better fuel economy than my current car according to reviews.
AtheClassicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I would say go with the Lexus because it’s:
-more luxurious than the BMW
-better looking
- cheaper to maintain + likely more reliable

BMW
- it’s a ‘German whip init’ holds a more prestigious badge
- might handle better than the Lexus & more sporty
- more compact, easier to park

Personally the older model 1 Series just looks really outdated and all the failed drug dealers seem to drive them. If you were looking at a newer shape then my opinion might be different but in this case the Lexus takes the trophy.
Jedders
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I do like the lexus a lot, just considering the bmw because the possibility of a more economic engine. do you think the difference in fuel economy between a 1.6 and 2.0 or 2.5 is that noticable?
AtheClassicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jedders)
I do like the lexus a lot, just considering the bmw because the possibility of a more economic engine. do you think the difference in fuel economy between a 1.6 and 2.0 or 2.5 is that noticable?
They both have around the same average MPG (25-30) so there probably won’t be that much of a difference tbh. Normally, there would be a significant difference between a 1.6 and a 2.5 but the BMW weights quite a lot and the 116 engine will have to work harder/use more fuel to actually get the car going.

If the 2.0 is the 1 Series then it would be noticeably better as that engine is a lot more suited to the car
NX172
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Used to drive a 2L 1 series, got rid of it. Cramped, weak, unreliable, and as for the diesels, generally a clattery badge-w*nker car. Try both. Personally I'd go with the Lexus. (Actually looking for one right now as a daily in addition to my weekend toy)
Revolver72
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jedders)
Which car do you think is the better buy? The Bmw has a 1.6 and 2.0 version, the Lexus is 2.5.

Id be looking at 2006 - 2008 cars with around 70k on the clock. For the record I'd get it in automatic as I dont like manual.

I go on the m25 at least once a week for 40 mins with the ocassional long distance drive of over 100 miles, most of my other driving is to my local gym or tesco. I dont drive everyday as I work freelance amd sometimes work from home.

The Lexus looks slightly nicer to me but the bmw is lovely too and more fuel economy whether I get the 1.6 or 2.0.

At the moment I drive a Lexus IS 200 2.0 litre car. The is 250 supeisingly has better fuel economy than my current car according to reviews.
In terms of the 1 series, are you looking Diesel or Petrol?
The e8x chassis petrol 1 series (except the 135i) are N/A, but the diesels are turbo. The N/A motors are high revving but painfully slow. If it's a diesel you're looking at (and if you're doing long motorway miles, I'd suggest it wouldn't be silly to) then I'd say the 1 series is pretty practical.
ShivP_98
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Don't get a 1st generation 1 series diseasel. They all have timing chain problems which are unavoidable. The lexus will go on forever like most lexus products
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The Lexus ticks far more boxes, looks better, and frankly doesn't purport to be anything that it isn't. The 1 series, especially the older ones basically just say "I just wanna say I own a BMW, don't care which"
ShivP_98
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nevershear)
The Lexus ticks far more boxes, looks better, and frankly doesn't purport to be anything that it isn't. The 1 series, especially the older ones basically just say "I just wanna say I own a BMW, don't care which"
+1 unless it's a 125i or 130i
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
To be frank, most people could probably save more on fuel economy if they just drove more sensibly, than by buying a lower consumption car.

Smooth driving, instead of break, then gas, then break, break + gas & drift round a corner, overtaking for amusement.
NX172
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ShivP_98)
+1 unless it's a 125i or 130i
Why 130i? Not only are these old but there aren't many of these. Just seems a rather random preference. The 1M coupe, M135i and current gen M140i are more notable and are known to represent a true BMW driving experience far better. Although I suppose 125d is passable for 1 series and 320d passable for a 3 series to not be seen as buying it for the badge.
ShivP_98
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NX172)
Why 130i? Not only are these old but there aren't many of these. Just seems a rather random preference. The 1M coupe, M135i and current gen M140i are more notable and are known to represent a true BMW driving experience far better. Although I suppose 125d is passable for 1 series and 320d passable for a 3 series to not be seen as buying it for the badge.
Talking about E87/E88 1 series generation but yes of course M135 etc are applicable as the 1 series to buy as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
29.58%
As I expected (22)
30.99%
Harder (25)
35.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.23%

Watched Threads