The Student Room Group

ROYAL BLOOD Concert Review

If you could spare 2 minutes of your time to read my 'Royal Blood' ;D concert review and basically leave a few sentences about if you think it's something you'd like (or not), your thoughts on how I've reviewed it, if you've been to something similar or anything else.

I'm doing a Silver Arts Award for music and one of the tasks is to share a concert review with others and get their opinion on it.

It DOES NOT have to be long, literally a few words would be a massive help.

Here is the review:

I saw Royal Blood, a two piece band formed in Brighton, at Alexandra Palace in London on the 22nd November. I haven’t seen them perform before but I am a big fan of their music. It was my dad who suggested going to the concert so I didn’t know much about the band itself, but had listened to a few of their songs, such as ‘I Only Lie When I Love You’ and ‘Lights out’ which are from their album called ‘How Did We Get So Dark?’. I wanted to see them live because they’re songs have amazing bass guitar and drums in them which I knew would be incredible to listen to live.
As I said, I saw Royal Blood perform in Alexandra Palace. It was a huge venue with an all standing crowd which, in my opinion, elevated the atmosphere as everyone was free to move and dance. The huge hall extended really far back with the band performing at the front. Royal Blood created an astonishing sound, especially considering they are only a two person band. They could certainly create a lot of noise. I stood fairly near to the front of the stage and the sound quality was great.
I loved the set list. They intertwined their well-known classics with some of the songs from their new album. My favourite song of the night has to be ‘She’s creeping’ , because the electric bass guitar chords were so cool and the lyrics are brilliant. Another one of my favourites was ‘I only Lie When I Love You’ . I particularly liked the light staging because it totally transformed the vibe of the concert as the lasers strobed in time with the beat and the colour changes reflected the mood of each song. Towards the end of the set list, Ben Thatcher, the drummer, brought out a huge gong to accompany one of the songs. This was quite random and funny but did add to the massive sound they created. What I found most affecting about Royal Blood was the fact they kept mentioning how unbelievable it was to for them to be performing in front of a humongous London crowd. Their dream, from playing together in their parents’ garage when they were teens, has now become a reality. It has got to be one of the best concerts I have been too to date.
Not only was the actual performance full of energy and craziness, but so was the crowd. In some songs, particularly ‘Hook, Line & Sinker’, the crowd would go absolutely mental and many mosh pits would be created. My friend and I were caught up right in the middle of this but it was really fun and only added to the awesome atmosphere of the concert. Even towards the edges of the audience, where the more timid and conscious people lurk, it was full of dancing and people just having a good time.
After several hours of screaming, shouting, dancing and certainly more than one collision with a fellow concert goer, we were released back out into London. My final thoughts of the concert? Electrifying. The two artists were incredibly talented and just oozed style, The one thing that stood out was their energy. Their songs aren’t quiet, calm or simple: they are hardcore rock tunes. So to be able to carry on with a consistent level of enthousiam the whole night was amazing. I would absolutely love to see Royal Blood in concert again and would certainly recommend them to others.
the review does a good job of showing how much a fan you however lack much information on the band for newcomers, information like the genre of music they fall under or how long the set was would have been good key information, price also would be good information to give people an idea on the value of money.

Quick Reply

Latest