The Student Room Group

Proms for leaving primary/junior school are ridiculous and excessive

Does anyone else think that it's just a tad ridiculous that schools/parents are endorsing proper proms and what not for going between primary/junior school and high school?

For example when i was leaving my primary school, in 2007, sure we had a party but it was your bog standard kids school disco where we organised party food, CDs and some party games cause i mean we were 11/12 year olds. It was on from lunchtime to going home time on our final day of school. Cost maybe 50 quid for all of us when all was said and done.

Now compare this to what I heard from some of the women I worked with in retail who have kids at the same school. They have bought each of their 11/12yo daughters £200-300 dresses, hired them a limo, the school has booked and function hall and the parents are paying for them to have a nice meal first. This is on top of the £20 ticket to actually go to the prom. So Im not sure how much the total spent on this event would be.

Do you think this sort of thing seem excessive for this age group?

Would you pay that much for your childs prom?

What did you have, if anything, when you moved up?

Do you think this sort of thing is unfair on parents that cant afford all of the above mentioned for their child?
Reply 1
yeah i think primary school proms are a bit unnecessary and ridiculous.

we just had a residential or disco type thing.

the main prom should be at the end of Y11 and/or Y13
Those proms are ridiculous. I wonder who came up with the idea tho
*consumerism intensifies*
That's ridiculous, we had an average disco
Aint **** to a baller like me, if anything this is a cheap celebration.
lmao what kind of dumbass parents spends all that on a 11 year old
£200-£300 for dresses!?

I'm never going to a prom, but I'd never make my parents nor feel comfortable with my parents spending £80+ for a suit I'd probably wear once a year.

Primary Disco is probably the best thing that could ever happen.

Whenever the Cha-Cha slide came on, I'd literally go mental.
Prom only makes sense for year 13
Reply 8
We were such proles that we didn't even call it a 'prom' when I was in high school. Or college. We have 'Leaver's Dos' and there were no 300 quid dresses - well, not in our room anyway :laugh:
Yeah fam in year 6 I went in a limo to prom because someone I was vaguely friends with got one (someone probably said no now that I think about it lmao).

Hated it, but lets not get into why.

Though what I wore cost like £60-80?

Bloody expensive but not as bad as £300

I hated it and only wore it once lmao
(edited 6 years ago)
That's how we got the Pablo Escobar meme from that chubby kid though :frown:
Hmm, I don't recall being horny at age 10 to be frank; one must have some strange alleles or a diet filled with too many hormones to feel the need..

That, and it'll probably be bone hitting you - quite uncomfortable. Makes me think of some boney girl that used to sit on guys laps for attention...
Aren't half your A Levels in Maths? :wink:
Big Shaq would be disappointed to hear that :frown:

Would you believe if I told you I got laid by a hot chick with my opening line being " you must be root -1 because you're so pretty"?
Original post by TomW624
Does anyone else think that it's just a tad ridiculous that schools/parents are endorsing proper proms and what not for going between primary/junior school and high school?

For example when i was leaving my primary school, in 2007, sure we had a party but it was your bog standard kids school disco where we organised party food, CDs and some party games cause i mean we were 11/12 year olds. It was on from lunchtime to going home time on our final day of school. Cost maybe 50 quid for all of us when all was said and done.

Now compare this to what I heard from some of the women I worked with in retail who have kids at the same school. They have bought each of their 11/12yo daughters £200-300 dresses, hired them a limo, the school has booked and function hall and the parents are paying for them to have a nice meal first. This is on top of the £20 ticket to actually go to the prom. So Im not sure how much the total spent on this event would be.

Do you think this sort of thing seem excessive for this age group?

Would you pay that much for your childs prom?

What did you have, if anything, when you moved up?

Do you think this sort of thing is unfair on parents that cant afford all of the above mentioned for their child?

I'm a year 11 now but not going to my prom tonight, I want to but it's a waste of money in a way, I probably won't wear the dress again and most of my year group I didn't get on with, only 3 out of 4 of my friends are going and tbh they weren;t my best friends, my best friend has just finished her first year at college and regrets going to prom as she will not wear the dress again and it costed £600

Quick Reply

Latest