The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Bangor Uni Halls and Social Life

Hey! I’m planning to accept bangor’s offer but still hv few doubts in my head. About the halls, i saw a lot of comments saying st marys is much better than fridd but there were also some who said the hill is too much. Is the hill a major turn off?

And as for the social life, how friendly are the poeple there? I saw a thread where this op was being ignored, bad-mouthed and etc by her flatmates. But again, some say bangor is full of friendly people. Tbh i think i need some friends as i’ll be spending 4 years there and obviously i need to go out sometimes.
Original post by NS_Bond007
Hey! I’m planning to accept bangor’s offer but still hv few doubts in my head. About the halls, i saw a lot of comments saying st marys is much better than fridd but there were also some who said the hill is too much. Is the hill a major turn off?

I've never lived in either of the university-owned halls (I'm in private halls currently), but a friend of mine lives in St Mary's, and she does find the hill a pain in the bum. It makes her more reluctant to meet up if it means she'll only be coming down for a short while. Of course, other people might see the hill as a good exercise opportunity, and will obviously not be such an issue if you bring a car.

And as for the social life, how friendly are the poeple there? I saw a thread where this op was being ignored, bad-mouthed and etc by her flatmates. But again, some say bangor is full of friendly people. Tbh i think i need some friends as i’ll be spending 4 years there and obviously i need to go out sometimes.

Just like anywhere, it's the luck of the draw whether you get friendly/mean flatmates. Remember though, that your flatmates won't be your only opportunity to make friends, as you'll meet people on your course/in societies etc. who you can go out with, so having iffy flatmates is not the end of the world.

See my responses in bold in the quote. :smile:
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
The flatmates you get in student accommodation is a complete lottery. I lived in Friddeodd village last year in Llanddwyn so I had 7 other housemates, out of them 5 are now close friends of mine, some I even still live with, but the rest were just meh. So it's best not to dwell on what the people will be like.

Though I havent lived in saint marys, I have been there a lot and have friends who have lived there and every person who lived there has regretted it. Most people regret it due to the fact its very excluded compared to friddeodd and they feel they didnt get a true student experience. The rest feel a strong hatred for cardiac mountain haha.

overall I would wholely say that bangor is a great place to be a student, but you lose a lot of the great parts by living up in saint marys.

Quick Reply

Latest