The Student Room Group

Is my university prestigious enough for a good career/further study?

Hello,

I am currently deciding which university to choose among University Oxford Brookes (unconditional offer), University of Kent (conditional offer), and University of Southampton (conditional offer). I would like to take Soton as my first choice but do not know what to choose as my insurance option. I would prefer to go with Brookes because is much safer, however, I am wondering if it is prestigious enough to develop a good career based on its diploma or get further into a good university (maybe a master or something). Basically, if Brookes is not considered a good university at all in the UK and is not worth studying there (given my reasons), I would rather take the risk of having Kent as my second choice. Can someone tell me about his/her personal experience or some reliable expert opinions when it comes to these universities (especially about Oxford Brookes)? I know the question is somewhat hard to answer, but any suggestion might help.

Thank you in advance.
Kent's amazing, you would be stupid not to choose it.
Original post by petropetro
Hello,

I am currently deciding which university to choose among University Oxford Brookes (unconditional offer), University of Kent (conditional offer), and University of Southampton (conditional offer). I would like to take Soton as my first choice but do not know what to choose as my insurance option. I would prefer to go with Brookes because is much safer, however, I am wondering if it is prestigious enough to develop a good career based on its diploma or get further into a good university (maybe a master or something). Basically, if Brookes is not considered a good university at all in the UK and is not worth studying there (given my reasons), I would rather take the risk of having Kent as my second choice. Can someone tell me about his/her personal experience or some reliable expert opinions when it comes to these universities (especially about Oxford Brookes)? I know the question is somewhat hard to answer, but any suggestion might help.

Thank you in advance.

Oxford Brookes is considered a pretty solid university. Not excellent but not bad either. That said you should only be insuring it if you'd be happy to go there if you don't get into Southampton. I'm guessing you are international from your post- when it comes to Masters degrees most universities will accept virtually anyone who can pay the fees and get a 2:1 in their undergraduate degree. The few that are a bit more selective like Oxford & Cambridge will care far more about your grades and whatever written submission they require than the university you did your undergraduate degree at.

When it comes to jobs the vast majority of employers will care more about the whole application- meeting any minimum academic requirements, evidence of meeting the job criteria, a well written application. Work experience is key.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending