Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE (Year 11) Sharing tips and notes - Easter REVISION watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I think you'd agree that we're all suffering this together right?
    What better way to help each other than share some advice and some notes.

Contribute to the thread by doing the following:

Subject Name:
    Advice:
    How you revise:

Hopefully, it will give people some ideas and motivation!

I'll start it off:

Subject: English/ Any science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science)

Advice: Most of the content in these subjects are written so you need to stay focused and timed so that you don't make too many mistakes.

How I revise: WORK AT A DESK - I cannot emphasize how IMPORTANT this is. Working on a bed means that you will most likely drift off to sleep, you will be uncomfortable and you'll get distracted if you have to constantly get up to get things. Find a table, a desk, anything where you can sit on a chair and work from.

1. Go to a library
    2. Stay at school after hours
    3. Work in your room at a desk
    4. Work in a cafe alone.

Make sure where you are working has good lighting otherwise you will be unmotivated to work.

I also listen to the chillpop radio on youtube or lofi music because there aren't any lyrics to distract you.

PLAN WHAT YOU WILL DO FOR THE DAY - This has been the complete lifehack that has saved my GCSE life. Get a small notebook or flashcard and write down at least ten things you aim to do in the day. Write them down for the next day so that when you wake up, you already have a list of things for what you need to do rather than procrastinating and wondering what else to do.

Make mindmaps but make them well.
    I didn't know how to make proper mindmaps meaning that they were never effective for my revision. Use colour, use different coloured pens and make it FUN to look out. Draw boxes and fill them up.

HERE'S SOME ENGLISH REVISION IDEAS:

What I'd advice you (and what I'm doing) is, look through your anthology and list all the poems in Power and Conflict on a piece of paper. When you have done that, find two poems from the list that are similar in terms of what they are about or the style. For example, Charge of the Light Brigade is good to compare with Exposure because they are both to do with war but one talks about war in a good light while the other does not.
    Then do the same for each poem, putting them into pairs. When you've done this, make a mindmap and split the page in half landscape.
    On each side for each poem write down who the poem was written by, what themes you can find in the poem, write down 4 quotes for each poem that you could easily write a lot about then get a small piece of paper/flashcard/post it note and basically write a mini answer comparing the two poems.

e.g. (IN BULLET POINTS BTW) Charge of the Light Brigade and Exposure are similar because..... evidence to back this.....themes shared between poems are....similar contexts/messages include....
    THEN
    Charge of the Light Brigade and Exposure are DIFFERENT because..... evidence to back this.....themes shared between poems are....DIFFERENT contexts/messages include....
    Make sure the mindmaps are colourful and presented nicely

For Macbeth, make a mindmap for each character (I'm doing Romeo and Juliet but it's the same) and make sure to include the titles:
    1. Who is he/she - the bio for the character
    2. What happened to them
    3. Themes around the character e.g. are they from a social class, male or female
    4. Victim or Villain- explain if they are a villain, victim or hero
    5. QUOTES!!
    6. A mini box for any extra info you want to add but missed so leave it blank until you finish.
    7. Add author context, comparing any characters to the author and explain why

My last tip is to watch study videos in your freetime so you don't procrastinate even more or get too distracted.

Good luck with your Easter revision! x
    and check the replies for more ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sKULLedGhost)

Subject Name:
    Advice:
    How you revise:

I'll start it off:

Advice: Most of the content in these subjects are written so you need to stay focused and timed so that you don't make too many mistakes.

How I revise: WORK AT A DESK - I cannot emphasize how IMPORTANT this is. Working on a bed means that you will most likely drift off to sleep, you will be uncomfortable and you'll get distracted if you have to constantly get up to get things. Find a table, a desk, anything where you can sit on a chair and work from.

1. Go to a library
    4. Work in a cafe alone.

Make sure where you are working has good lighting otherwise you will be unmotivated to work.

I also listen to the chillpop radio on youtube or lofi music because there aren't any lyrics to distract you.

PLAN WHAT YOU WILL DO FOR THE DAY - This has been the complete lifehack that has saved my GCSE life. Get a small notebook or flashcard and write down at least ten things you aim to do in the day. Write them down for the next day so that when you wake up, you already have a list of things for what you need to do rather than procrastinating and wondering what else to do.

I didn't know how to make proper mindmaps meaning that they were never effective for my revision. Use colour, use different coloured pens and make it FUN to look out. Draw boxes and fill them up.

My last tip is to watch study videos in your freetime so you don't procrastinate even more or get too distracted.

Have you got any revision notes, if so could i have them and im doing AQA for majority of my exam boards so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerslikewhat)
    Have you got any revision notes, if so could i have them and im doing AQA for majority of my exam boards so
    Yeah sure, just let me know what subjects
    Also I advice however that you don't use them but use the ideas instead so that you can actually understand them x

ReputationRep:
    How are you revising for English Lit? I'm in desperate need for some help with poetry since I do worst in this part of the exam. Btw, I study Never Let Me Go, Macbeth, Jane Eyre and Power and Conflict for poetry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fazzy_77)
    How are you revising for English Lit? I'm in desperate need for some help with poetry since I do worst in this part of the exam. Btw, I study Never Let Me Go, Macbeth, Jane Eyre and Power and Conflict for poetry.
    For poetry, I would suggest studying them in pairs and make notes in the form of a venn diagram. I know it sounds stupid, but trust me it is really useful

ReputationRep:
    Subject Name: History
    Advice: how you answer the question is just as important as it's content but not all hope is lost if you forget the date , blag your way to the marks with extra information.
    How you revise: I get all my resources together, which luckily is just one book which has every topic I need to study in it. I put on some music and just go to town on making revision cards. Title at the top and all relevant information in bullet-point form below, any extra information which you don't really need but you can have if you want is added with an arrow instead of a dot. At the end of a topic make a set of cards which are just pure dates and titles (eg. 14th October, 1066- Battle of Hastings). Once I've got all of my notes I start doing exam questions. (A little tip for those comparing sources and 'which is more important' questions is to use phrases like 'it must be noted', 'it is important to acknowledge', phrases that give comparison and show that you are analysing by using your own intuition and knowledge from external sources are great. examiners love it; or so I've heard.)

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm doing Power and Conflict too.

What I'd advice you (and what I'm doing) is, look through your anthology and list all the poems in Power and Conflict on a piece of paper. When you have done that, find two poems from the list that are similar in terms of what they are about or the style. For example, Charge of the Light Brigade is good to compare with Exposure because they are both to do with war but one talks about war in a good light while the other does not.
    Then do the same for each poem, putting them into pairs. When you've done this, make a mindmap and split the page in half landscape.
    On each side for each poem write down who the poem was written by, what themes you can find in the poem, write down 4 quotes for each poem that you could easily write a lot about then get a small piece of paper/flashcard/post it note and basically write a mini answer comparing the two poems.

e.g. (IN BULLET POINTS BTW) Charge of the Light Brigade and Exposure are similar because..... evidence to back this.....themes shared between poems are....similar contexts/messages include....
    THEN
    Charge of the Light Brigade and Exposure are DIFFERENT because..... evidence to back this.....themes shared between poems are....DIFFERENT contexts/messages include....

For Macbeth, make a mindmap for each character (I'm doing Romeo and Juliet but it's the same) and make sure to include the titles:
    2. What happened to them
    3. Themes around the character e.g. are they from a social class, male or female
    5. QUOTES!!
    6. A mini box for any extra info you want to add but missed so leave it blank until you finish.

Do the same for Jane Eyre and Never let me go

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sKULLedGhost;76935010]Hey! I'm doing Power and Conflict too.

For Power and Conflict, there is a free revision website called Seneca Learning. They also do comparisons between poems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adrenaliine)
    subject name: History
    advice: how you answer the question is just as important as it's content but not all hope is lost if you forget the date , blag your way to the marks with extra information.
    how you revise: i get all my resources together, which luckily is just one book which has every topic i need to study in it. I put on some music and just go to town on making revision cards. Title at the top and all relevant information in bullet-point form below, any extra information which you don't really need but you can have if you want is added with an arrow instead of a dot. At the end of a topic make a set of cards which are just pure dates and titles (eg. 14th october, 1066- battle of hastings). Once i've got all of my notes i start doing exam questions. (a little tip for those comparing sources and 'which is more important' questions is to use phrases like 'it must be noted', 'it is important to acknowledge', phrases that give comparison and show that you are analysing by using your own intuition and knowledge from external sources are great. examiners love it; or so i've heard.)
    thank you i needed this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple.blue27)
    For poetry, I would suggest studying them in pairs and make notes in the form of a venn diagram. I know it sounds stupid, but trust me it is really useful
    Thank you! I'll try that out.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm doing Power and Conflict too.

THEN

2. What happened to them
    5. QUOTES!!

Do the same for Jane Eyre and Never let me go
    Great advice! Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:

I'm in year 11 now but i did my english lit gcse in year 10, the best thing to do is try to analyse a lot and revise loads and loads of quotes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MariaJ02)
    I'm in year 11 now but i did my english lit gcse in year 10, the best thing to do is try to analyse a lot and revise loads and loads of quotes
    Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what grade did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what grade did you get?
    Don't mind at all! I got a grade 6, but i was only 2 marks off a 7! It's not the best, but if you need any help with revision just let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MariaJ02)
    Don't mind at all! I got a grade 6, but i was only 2 marks off a 7! It's not the best, but if you need any help with revision just let me know!
    That's really good! Especially since you did it in year 10. And thanks, I will

ReputationRep:
    That's really good! Especially since you did it in year 10. And thanks, I will
    Thank you! And hope i helped!!

ReputationRep:
    This is brilliant advice for History - flashcards are usually the best method for this subject.

EXTRA HISTORY ADVICE: I like to make a sort of map.
    It's difficult to describe, but essentially you want a large sheet of paper turned portrait.
    Along one side, list key events and their dates in order. On the other side, make more detailed notes on each event, and use arrows between each to show links and causes. Make sure that this is properly coloured and highlighted so that it's easy to revise from. I find this really helpful as a visual and kinaesthetic learner, especially for things like politics in Weimar Germany and Hitler's rise to power, where the dates are really confusing.

Quite simple, but this layout helps me.

ReputationRep:

Subject Name:
    Advice:
    How you revise:

I'll start it off:

1. Go to a library
    4. Work in a cafe alone.

HERE'S SOME ENGLISH REVISION IDEAS:

THEN

2. What happened to them
    5. QUOTES!!

and check the replies for more ideas

Thank you so much, I'm currently in year 10 and I'm thinking of starting my revision for yr 11 GCSEs now, is it too early ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adds70)
    Thank you so much, I'm currently in year 10 and I'm thinking of starting my revision for yr 11 GCSEs now, is it too early ??
    I definitely recommend starting as soon as you can. Im in year 11 and wish i started ages ago. However, if you start now definitely don't over do it with revision (i suggest 1hr 30mins after school and 2-3hrs on weekends) , you dont want to kill yourself before march of year 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zakaria1345)
    I definitely recommend starting as soon as you can. Im in year 11 and wish i started ages ago. However, if you start now definitely don't over do it with revision (i suggest 1hr 30mins after school and 2-3hrs on weekends) , you dont want to kill yourself before march of year 11

Yeah that sounds good. Thanks.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.