Bristol , Manchester (neuroscience) or UEA (medicine)?

Watch
abi.ggggg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been offered to study medicine at UEA... I love the look of the course (hands on/leaves graduates well-prepared) but not so much the University (campus/only near a small city) and feel as though doing medicine may limit my experience of being at uni (socially) but then again I don't want to throw away a Medicine offer.

Other options are Manchester (neuroscience/psychology) which is my ideal course in terms of contact hours/suited to my interests but wouldn't lead to my ideal career (psychiatrist). Also Manchester accommodation a bit far from main campus which may be a pain.

Or Bristol (neuroscience) which is my ideal city and idea of uni life/interesting people to meet but limited course/contact hours.

What do people think? Or am I just being too picky?
manlike99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol medicine definitely doesn't limit your social experience at uni don't worry about that but anyway what a dumb question.... say, in a hypothetical situation, it would limit your social life... would you not give up your social life for just 5 years so you can do the career you want till youre like 70?

doi: first year medic
abi.ggggg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Doesn't sound like you're that into medicine if you're considering not taking up your (apparently) one and only place because you're worried about your social life.
Also, am I right in thinking you didn't apply to four medical schools?
(Original post by manlike99)
lol medicine definitely doesn't limit your social experience at uni don't worry about that but anyway what a dumb question.... say, in a hypothetical situation, it would limit your social life... would you not give up your social life for just 5 years so you can do the career you want till youre like 70?

doi: first year medic
I applied for 4 med schools and yes UEA is my 'one and only place' lol - Bristol was an alternative course option after I got rejected... you both seem to have missed the point of my question. I am realistic about the struggle of doing a course such as medicine which will involve many more contact hours and weeks of placements away from the uni perhaps (again, I don't know this for certain hence why I posted in the first place) making it harder - not impossible- to enjoy the social benefits of uni. I was hoping for some useful/constructive answers and not people assuming I am putting my future career secondary to my social life, there are many factors that I put in my question e.g type of uni (campus or not) and how interesting the course is to me that are making it hard for me to make the decision.
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abi.ggggg)
I have been offered to study medicine at UEA... I love the look of the course (hands on/leaves graduates well-prepared) but not so much the University (campus/only near a small city) and feel as though doing medicine may limit my experience of being at uni (socially) but then again I don't want to throw away a Medicine offer.

Other options are Manchester (neuroscience/psychology) which is my ideal course in terms of contact hours/suited to my interests but wouldn't lead to my ideal career (psychiatrist). Also Manchester accommodation a bit far from main campus which may be a pain.

Or Bristol (neuroscience) which is my ideal city and idea of uni life/interesting people to meet but limited course/contact hours.

What do people think? Or am I just being too picky?
Hi abi.ggggg,

Well done on your offers! From personal experience, doing Medicine doesn't limit your social life at all - admittedly we have a lot of work to do but the majority of us are good enough at time keeping to still be able to participate in societies, going out and sports etc. just like any other student. This is especially true in the earlier years!

If your end goal is to become a psychiatrist then currently the only path for this is to do medicine but alternatively you could do this post-graduate entry (which is A LOT more competitive than undergraduate!)

I personally love our course at UEA and being on campus in first-year means you can roll out of bed and go to lectures which is handy and most facilities we need such as the gym and bar are all on site as well! As you said, we get a lot of hands-on experience from early on and ranked highly as one of the most prepared in our foundation years.

The city of Norwich itself (admittedly not as large as Manchester or Bristol) is still a lovely place to live with brilliant arts, culture and music venues, quirky shops, cool cafes, beautiful scenery and a great nightlife scene!

If you have any more questions about UEA, please feel free to ask!

- Task UEA UG Official Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads