The Student Room Group

I Want To Buy A Kitten 😆

So I want to get a kitten 🐯 But my family kinda don’t want me to get one. They’re not as much of an animal lover like me, I mean they like them but they don’t want any animals as there’s already too many of us 😳. However, my dad’s coming around to the idea. So I want to show them that I’m responsible and I know what I’m getting myself into. I find them so cute but obviously there’s a lot more to them. So if any cat or kitten owners could help me out regarding the different breeds, how they are like, how to train them, how to prevent any accidents, what foods they eat etc. I just want to know everything 🌸 Also if you have any personal stories you wanna share, feel free 😊 I’M SO EXCITED 😆🤪☀️

Scroll to see replies

If you get a kitten someone will have to be at home pretty much all the time.

I would recommend getting one from a RSPCA shelter. They will all be healthy, neutered and microchipped.

I got my cat from there (he was between 1-3 years old) and he is like any other cat (so don't be put off from getting one from a shelter). There are usually loads of kittens there.

I've never had a kitten but can help with general cat things. I used to have a cat that was older than me!

(My family didn't want to get another cat after the other one had died. I kept asking my Mum and we finally got one :P)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheEnchantress
So I want to get a kitten 🐯 But my family kinda don’t want me to get one. They’re not as much of an animal lover like me, I mean they like them but they don’t want any animals as there’s already too many of us 😳. However, my dad’s coming around to the idea. So I want to show them that I’m responsible and I know what I’m getting myself into. I find them so cute but obviously there’s a lot more to them. So if any cat or kitten owners could help me out regarding the different breeds, how they are like, how to train them, how to prevent any accidents, what foods they eat etc. I just want to know everything 🌸 Also if you have any personal stories you wanna share, feel free 😊 I’M SO EXCITED 😆🤪☀️

Good luck 😉
Reply 3

There are two main ways to get a cat/ kitten- buying (or adopting) one from a breeder or or person or adopting from a shelter.
Buying one can give you more choice and adopting one you've likely saved it from a tough situation like being a stray or abandoned.
Both should make sure the cat is healthy and house trained before giving it to you.
I would personally adopt over getting one from a breeder cos that little one needs it more.

Make sure it is house trained and healthy when you get it and also take it to your own vet to be registered and microchipped. You may also need to have it spayed or neutered depending on if it has already been done.
Chipping means if it gets lost a very can scan it can know it belongs to you. Spay/ neuter stops unwanted babies and also teames some of the hormonal issues you can get from growing cats,- like loud yowling and peeing everywhere.

You should also get insurance for it. Vets bills can be very costly and if something were to happen like an illness or injury you likely wouldn't be able to afford their care without insurance.

As far as care goes you need a place for food and water (septate if possible cos cats don't like to drink where they eat), food (duh), some places for it to chill out and call it's own (a tall thing is good cos they can keep an eye on their territory which helps them feel safe), something to scratch, a litter box and a few toys etc.

You also need to decide if it will be an indoor cat or if you will let it outside. If you are letting it out you should get a collar with an emergency release (most have one) which is preferably reflective so it can be seen more easily. An emergency release means of your cat gets its collar caught on something it can pull it off and not be strangled or suck forever.

Training cats is pretty basic. You give it the right stuff to do the right thing (scratching posts and a litter box) and it'll usually do the right thing. If it does stuff you don't want it to do you give a quick telling off (shout no) and it should learn. The main thing is to be consistent. If you don't want it to bite you as an adult, don't let it play with your hands as a kitten. If you don't want it stealing food from your plate don't give it human foo as a treat.

Cats don't particularly have breeds. There are some, but mostly you'll just get a cat. Breeds are best avoided cos they're a) more expensive and b) tend to have more needy characteristics like high energy and curiosity. If you are getting a cat from a shelter your basically guaranteed to just have a cat, but if it looks really sleek or really fluffy it may be with avoiding cos they're more effort.
Sleek cats are those high energy ones that will get bored and destroy your clothes and fluffy cats need grooming so they don't get matted, throw up loads of hair balls or leave further on all your stuff.
Nothing wrong with them if they have the right set up, but not ideal for a new owner with not so keen family.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but feel free to ask me anything. I've had cats most of my life and may or may not binge watch cat programmes so although I'm no expert I do know a fair bit about cats.

One final note- cats don't know that they are Kelly's cat. They will see all the people in the house as their human and that means they will nag them, learn from them etc. Even if you will be doing all the work everybody still needs to be in board with the cat situation and know to keep up with the same care plan. If brother feeds it under the table or sister screams at it whenever it gets close it's going to confuse the poor thing and lead to issues. It's not fair on the people or the cat of not everybody is cool with it being there.
Hopefully that's not relevant to you, but just in case. :smile:
Hi there,
First of all I just want to say I am a massive cat lady so I feel your pain in trying to convince your family to get a kitten! However, from my own experience (we've always rescued) I would never get a kitten now. They're so cute, but honestly rescuing an adult cat is so much more worthwhile. They're always vaccinated etc before you get them, and have been litter trained before they get to you. Also, in my opinion the bond between you and a rescue cat is just amazing. Adult cats tend to be more chilled out, especially if you're not home all the time, and are quite happy just to sit with you and snuggle. I love looking at kittens, I would just never want one now. Leaving my cat when I go to uni in September is going to be the worst thing!!!
Original post by Bill Nye
If you get a kitten someone will have to be at home pretty much all the time.

I would recommend getting one from a RSPCA shelter. They will all be healthy, neutered and microchipped.

I got my cat from there (he was between 1-3 years old) and he is like any other cat (so don't be put off from getting one from a shelter). There are usually loads of kittens there.

I've never had a kitten but can help with general cat things. I used to have a cat that was older than me!

(My family didn't want to get another cat after the other one had died. I kept asking my Mum and we finally got one :P)

Original post by Bathila
Good luck 😉

Original post by Kindred
There are two main ways to get a cat/ kitten- buying (or adopting) one from a breeder or or person or adopting from a shelter.
Buying one can give you more choice and adopting one you've likely saved it from a tough situation like being a stray or abandoned.
Both should make sure the cat is healthy and house trained before giving it to you.
I would personally adopt over getting one from a breeder cos that little one needs it more.

Make sure it is house trained and healthy when you get it and also take it to your own vet to be registered and microchipped. You may also need to have it spayed or neutered depending on if it has already been done.
Chipping means if it gets lost a very can scan it can know it belongs to you. Spay/ neuter stops unwanted babies and also teames some of the hormonal issues you can get from growing cats,- like loud yowling and peeing everywhere.

You should also get insurance for it. Vets bills can be very costly and if something were to happen like an illness or injury you likely wouldn't be able to afford their care without insurance.

As far as care goes you need a place for food and water (septate if possible cos cats don't like to drink where they eat), food (duh), some places for it to chill out and call it's own (a tall thing is good cos they can keep an eye on their territory which helps them feel safe), something to scratch, a litter box and a few toys etc.

You also need to decide if it will be an indoor cat or if you will let it outside. If you are letting it out you should get a collar with an emergency release (most have one) which is preferably reflective so it can be seen more easily. An emergency release means of your cat gets its collar caught on something it can pull it off and not be strangled or suck forever.

Training cats is pretty basic. You give it the right stuff to do the right thing (scratching posts and a litter box) and it'll usually do the right thing. If it does stuff you don't want it to do you give a quick telling off (shout no) and it should learn. The main thing is to be consistent. If you don't want it to bite you as an adult, don't let it play with your hands as a kitten. If you don't want it stealing food from your plate don't give it human foo as a treat.

Cats don't particularly have breeds. There are some, but mostly you'll just get a cat. Breeds are best avoided cos they're a) more expensive and b) tend to have more needy characteristics like high energy and curiosity. If you are getting a cat from a shelter your basically guaranteed to just have a cat, but if it looks really sleek or really fluffy it may be with avoiding cos they're more effort.
Sleek cats are those high energy ones that will get bored and destroy your clothes and fluffy cats need grooming so they don't get matted, throw up loads of hair balls or leave further on all your stuff.
Nothing wrong with them if they have the right set up, but not ideal for a new owner with not so keen family.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but feel free to ask me anything. I've had cats most of my life and may or may not binge watch cat programmes so although I'm no expert I do know a fair bit about cats.

One final note- cats don't know that they are Kelly's cat. They will see all the people in the house as their human and that means they will nag them, learn from them etc. Even if you will be doing all the work everybody still needs to be in board with the cat situation and know to keep up with the same care plan. If brother feeds it under the table or sister screams at it whenever it gets close it's going to confuse the poor thing and lead to issues. It's not fair on the people or the cat of not everybody is cool with it being there.
Hopefully that's not relevant to you, but just in case. :smile:

Original post by JeSuisBaguette
Hi there,
First of all I just want to say I am a massive cat lady so I feel your pain in trying to convince your family to get a kitten! However, from my own experience (we've always rescued) I would never get a kitten now. They're so cute, but honestly rescuing an adult cat is so much more worthwhile. They're always vaccinated etc before you get them, and have been litter trained before they get to you. Also, in my opinion the bond between you and a rescue cat is just amazing. Adult cats tend to be more chilled out, especially if you're not home all the time, and are quite happy just to sit with you and snuggle. I love looking at kittens, I would just never want one now. Leaving my cat when I go to uni in September is going to be the worst thing!!!

Thank-you so much. It’s so much information 😳🤪 I am trying to get everyone on board and hopefully they’ll come around. I just need to convince my mum and brother. My brother doesn’t like cats in general 😒 but my mums scared of it scratching and worried about the cats hygiene and where it litters and training it etc.
Could you explain to me the difference between an indoor cat and and an outdoor cat.
I seen a comment about getting a cat, why is that. Is it more easier as a new owner to have a cat than a kitten. Could you get kittens, trained?
(I have a lot more questions but I’m in town right now 😆🌸)
An indoor cat is one that lives only inside, it would require a litter tray etc. My cat is technically an outdoor cat, she litters outside and goes out when she wants, but also comes back for hugs, attention and sleeping etc!
Personally, kittens are a lot more work. Cats are more independent than dogs and don't rely on us as much, except kittens obviously. If you got an adult cat rather than a kitten, the raising of the cat has already been done for you. Once you get it home, give it a few days to settle in, and then you have a new buddy! A kitten requires more constant attention, whereas you can leave an adult alone and it will come and find you when it wants you (which in my cats case, every moment I'm home!) They're so loveably by don't rely on you to be there all the time. Let me know if you have more questions. xx
Also, yes. For a new cat owner I would say that an adult is easier than a kitten. Just make sure when you go to the shelter to find a cat that would suit your family.

In regards to you mum, I can say that I got lucky as a cat owner. My cat has never ever scratched anyone in our family on purpose and she's so sweet natured. BUT we never pick her up. She was previously a stray and she like most cats just doesn't like it. I think this is why she trusts us because she knows that she is free and won't be grabbed. For example, you see cat owner that try to cradle them or put them on their backs and they hate it. (a cats belly is the part they try to protect the most. If they let you rub their tummy it means they trust and love you) xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank-you so much. It’s so much information 😳🤪 I am trying to get everyone on board and hopefully they’ll come around. I just need to convince my mum and brother. My brother doesn’t like cats in general 😒 but my mums scared of it scratching and worried about the cats hygiene and where it litters and training it etc.
Could you explain to me the difference between an indoor cat and and an outdoor cat.
I seen a comment about getting a cat, why is that. Is it more easier as a new owner to have a cat than a kitten. Could you get kittens, trained?

Indoor cat is a cat that isn't allowed outside. Outdoor cat is one that can go in and out.
Usually outdoor cats will have a cat flap, but if not it's best to have some sort of shelter for it outside so if you can't let it in it can stay warm and dry until you can.

Older cats will tend to be trained when you get them because they have more experience, but you can get toilet trained kittens.
If mum is worried about hygiene I suggest putting the litter try in the bathroom since you guys poop there anyway. I wouldn't want a tray full of poop in my kitchen or living room.
Maybe you could take brother to meet some cats and give him a bit more choice with what one you get. My brother want too keen on getting a cat, but then our one choose him and he gave in. :smile:

Adopting an older cat can be a great thing because they are less likely to be adopted since people love kittens. Older cats have often settled down with behaviour and learned all the stuff so you don't need to train so much. They aren't going to be bouncy adorable kittens, but they are still awesome.

I would always suggest getting two cats if you can because they will keep eachother company, but some cats are used to being alone so if you want just one cat that could be another reason for getting an older one.

As far as scratching goes, if it has things it is allowed to scratch you should be fine, but it can be worth putting a blanket over your expensive sofa or you may need to remind you cat the right place to scratch (like by putting it in front of the thing the are going for).
Also just to convince you that cats are the best here is my baby! (she's 15 but she's still my child!!!) IMG_E3977.jpg
Original post by JeSuisBaguette
An indoor cat is one that lives only inside, it would require a litter tray etc. My cat is technically an outdoor cat, she litters outside and goes out when she wants, but also comes back for hugs, attention and sleeping etc!
Personally, kittens are a lot more work. Cats are more independent than dogs and don't rely on us as much, except kittens obviously. If you got an adult cat rather than a kitten, the raising of the cat has already been done for you. Once you get it home, give it a few days to setle in, and then you have a new buddy! A kitten requires more constant attention, whereas you can leave an adult alone and it will come and find you when it wants you (which in my cats case, every moment I'm home!) They're so loveably by don't rely on you to be there all the time. Let me know if you have more questions. xx

Oh that makes sense 🌸 But now I’m just confused on whether to buy a kitten or cat. I mean a kitten is something I’ve always wanted but then I think getting a cat would be more useful as I don’t know how to raise one properly and it’ll be like you said kinda done for me. There’s too many decisions 😫 Also what age does a kitten become a cat. And going to the vets, insurance etc how much do they roughly cost as I want to pay myself because it’s going to be mine so I want to take responsibility and my mum also doesn’t want me to get one as it’s so expensive, so it’ll show I’m dedicated 😧
Adopting animals is far more rewarding than buying them :emog:
In regards to cost I'm not an expert as it's a family cat and my parents pay for things like that however I have been researching for you. This article was particularly useful (http://www.dummies.com/pets/cats/cat-adoption/choosing-a-cat-or-kitten-which-is-better-for-you/) although I completely disagree that adult cats are not as cute. Just search google to be proved wrong.

I agree with it as it said that kittens are more likely to need to go to the vets eg. eating things they're not meant to or falling off things. Not to mention they'll claw your clothes and furniture (even adult cats can do this though). Kittens are more work in my opinion as they're in their exploring phase, wanting to hide, scratch and play, whereas adults are more into sleeping, snuggles and food! There's more potential for kittens to annoy your family members, although you can use their cuteness to get them out of trouble!!!

If you're paying and would consider rescuing a cat, I definitely recommend looking at their age and health. When cats are over the age of about 10 they tend to be more prone to health issues like kidney failure (my cat is only just starting to suffer now though) but any cat under the age of about 1 is probably still a kitten. Cats under about 3 are like kids, they're juvenile, still love playing and are like grown up kittens!

Cost will definitely be bigger in the beginning as you'll need to buy things first like litter trays, scratching post, toys, food etc. but obvious cost will vary depending on how you treat the cat. ie. some foods cost more than others. xx

Much easier to get a cat than a kitten.

Most of them are litter trained, and all are vaccinated, micro chipped etc.

And if you get one PLEASE don't get the cutest one. Get the one you like the most. Black cats are generally ignored in shelters and the coloured ones are taken first.

Indoor cats are cats that don't go outside at all.
Outdoor cats are cats that go in and out when they want.

My cat goes in and out of the cat flap when he wants, but he spends most of his time in the house.

You would need to get a litter tray, a scratching post, toys and a bed.

The good thing about cats from shelters is that they will likely use their bed as that is all the have to sleep in the shelter. Other cats often don't use beds etc that you buy for them (my other cat didnt).

My cat doesn't use a litter tray, but he did when we first got him. Now he just goes outside.

Alot of cats don't scratch people much. My cat only scratches me by accident sometimes if I play with him.
My cat is like an angel - my other cat would scratch people all the time (but not me :u:).

My brother was dead set against getting a cat but we got one anyways :P.
---
(edited 5 years ago)
If you get a cat you will likely have to experiment with different food.

I only feed my cat wet food and dreamies, don't know much about dry food.

My cat eats anything from Sainsbury's food, wilkos food, tiger food (Asda), whiskers and Felix. He doesn't like to eat the same food all the time, so we always buy him a mixture

We only started buying the wilkos food because of the box

It has my cats name on the box (Sooty).

He also really likes it. lmao
(edited 6 years ago)
@JeSuisBaguette
@Bill Nye
Thankyou so much 🌸 although getting a cat is more ideal, I might just get a kitten only because I want to see them grow up (if that makes sense) but you never know I may just fall in love with a cat so I have to see. If I do get a kitten I need to get a litter trained one though.
I know you could adopt a cat or buy one from people (I seen a lot on gumtree). Which would you recommend and why. Also why are cats in shelters?? 😳😳 How much do you think the vaccinating, micro chipping will cost??
Also, I didn’t get what you mean by not picking the cutest, but the one I like Bill Nye 🌺
Thankyou all so much, you’ve actually helped me so much 😊 and your cats are absolutely adorable 😍
I’d take into consideration your future plans. If you’re wanting to go to uni then you’ll have to leave your cat at home, and leave your parents stuck with a pet they don’t want! But if you’re planning on living at home or not going to uni then i’d go for it. I’ve always wanted one but my brother is allergic. :rant:

I have 2, both are 2 years old now and still crazy, they are hard work but definitely worth having, make sure you're committed to this. X
Original post by cat_mac
I’d take into consideration your future plans. If you’re wanting to go to uni then you’ll have to leave your cat at home, and leave your parents stuck with a pet they don’t want! But if you’re planning on living at home or not going to uni then i’d go for it. I’ve always wanted one but my brother is allergic. :rant:

I’m going to stay at home for uni so that won’t be a problem ☀️
Original post by Anonymous
I have 2, both are 2 years old now and still crazy, they are hard work but definitely worth having, make sure you're committed to this. X

I am 😆💖

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending