The Student Room Group

English with creative writing

I’m in Y12 and I thought I just start researching universities. I have no idea what I want to do but the most likely course is English with Creative Writing. Does anyone recommend any good universities to start looking into that are good for this particular course? Thank you!
Original post by wordsandroses
I’m in Y12 and I thought I just start researching universities. I have no idea what I want to do but the most likely course is English with Creative Writing. Does anyone recommend any good universities to start looking into that are good for this particular course? Thank you!

UEA pioneered the teaching of creative writing at degree level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard Bath do an okay course related to creative writing so you could check that out?

Hi @wordsandroses,

I'd recommend taking a look at the modules offered at different universities as you'll want to find ones that match your interests. You might also like to see how the courses are structured so how many hours you'll be in lecturers/seminars per week, and what the assessment methods are, will it be 100% coursework or will there be exams?

Once you have a few universities shortlisted, try and visit them if you can as this will give you a feel for life on campus and a chance to speak to current students and lecturers.

I studied English Literature with New Media Publishing at Herts, so if you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks,
Heather
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous925
I've heard Bath do an okay course related to creative writing so you could check that out?

ooo I’ll have a look, thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi @wordsandroses,

I'd recommend taking a look at the modules offered at different universities as you'll want to find ones that match your interests. You might also like to see how the courses are structured so how many hours you'll be in lecturers/seminars per week, and what the assessment methods are, will it be 100% coursework or will there be exams?

Once you have a few universities shortlisted, try and visit them if you can as this will give you a feel for life on campus and a chance to speak to current students and lecturers.

I studied English Literature with New Media Publishing at Herts, so if you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks,
Heather

Thank you so much for all the advice Heather! I’ll look into the content of the courses and try and short list them.
Beth
Thank you so much for all the advice Heather! I’ll look into the content of the courses and try and short list them.
Beth

No worries, good luck! :colondollar:

Hi @wordsandroses - first, great to see you're being really proactive and already looking at universities!

With over 100 universities in the UK, it can be hard to figure out where to start. I'd recommend checking out this handy article which talks through all the key things to consider when choosing universities :h:

If you are interested in Creative Writing, I'd certainly recommend checking out UEA. As @ageshallnot said, UEA pioneered the teaching of Creative Writing in the UK nearly 50 years ago. Our programme remains the most prestigious and successful in the UK, and in 2011 was awarded a Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in recognition of its continuing excellence in delivering innovative courses at a world-class level.

We also have a number of notable alumni, including Kazuo Ishiguro who was awarded the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature. Another one of our Creative Writing graduates, Emma Healey, discusses her experience studying at MA level in our video below:

[video="youtube;n2-3S92Ck9o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-3S92Ck9o [/video]

You can find out more about our BA English Literature with Creative Writing here. :smile:

My top piece of advice would be to check out any universities that you are considering - open days give you a flavour of what it is like to study there, as well as a chance to ask current students and academics all your burning questions on the course! If you are interested in UEA, our open days are on 6th & 7th July, 8th Sep and 20th Oct. You can register for them here.

I hope this helps! Any questions, let me know. I studied at UEA in BA History (2015) so happy to share my experience :h:

- Laura, UEA Official Rep
(edited 5 years ago)

Hello,

I am studying at Middlesex University, in North West London, and I am having a great time. The lecturers are very inspiring and there is a lot to get involved in from sports, to societies, to jobs on campus!
We have some English and Creative Writing courses, why don't you have a look?
https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/creative-writing-and-media/creative-writing.

We are also running an Open Day on the 9th of June and you can have a look yourself: www.mdx.ac.uk/opendays.

Let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Ludovica

Quick Reply