The Student Room Group

Is modern feminism a joke?

Don't hate me guys? I say this as a girl myself

Modern day "feminism" is more about self interests and they constantly contradict themselves. It has become less about equality but more about being superior to men and sometimes playing the victim. There is a lack of solidarity, if a women decides she wants to be a stay at home, feminist will look down on her. Promiscuous feminist complain about being able to sleep with any men as they want without being called a "slut" Firstly who is stopping her and why should they force their opinion on people? They complain about really petty things, such as the Blurred Lines video (the women in the video were paid to do the video, blame them) and then make a video equally if not more oppressive to men
http://youtu.be/tC1XtnLRLPM
Feminism, detracts the attention away from WOMEN also being rapist and Verbally and Physically abusive, there is such double standard.
Anyway, in western society feminism more serves self interests than actual rights. I am in total support of Women's rights but not all of Feminism. I want to work to get to the top, not complain my way to the top. We should have the same pay as men. We should focus to more serious issues as well, such as Female Genital Mutilations (which happens even in the UK), Women's rights in the 3rd world (I know that some already do this, but I don't hear enough about this)
I am sure that I have ignore some great points about feminism, but ultimately we need to get rid of Misogyny. My opinion is not a hardcore opinion, feel free to debate, no insults, just debate

Scroll to see replies

Threads about 'feminists' tend to be a joke.
Reply 2
Original post by evil Haribo 69
Yes feminism is a joke

To all feminist- Slut, you gonna do something about it?

'evil Haribo 69'?

:K: O-kay..
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
Modern western feminism is a joke considering that men and women have equal rights and the wage gap has long been debunked, also a women is less likely to get convicted of rape despite the fact that women rape more than men. To add to this, men don't have any privilege over women in western urban society, it's a myth that is mindlessly believed by many.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by k.n.h.
'evil Haribo 69'?

:K: O-kay..

Oi k.n.h. what's with the Genji? Lmao
Original post by Yakib
Modern western feminism is a joke considering that men and women have equal rights and the wage gap has long been debunked, also a women is less likely to get convicted of rape despite the fact that women rape more than men.

This is so short sighted lmao
Reply 7
Original post by JollyKingfisher
This is so short sighted lmao

Lol yeah, but feminists have the burden of proof when they make the assertion that men have more privilege than women so a reply to a feminists message would be less short sighted if a specific point is discussed.
Original post by Rodrickz
...I say this as a girl myself...

What sort of a girl are you?
Reply 9
Original post by Axiomasher
What sort of a girl are you?

An actual girl. Not somebody who chose to be a girl today and will be something different tomorrow.
Original post by Rodrickz
An actual girl. Not somebody who chose to be a girl today and will be something different tomorrow.

You're a biological female, correct?
Reply 11
Original post by Axiomasher
You're a biological female, correct?

Yes.
Reply 12
Original post by Yakib
Modern western feminism is a joke considering that men and women have equal rights and the wage gap has long been debunked, also a women is less likely to get convicted of rape despite the fact that women rape more than men. To add to this, men don't have any privilege over women in western urban society, it's a myth that is mindlessly believed by many.

Women rape more than men? Source?
Original post by Yakib

I don't think women rape more than men, nor they commit more sexual crimes then men
HOWEVER, they are a lot less likely to be convicted of rape and sexual crimes with female perpetrators are often not reported as much or not taken as seriously. It sucks, I want to see women getting the same prison time as men for the same crimes etc.

Sometimes, western feminism is so irritating it's actually embarrassing to call yourself a feminist because I don't want to be associated with all the sh*t that radicals spout, it puts the original, traditional ideas of feminism to shame
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by k.n.h.

Oh ****, I'd like to rephrase what I said, men are raped more often than women, sorry I wrote that right when I woke up.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449454/More-men-raped-US-women-including-prison-sexual-abuse.html
This is in the US by the way, not sure about the UK.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by k.n.h.

Im sceptical also.

Original post by Yakib
Oh ****, I'd like to rephrase what I said, men are raped more often than women, sorry I wrote that right when I woke up.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449454/More-men-raped-US-women-including-prison-sexual-abuse.html
This is in the US by the way, not sure about the UK.

UK figures are skewed because our lawmakers decided it would be a great thing to make the definition of rape include the word 'penetration' instead of the widely used definition of simply 'not consensual sex'. This puts men at a disadvantage because women can't biologically penetrate men, whereas the opposite isn't true.
Reply 16
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Im sceptical also.

UK figures are skewed because our lawmakers decided it would be a great thing to make the definition of rape include the word 'penetration' instead of the widely used definition of simply 'not consensual sex'. This puts men at a disadvantage because women can't biologically penetrate men, whereas the opposite isn't true.

Oh ok, thanks for the info!
Reply 17
Glad I'm not alone
I totally agree with this. I wanted to bring this up but I didn't quite know how to word it. Thank you for the highly thoughtful and intellectual post 👍
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Im sceptical also.

The problem with our gynocentric sexist rape laws isn't the word "penetration" HighOnGoofballs. Both men and women can rape by penetration. Women by forcefully penetrating themselves and men by forcefully penetrating someone commit rape. The problem with our definition of rape in this country is the word "penis". A woman who forcefully penetrates someone is exempt from being charged with rape because she lacks a penis. The definition for rape is written in such a way as to purposely only hold men to account for this crime and exclude women from prosecution for it. It is the definition of an unequal sexist law.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest