The Student Room Group

Doing a fake A -level? (READ)

I'm currently doing Chemistry, Biology and Psychology and I'm in year 13. However, because I know I won't get the grade I need in doing Chemistry (B or A) I started doing a back-up A-level Gov and Politics which I will take the exam for in 2019 at the end of my gap year.

I'm no longer learning Chemistry AT ALL, I just go lessons acting as if I'm going through with it. I'm afraid if I tell the school they will put me in AS lessons which I don't want. But I also want them to take me out of the entry if possible.

What should I do??? I'm at a dilemma. ANY advice appreciated.
Original post by ukila
I'm currently doing Chemistry, Biology and Psychology and I'm in year 13. However, because I know I won't get the grade I need in doing Chemistry (B or A) I started doing a back-up A-level Gov and Politics which I will take the exam for in 2019 at the end of my gap year.

I'm no longer learning Chemistry AT ALL, I just go lessons acting as if I'm going through with it. I'm afraid if I tell the school they will put me in AS lessons which I don't want. But I also want them to take me out of the entry if possible.

What should I do??? I'm at a dilemma. ANY advice appreciated.

Your parents could talk to your school and explain the situation to them, in that way you wont be put in AS classes and you wont need to do chemistry either.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous 3
Your parents could talk to your school and explain the situation to them, in that way you wont be put in AS classes and you wont need to do chemistry either.

Do you really think that they will just let me not enter in for Chemistry, I thought Sixth forms had to have students do exams for all 3 a levels. Also I'm scared that if I ask they may say it's too late and just say to do it.
Original post by ukila
Do you really think that they will just let me not enter in for Chemistry, I thought Sixth forms had to have students do exams for all 3 a levels. Also I'm scared that if I ask they may say it's too late and just say to do it.

well i'm not quite sure, however, if you've been entered for chem already, then no doubt you'll need to do the exam but if you havent, then you could explain to them how chem isnt your thing. also, you could mention the fact the you are doing 3 a levels, bio, psychology and if you explain to them in depth that youre doing gov and pol then there's a chance.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous 3
well i'm not quite sure, however, if you've been entered for chem already, then no doubt you'll need to do the exam but if you havent, then you could explain to them how chem isnt your thing. also, you could mention the fact the you are doing 3 a levels, bio, psychology and if you explain to them in depth that youre doing gov and pol then there's a chance.

The thing is I HAVE been entered for the exam for June it's on my exam timetable sheet with my other subjects. On that sheet it also warns that there is a specific date (like a week after u get the sheet) to make any amends and changes. Is it still possible to remove me? or does it depend on the school.
Original post by ukila
The thing is I HAVE been entered for the exam for June it's on my exam timetable sheet with my other subjects. On that sheet it also warns that there is a specific date (like a week after u get the sheet) to make any amends and changes. Is it still possible to remove me? or does it depend on the school.

That depends on the school, that's how it works in my school
once the exam timetable has been issued to candidates, its hard to remove the subject unless its something quite serious and the exam board agrees to it.
sometimes there's also a slight fee to pay as well, as the school pays for the examination entries
Quite an odd situation you've got yourself in.

The school have paid for your Chemistry entries which is a bit problematic, I can't imagine they'd like you bailing out on them. They will hound you to just sit the exam anyway, as it's in their best interests.

Either way you're responsible for your own studies now, so I'd say to do whatever you think is best for you. Wasting your time sat in Chemistry lessons doesn't seem like a good idea.
Reply 7
Original post by darkforest
Quite an odd situation you've got yourself in.

The school have paid for your Chemistry entries which is a bit problematic, I can't imagine they'd like you bailing out on them. They will hound you to just sit the exam anyway, as it's in their best interests.

Either way you're responsible for your own studies now, so I'd say to do whatever you think is best for you. Wasting your time sat in Chemistry lessons doesn't seem like a good idea.

So would you just recommend me going with my parents to the school and asking even if they may just say no. I just don't want them to make a big deal out of it or be ostracized in chem class.
Original post by ukila
So would you just recommend me going with my parents to the school and asking even if they may just say no. I just don't want them to make a big deal out of it or be ostracized in chem class.

I think that's the best option for you at this stage. Even if it doesn't work, at least you've tried and it may well possibly work out.
If you explain to the school along with your parents, i don't think they should create a big ruckus as all you're doing is explaining from your'e point of view

Quick Reply

Latest