The Student Room Group

Fancy my friend (both guys) - what to do?

So, to give you some backstory: he transferred to my school at the beginning of the year, I thought he was rather good-looking but I didn't really do anything with it. He then befriended some of my friends so I started seeing him more during lunch, at parties, etc. Turns out we had a lot in common so we became closer and started hanging out without other people around as well. What started as a stupid little crush, soon turned into full-on infatuation.

And now I just don't know what to do.

It seems like he likes me - he regulary checks in to see how I'm doing, he often touches my arm and he has called me "cute" before. Maybe that's just him, though, he's simply too sweet. He's the kind of person who thinks standing in the rain at a bus stop is "beautiful", or who'll take a lost dog to the shelter.

I don't know if he likes guys, he's told me he's had a girlfriend before, but he could be bisexual, perhaps. He loves Oscar Wilde - but I shouldn't jump to conclusions here.

I want to tell him how I feel but I'm afraid he doesn't feel the same. The friendship we have now is amazing and I'm so glad to have him as my mate, so I'm afraid of losing that. What should I do?
Test the waters by finding out his views on homosexuality, and then what his own sexuality is. You'll know where you stand then. Best to be straightforward I think.
I agree with the suggestion above. There are loads of ways to come about a conversation about your friend's orientation. Maybe talk to him about Pride or anything to do with recent lgbt events or happenings. Im sure since you're close to him, he would open up or perhaps hint what his orientation is to you at least. The worst thing isn't that he turns out to be straight - the worst thing is if he turns out to be homophobic. So do brace yourself and be careful. Sadly we aren't in a society a hundred years from now where people will be completely accepting.

Good luck buddy :smile:)
Reply 3
Original post by Alaric III
Test the waters by finding out his views on homosexuality, and then what his own sexuality is. You'll know where you stand then. Best to be straightforward I think.

Thanks for your reply! He once called out a classmate of ours on a homophobic comment, so I guess it's safe to assume he has no problems with homosexuality whatsoever. How do I find out what his sexuality is, though? Do I just ask him out of the blue? I could also tell him I'm gay first but I'm a bit scared to do so!
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply! He once called out a classmate of ours on a homophobic comment, so I guess it's safe to assume he has no problems with homosexuality whatsoever. How do I find out what his sexuality is, though? Do I just ask him out of the blue? I could also tell him I'm gay first but I'm a bit scared to do so!

I feel like gay/bi people drop hints at their sexuality. At least that's what the guys around me do and when you add it up, it's quite clear that they have some sort of attraction to boys.

You need to get really close, but I feel if you get too close he will friend zone you. Oof, tough situation but assuming your in the closet because you haven't told him your gay, you could do 'would you rathers'. Drop hints yourself and see how he reacts.

Most boys act gay af when you sleep over, or at least in my experience, even on school trips a lot of private stuff seems to seep out; nothing they would dare say in school.
Ultimately, I think it's too early to tell; maybe try different tactics, try flirting with him, maybe touch him as he touches you on the arm or something. I hope you get the happy ending that you want :wink: Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Hiraeth.
I feel like gay/bi people drop hints at their sexuality. At least that's what the guys around me do and when you add it up, it's quite clear that they have some sort of attraction to boys.

You need to get really close, but I feel if you get too close he will friend zone you. Oof, tough situation but assuming your in the closet because you haven't told him your gay, you could do 'would you rathers'. Drop hints yourself and see how he reacts.

Most boys act gay af when you sleep over, or at least in my experience, even on school trips a lot of private stuff seems to seep out; nothing they would dare say in school.
Ultimately, I think it's too early to tell; maybe try different tactics, try flirting with him, maybe touch him as he touches you on the arm or something. I hope you get the happy ending that you want :wink: Good luck!

Thank you so much! Do you think I should invite him over and try dropping some hints? Maybe we could have a drink or two; seems to make things easier, but then again, I might accidentally embarrass myself. Ugh, this is complicated.
Thank you so much! Do you think I should invite him over and try dropping some hints? Maybe we could have a drink or two; seems to make things easier, but then again, I might accidentally embarrass myself. Ugh, this is complicated.

Confidence is key :wink:
Yeah I think you should invite him over, It will be cute and there's no one round to judge you. Hey, if he drinks he may slip up too you know! :tongue: He might be a lightweight :biggrin:

Bad suggestion but maybe you could watch a film with gay scenes such as Beauty and the Beast or like Love, Simon...I mean I don't think it will help at all and will probably be a waste of 1 hour but with this 'Netflix and Chill' trend, people take such activities into making out and stuff, idk maybe it will progress things. You know what just don't listen to me idk what i'm saying :rofl:

As said above I think the safest and best option is to invite him over, and see what his views on homosexuality is and move on from there :wink:
Reply 7
Confidence is key :wink:
Yeah I think you should invite him over, It will be cute and there's no one round to judge you. Hey, if he drinks he may slip up too you know! :tongue: He might be a lightweight :biggrin:

Bad suggestion but maybe you could watch a film with gay scenes such as Beauty and the Beast or like Love, Simon...I mean I don't think it will help at all and will probably be a waste of 1 hour but with this 'Netflix and Chill' trend, people take such activities into making out and stuff, idk maybe it will progress things. You know what just don't listen to me idk what i'm saying :rofl:

As said above I think the safest and best option is to invite him over, and see what his views on homosexuality is and move on from there :wink:

Thank you (again haha)!

I texted him whether he wanted to hang out this Saturday and he said yes :h:. Watching a film would be a good idea, I could try to sit just a little too close to him, or something, and see where that gets me. I could ask him to stay the night (so we can drink and do stuff like truth or dare and would you rather) but that might be a bit much right?
Ask him one question
Would you rather smash tonight or be smashed by another D?

Then you'll know
Thank you (again haha)!

I texted him whether he wanted to hang out this Saturday and he said yes :h:. Watching a film would be a good idea, I could try to sit just a little too close to him, or something, and see where that gets me. I could ask him to stay the night (so we can drink and do stuff like truth or dare and would you rather) but that might be a bit much right?

Ah you see I can't really say much on that. I'm actually very shallow and I'm the type of guy to be approached rather than approach another guy, but that doesn't mean I haven't :wink:

I feel like it is a bit too much but honestly, it just depends on how strong your relationship is. I had good relations with a guy that would just walk into my house before we had to separate. You can't rush straight in though. If he hasn't been over to your house before, don't ask him to stay over. Ease him in. Seduce him with your god-like charm :p: :lol:

But that move was great! It's awesome he's willing to hang out with you. I think whether you want to step it up a notch is your call though and is entirely dependant on the situation. Personally, I would see what he says after hanging round town. If he liked it i'll step it up.
Don't go too slow or else a chance of being friend zoned increases
(edited 6 years ago)
Ah you see I can't really say much on that. I'm actually very shallow and I'm the type of guy to be approached rather than approach another guy, but that doesn't mean I haven't :wink:

I feel like it is a bit too much but honestly, it just depends on how strong your relationship is. I had good relations with a guy that would just walk into my house before we had to separate. You can't rush straight in though. If he hasn't been over to your house before, don't ask him to stay over. Ease him in. Seduce him with your god-like charm :p:lol:

But that move was great! It's awesome he's willing to hang out with you. I think whether you want to step it up a notch is your call though and is entirely dependant on the situation. Personally, I would see what he says after hanging round town. If he liked it i'll step it up.
Don't go too slow or else a chance of being friend zoned increases

I've never properly dated a guy before (or a girl, for that matter) so I've no idea how to go about this! He's been to my house a couple of times, we've done a huge English Lit project together that required us to meet up outside of school. Most of these days we'd work for like half an hour and then just chat or play guitar, so I guess you could say we've hung out before :smile:

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about Saturday now lol, I guess I'll just go with the flow and see what happens. Most of the time it's him who decides what we're going to do so I'll just see what he has in mind and hopefully I'll be able to drop some hints!
I've never properly dated a guy before (or a girl, for that matter) so I've no idea how to go about this! He's been to my house a couple of times, we've done a huge English Lit project together that required us to meet up outside of school. Most of these days we'd work for like half an hour and then just chat or play guitar, so I guess you could say we've hung out before :smile:

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about Saturday now lol, I guess I'll just go with the flow and see what happens. Most of the time it's him who decides what we're going to do so I'll just see what he has in mind and hopefully I'll be able to drop some hints!

Haha well, good luck I guess. No need to be nervous you'll be fine since you have hung out before, I think you'll know what to do and say when the time comes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending