The Student Room Group

Year 12 mocks/uni/grades help

Hello, I'm in year 12 and as you know there aren't any (or not many) AS levels now and it is just a levels at the end of y13. This means in y12 there are just mocks that you do. Can someone explain are the uni offers based on what you get in the mocks of y12? because what else could they be based on if we apply to uni at the beginning of y13? Also what happens if you mess up on your mocks and get bad grades, do not get an offer from a university but then get the required grades in your final a levels? Pls help I'm so confused
Reply 1
my predictions we're partly based on the end of year mocks. However teachers do take in to account the grades through assessment and commitment. Work hard at it
Depends on school, my school has entered me for AS examinations for all my subjects. Some might enter you in only for subjects you intend on dropping so you get something out of it, others give you end of year mocks.

I take it you're part of the latter group. Universities typically look at these but they'll tend to look towards predictions and GCSEs slightly more than they would with say an AS examination which gives a more concrete indication of progress. It also depends on the school, some schools I know are a little bit more liberal with their handling of the exams, at least by marking etc.

Ok, let's assume you've not done so well in your end of year mocks, AS, etc.

You probably may get your predicted grades still, at least sufficient to apply some places you want, if you feel that your grades are low and haven't gotten an offer, you can buckle down for the final exams. You get the grades you want, you then can either go through clearing. and see what's available (usually when uni spaces aren't quite full and they're trying to get you spots), alternatively, take a gap year out, so you can reapply for the next cycle.

There are some perceived 'advantages', here. Like I said, a lot of applicants are applying with very vague mock grades and predicted grades, which have a much larger margin for error, your main pro here is that if you have extremely good grades, you have ALREADY achieved them, they are banked and secured. Meaning should you possess the grades, there is a higher chance (not guarantee), of getting successful offers.
Thank you - this helps a lot!
So do Uni's look at predicted grades more than the mocks?

Original post by AryanGh
Depends on school, my school has entered me for AS examinations for all my subjects. Some might enter you in only for subjects you intend on dropping so you get something out of it, others give you end of year mocks.

I take it you're part of the latter group. Universities typically look at these but they'll tend to look towards predictions and GCSEs slightly more than they would with say an AS examination which gives a more concrete indication of progress. It also depends on the school, some schools I know are a little bit more liberal with their handling of the exams, at least by marking etc.

Ok, let's assume you've not done so well in your end of year mocks, AS, etc.

You probably may get your predicted grades still, at least sufficient to apply some places you want, if you feel that your grades are low and haven't gotten an offer, you can buckle down for the final exams. You get the grades you want, you then can either go through clearing. and see what's available (usually when uni spaces aren't quite full and they're trying to get you spots), alternatively, take a gap year out, so you can reapply for the next cycle.

There are some perceived 'advantages', here. Like I said, a lot of applicants are applying with very vague mock grades and predicted grades, which have a much larger margin for error, your main pro here is that if you have extremely good grades, you have ALREADY achieved them, they are banked and secured. Meaning should you possess the grades, there is a higher chance (not guarantee), of getting successful offers.
Universities will not look at the year 12 mocks, they are only for the school to see what level you are at. The school will then give you predictions based on mostly the mocks as well as on any assessments done throughout the year. It is worth checking this though because some schools will purely look at the mock and not any other tests. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
My teachers said they aren’t taking consideration of my past work, just my mock grade. 🤦*♀️
Original post by TheAlchemistress
My teachers said they aren’t taking consideration of my past work, just my mock grade. 🤦*♀️

Ahh I hope they go/went well! I just completed mine and we find out our results next week. I’m quite nervous tbh but if it doesn’t go to plan I hope my past tests will make up for it 😬
Original post by okurr123
Ahh I hope they go/went well! I just completed mine and we find out our results next week. I’m quite nervous tbh but if it doesn’t go to plan I hope my past tests will make up for it 😬

Mine really won’t.
Original post by Schoolgirl_8926
Hello, I'm in year 12 and as you know there aren't any (or not many) AS levels now and it is just a levels at the end of y13. This means in y12 there are just mocks that you do. Can someone explain are the uni offers based on what you get in the mocks of y12? because what else could they be based on if we apply to uni at the beginning of y13? Also what happens if you mess up on your mocks and get bad grades, do not get an offer from a university but then get the required grades in your final a levels? Pls help I'm so confused

At my school they were, but there were opportunities for internal retakes at beginning of yr 13, which you could always ask for a retest if you feel you can boost your grade and to show you seriously want to do well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest