Help with a Sociology question - research methods

Watch
crystaljones232
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys! I have this 25 marker and I just don't know where to start. I've tried to find the mark scheme but I think it's a sample paper so I cant find it.

"Using Source B and your wider sociological knowledge, assess the usefulness of analysing quantitative secondary sources of data in studying social inequalities in mobile phone use"

Source B is about a study into the 'digital divide', so the use of mobile phones by each generation.

I just don't know where to start, TIA!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
s.mo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Start with explain theoretical perspectives in terms of who would favour which type of research - so positivists favour quantitative data because it helps them to establish cause and effect patterns objectively and interpretivists factor qualitative becuase it helps them draw conclusions and find meanings from the perspective of the actor

Then for each para write a strength or advantage of quantitative secondary sources - so that would be official statistics right?
And use the PEELE (evaluation at the end of a paragraph) and keep linking to the theoretical perspective

Sorry I don’t know how you would link it as I don’t do that topic but if your saying one of the advantages of using secondary sources is that it’s representative because it’s already been collected in a large amount say why this would be useful in studying social inequalities- so they can apply it to the wider population more effectively and therefore it’s an accurate representation and is generalisable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (451)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (425)
13.91%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.39%

Watched Threads