Turn on thread page Beta

What is the biggest problem with adults nowadays? watch

ReputationRep:
    Not taking children's and teenagers mental health seriously because they are "too young" to be depressed.

Any other suggestions?

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Obesity ?

ReputationRep:
    this is better than the teen one, as its todays adults failing the kids.

Today's adults are carrying unresolved issues from their *****y childhoods is all. In this country poverty was far worse and in your face, your parents lived in rundown places and deprived areas, ghetto descendants, or suffered legal prejudice. Having kids prematurely and bringing them into it and here we are:tea:.

ReputationRep:
    letting their children use social media

ReputationRep:
    pressuring kids to do well at school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    pressuring kids to do well at school
    :eyeball: that's a good thing. I know people who pressure their kids to steal.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to live through their children because they are disappointed with how their own lives turned out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    I think what the poster meant was that parents and teachers put enormous amount of pressure on teenagers to do well in exams and they brainwash them into thinking their exams are life or death. Of course we all need a bit of pressure to do well but the pressure put on teenagers to get into university is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    they're all a bunch of sad, miserable whingers

boo hoo i have money problems (which i brought on myself), boo hoo the kids i desperately wanted are annoying me, boo hoo i can't get a woman, boo hoo politics.... urgh just **** off already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    I think what the poster meant was that parents and teachers put enormous amount of pressure on teenagers to do well in exams and they brainwash them into thinking their exams are life or death. Of course we all need a bit of pressure to do well but the pressure put on teenagers to get into university is ridiculous.
    Yeah you just have to look at all the crybabys who show up on TSR to know how this isn't a good thing at all. Nobody knows how to deal with failure anymore because of the unrealistic expectations put upon them. There's always another way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Yeah you just have to look at all the crybabys who show up on TSR to know how this isn't a good thing at all. Nobody knows how to deal with failure anymore because of the unrealistic expectations put upon them. There's always another way.
    You kinda defeated your purpose when you called em crybabies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    boo hoo i have money problems (which i brought on myself),
    where'd you get that from. You must be a financial dependent or a sheltered minor to say something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    they're all a bunch of sad, miserable whingers

boo hoo i have money problems (which i brought on myself), boo hoo the kids i desperately wanted are annoying me, boo hoo i can't get a woman, boo hoo politics.... urgh just **** off already!
    The worst one is when they act like they want some sort of medal for feeding their children and putting a roof over their head. Of course we appreciate it but I hate it when they blow their own trumpet about it. It's a parents DUTY to feed their child and provide shelter for them until they are an adult themselves. No one has children forced upon them it's a CHOICE so parents shouldn't want a trophy for looking after their own damn children.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe obesity, or expecting things to be done instantly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Very true. Teenagers who don't perform well in school feel like their lives are over and it causes them to suffer mentally. Even teenagers who DID do well in school feel like that because even though they did well they didn't do well enough to meet their parents unrealistic expectations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    go away

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a large research suggestion. Also children and young adults are not "too young" to be depressed, mental health disorders are not something that can be confined to a certain age grouping as they can begin at any point in any person's life especially for children now with the increase of social media, pressure during education and the current economic climate that will affect current generations worse than any previous generation (increased house prices, job uncertainty, pressure to obtain advanced skills and or degrees to achieve "success" in life). So before you undermine mental health disorders within the younger age tier please educate yourself.

Anyway, "the problem with adults nowadays" doesn't exist at least not in the sense that you are providing. The problems adults face are the same they have faced for generations upon generations, however, the social setting has changed with emerging technologies and infrastructure. You could look into this question from multiple aspects: the home, the workplace, mental health, marriage etc. So, if we take adults in different epochs then we can divide them into the different issues they have faced throughout their lives to end up with the problems they face. For those too old to be classed as millenials, we can see issues (at its most basic level) resulting from post-war poverty and the failings of the government to provide them with job opportunities as well as job security. For example, the miners in the UK were told they had a job for life, and yet their way of life had to end to prevent further economic failures, hence many were forced to take up new skills etc causing problems for them later in life. This question completely depends on the aspect you wish to look into to and cannot be answered with just "the kids" or "jobs", it would need compressing into certain subjects to refine what you want to find out about for example "why are adults born in the 80s more likely to become divorced" or "why are 90s babies more likely to have severe mental health disorders."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plxton)
    This is quite a large research suggestion. Also children and young adults are not "too young" to be depressed, mental health disorders are not something that can be confined to a certain age grouping as they can begin at any point in any person's life especially for children now with the increase of social media, pressure during education and the current economic climate that will affect current generations worse than any previous generation (increased house prices, job uncertainty, pressure to obtain advanced skills and or degrees to achieve "success" in life). So before you undermine mental health disorders within the younger age tier please educate yourself.

Anyway, "the problem with adults nowadays" doesn't exist at least not in the sense that you are providing. The problems adults face are the same they have faced for generations upon generations, however, the social setting has changed with emerging technologies and infrastructure. You could look into this question from multiple aspects: the home, the workplace, mental health, marriage etc. So, if we take adults in different epochs then we can divide them into the different issues they have faced throughout their lives to end up with the problems they face. For those too old to be classed as millenials, we can see issues (at its most basic level) resulting from post-war poverty and the failings of the government to provide them with job opportunities as well as job security. For example, the miners in the UK were told they had a job for life, and yet their way of life had to end to prevent further economic failures, hence many were forced to take up new skills etc causing problems for them later in life. This question completely depends on the aspect you wish to look into to and cannot be answered with just "the kids" or "jobs", it would need compressing into certain subjects to refine what you want to find out about for example "why are adults born in the 80s more likely to become divorced" or "why are 90s babies more likely to have severe mental health disorders."
    I agree. What I said in my original post was that it's wrong for some adults to not take mental health in children seriously because many adults think children are "too young" to be depressed which is wrong. I wasn't undermining mental health in young people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    go away
    :smug: no.

ReputationRep:
    Ones who treat their kids like they own them, or when they complain about you being you. If you do not like having kids then why did you have one...

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.