The Student Room Group

Need some work advice please

I am 18 years old and I have recently started a call centre job, having worked in retail for a year and over. I hate it. Absolutely cannot stand the site of being there. I have cried more tears in the last few days than I have in a lifetime. It is making me feel sick and I am definitely not in the right mental state to be attending.

I have spoken to family and friends, who have advised I go to the doctors and to go on the sick. I am aware I can self certify for a week but anything thereafter needs to be signed off by a GP. I have been working at this place for around a month now, which means I will still be on probation.

If I was going to go on the sick, could they dismiss be straight away if I handed in a note for stress and anxiety? I cant stress enough how upset I am, I am in utter disbelief to how rude people are on the phones, they make me feel like crap when all I am doing is trying to help and I know this job isnt for me but I need to get my head straight before I make any decisions.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Please no crap or telling me to stick it out, a month has been enough for me to see that this job will tear me down.
Reply 1
If you’ve made up your mind about the job not being for you, why do you need to get a note from the GP to get you signed off? If you’re on probation your notice period is probably shorter than if you weren’t on probation, maybe only a week or two. That means you can literally quit tomorrow and only have to work there another 2 weeks, one of which you could self certify as being too ill to attend. Hope you manage to find a job better for you, good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am 18 years old and I have recently started a call centre job, having worked in retail for a year and over. I hate it. Absolutely cannot stand the site of being there. I have cried more tears in the last few days than I have in a lifetime. It is making me feel sick and I am definitely not in the right mental state to be attending.

I have spoken to family and friends, who have advised I go to the doctors and to go on the sick. I am aware I can self certify for a week but anything thereafter needs to be signed off by a GP. I have been working at this place for around a month now, which means I will still be on probation.

If I was going to go on the sick, could they dismiss be straight away if I handed in a note for stress and anxiety? I cant stress enough how upset I am, I am in utter disbelief to how rude people are on the phones, they make me feel like crap when all I am doing is trying to help and I know this job isnt for me but I need to get my head straight before I make any decisions.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Please no crap or telling me to stick it out, a month has been enough for me to see that this job will tear me down.

Absolutely no job is worth feeling like how you feel right now, especially not a call centre job which no doubt is made to cause people more distress than it’s worth.
Hand your notice in now, whilst it may be their deciding period for you it’s also your deciding period for the job - whether you truly want it or not. The beauty of probationary periods is that no notice is needed - you have every right to say I’m not coming in anymore and leaving the next day.
Whilst I always advocate to people to try and stick jobs out for a few days more to see if things change, it is clear in this circumstance they will not and you will only get yourself more stressed knowing you have to go back, not worth it for that sort of job IMO
You should probably leave - I worked in retail for over a year and hated it, just stuck with it because I thought that's what all jobs were like - then I started working as a bartender and actually began to enjoy myself and i realised how sh*t working in the retail kinda environment is - sounds to me like you need a new job

In relation to sickness, I don't think they can fire you for sickness, however, I know whenever people I've worked with have used mental illness for their reason of sickness my bosses have always thought it a bit pathetic - even with a doctors note! - and usually these people don't last long after, especially if they're on the probation period, it's kind of like an area in which you can get fired for pretty much anything. But, employers have to be really careful with things like sickness because of working rights etc. - they could end up with a lawsuit on their hands if they can't find another reason to sack you other than sickness

Honestly, it you hate it that much then you should really find a new job, calling in sick is only really a short term solution isn't it?
Reply 4
Original post by charlotte100200
You should probably leave - I worked in retail for over a year and hated it, just stuck with it because I thought that's what all jobs were like - then I started working as a bartender and actually began to enjoy myself and i realised how sh*t working in the retail kinda environment is - sounds to me like you need a new job

In relation to sickness, I don't think they can fire you for sickness, however, I know whenever people I've worked with have used mental illness for their reason of sickness my bosses have always thought it a bit pathetic - even with a doctors note! - and usually these people don't last long after, especially if they're on the probation period, it's kind of like an area in which you can get fired for pretty much anything. But, employers have to be really careful with things like sickness because of working rights etc. - they could end up with a lawsuit on their hands if they can't find another reason to sack you other than sickness

Honestly, it you hate it that much then you should really find a new job, calling in sick is only really a short term solution isn't it?

Thank you guys for all your advice and I do agree with everything you have said about what is the point of staying there.
But if I ring up tomorrow and say I’m not coming back my employment terminated there and then. And I need some sort of income to even survive with food over the next month:frown: even one week of SSP would make the world of difference to me. I’m very disappointed in my self and my life situation atm I feel like a mess. I am even nervous to ring tomorrow just to say I’m not coming in, the people there are so god damn lovely but the job itself is way too painful to endure full time.
Thankyou for your advice though honestly, I can relate to the pain of your retail. Any advice on getting over nerves of ringing in? I wouldn’t even know how to tell them in the next week or so that I won’t be coming back, not sure whether to email text.
Original post by Anonymous

You clearly need to focus your attentions on getting out of there! Look for work where you either don’t have to engage with the public in this way or something else where you’re able to use a skill you’re good at. You’re only 18!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending