Non-Drinkers Watch

The Introvert
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was just wondering whether there are any other TSR users who don’t drink alcohol (like myself) and why they choose not to.

Personally, I don’t really see why you would want to lose control over yourself and make irrational decisions for fun. It probably also helps that I’ve had quite bad social anxiey and as a result have never actually been to a proper party (I’ve just turned 18) and as a result I haven’t been overly exposed or peer pressured into drinking.

How about you? 🍺
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Religious reasons foremost although that doesn’t stop the vast majority of people.

Bar that, I’d rather be aware of my situation at all times.
TCA2b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I rarely drink, myself, and if I do it's just because I like the flavour of the drink. I don't see the point in it either, beyond that.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The Introvert)
I was just wondering whether there are any other TSR users who don’t drink alcohol (like myself) and why they choose not to.

Personally, I don’t really see why you would want to lose control over yourself and make irrational decisions for fun. It probably also helps that I’ve had quite bad social anxiey and as a result have never actually been to a proper party (I’ve just turned 18) and as a result I haven’t been overly exposed or peer pressured into drinking.

How about you? 🍺
Religious reasons.
username3846620
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personal reasons.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I don’t really see why you would want to lose control over yourself and make irrational decisions for fun.
This. But also it leaves me with more money for tea.
The Introvert
Rep:
?
Also, how does this affect you on nights out with friends?
GentleGalaxy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t drink, I’ve not wanted to since I was 13 and everyone kept telling me I’d change my mind. I didn’t.
I don’t drink for similar reasons as you, the idea of losing control of yourself freaks me out and certainly doesn’t seem fun to me, I don’t like the idea of something altering how I think or act and being left powerless to it. I’ve also seen far too many people get drunk, it does not look enjoyable!
On top of that, I like very few alcoholic drinks, if I do drink the odd one to get people off my back, I end up watering it down with whatever I can as I hate the taste.
Bananas 93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I drink maybe two glasses of a cocktail a month with vodka in or I can go without alcohol for that month. To be honest I don’t get the interest of getting completely drunk and not knowing where I am
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
religious reasons

plus my year is so batshit crazy it's actually put me of drinking alcohol
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't see the fun in it. Spend more money on crap that is bad for your health in order to be 'socially accepted' and 'funny'.

Meh... I'll pass.
username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only drink beer as I hate the taste of spirits! Nothing beats a cold one with the lads. And alcohol doesnt turn you into an idiot if you drink responsibly.. so dont act superior.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t drink. I have heart problems (which for some reason I’m never entirely comfortable discussing) and I don’t think drinking alcohol will improve the situation.
Bananas 93
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also I think I made my mind up when I was a school so 9 years ago the days leading up to us leaving we had the police in and I still remember it to this day!

They set a road collision with tape and a coffin and they had videos of people flying through a windscreen and hitting the road sign and then a tree. They then also brought on stage someone affected by his injuries when he drank and then drove home.

For me it literally hit home and I was like I am not touching a drop and if I want to have a drink I’m only having one or two.
The Introvert
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bananas 93)
Also I think I made my mind up when I was a school so 9 years ago the days leading up to us leaving we had the police in and I still remember it to this day!

They set a road collision with tape and a coffin and they had videos of people flying through a windscreen and hitting the road sign and then a tree. They then also brought on stage someone affected by his injuries when he drank and then drove home.

For me it literally hit home and I was like I am not touching a drop and if I want to have a drink I’m only having one or two.
It’s interesting to see that drink driving education actually worked in your school. For us it was just laughing at a poorly-acted outdated video that was completely unrelatable. It would probably help if we all had assemblies like that to encourage people to drink responsably.
The Introvert
Rep:
?
(Original post by GentleGalaxy)
I don’t drink, I’ve not wanted to since I was 13 and everyone kept telling me I’d change my mind. I didn’t.
I don’t drink for similar reasons as you, the idea of losing control of yourself freaks me out and certainly doesn’t seem fun to me, I don’t like the idea of something altering how I think or act and being left powerless to it. I’ve also seen far too many people get drunk, it does not look enjoyable!
On top of that, I like very few alcoholic drinks, if I do drink the odd one to get people off my back, I end up watering it down with whatever I can as I hate the taste.
Do you ever find that you miss out/avoid social events because you know that everyone else will be drunk? And you say that you sometimes drink to get people of your back, do you feel quite pressured?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I drink alcohol, but only two or three times a year. I have never and I refuse to get totally hammered. The most drunk I've gotten is tipsy, needing to walk a bit slower and hold onto a wall to help me walk. That's been at most 4 white wine spritzers. I get tipsy after just one so I'm a total lightweight, and I don't want to drink much more than that really. That amount means no hangovers either.

I don't see the appeal in blacking out drunk and being so out of it you remember nothing. That just sounds awful.
Bananas 93
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s interesting to see that drink driving education actually worked in your school. For us it was just laughing at a poorly-acted outdated video that was completely unrelatable. It would probably help if we all had assemblies like that to encourage people to drink responsably.

It worked in our school as the police were handing out tissues. Majority of us were looking away when they were flying through a windscreen.

I think it hit home with seeing an actual person now paralysed from it. He was telling us all about how he wanted to be a rugby player for England and Wales and how long he spent in hospital then the aftercare.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t hate people that want to get drunk the whole time. But I do thank the police for that assembly as it was like oh I don’t care I can drunk whenever I want and now it’s like if I see someone drunk it is like I wish you sat through that assembly
GentleGalaxy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you ever find that you miss out/avoid social events because you know that everyone else will be drunk? And you say that you sometimes drink to get people of your back, do you feel quite pressured?
I often go to parties, nights out, etc.. as I feel I’m able to have fun without alcohol, and then if I’m getting fed up because people around me have gotten really drunk I’ll tend to just leave and try to ensure my friends can get home safely. I do feel pressured often though, even fully grown adults have tried to get me to drink to the point I once found a family friend trying to slip vodka into my cola. I’ll sometimes have a Malibu and pineapple juice as the juice is so sweet I can’t taste the alcohol, it gets people who are bugging me to leave me alone.
The Introvert
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bananas 93)
Don’t get me wrong I don’t hate people that want to get drunk the whole time.
I think that’s the key point. I often get aggro from my friends who think I’m looking down on them from a moral high horse, but at the end of the day it’s just a decision that I’ve made and I’m not judging anyone else. We all have very different reasons and morals as we can see from this thread!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (546)
59.48%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (130)
14.16%

Watched Threads