Mental health vs Illness

Watch
Medic Man
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is the difference between mental health and mental illness?

What are prime examples of each category?

Im really confused why disorders such as bipolar, schizophrenia are both classified under mental health and mental illness?

Shouldnt they be in one set category i.e mental illness, or am i mistaken?
GentleGalaxy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was always under the impression mental health referred to your health mentally, much like your overall health, so it could be good or bad, it’s just referring to your health. A mental illness is when your mental health has declined and you have a diagnosed mental illness such as depression.
It’s like physical health, people refer to it as your health regardless as to whether it’s good or bad. If you had a cough, people would still say that it’s your health but it’s also an illness.
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think mental health is whether it is good or bad, as above poster stated, eg you can have a good mental health. mental illness is a specific condition for example depression that a patient is diagnosed with. you may have not great mental health but also may not have a mental illness, for example being very stressed is poor mental health but it is not the same as depression
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
Mental health simply means the health of your mind. You could have good mental health. It doesn't mean you are mentally ill - thats what mental illness means
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Medic Man)

Im really confused why disorders such as bipolar, schizophrenia are both classified under mental health and mental illness?

Mental health refers to your psychological wellbeing. One can have good mental health or poor mental health. If one has poor mental health, they may have a mental illness such as depression, schizophrenia or bipolar.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Medic Man)

Mental illness is something within the theme of mental health- like how a gut eating disease would be an issue with your gut health.
Mental health covers being happy and well, being a tad upset cos your cat punched you and more significant issues. Mental illness only covers the issues.
Medic Man
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So all mental illness are mental health issues, but not all mental health problems are mental illness?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.69%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.46%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.85%

Watched Threads