The Student Room Group

Success in transferring courses?

Hey all

I just wanted to ask for anecdotes regarding people transferring courses? I've seen questions about how to do so, but I wanted to know if people were actually able to transfer courses, either before entering uni or while at uni.

(side note: by my irresponsibility, I didn't know my firm uni offered Econ and Politics as a separate course to PPE, and I'm more keen to do Econ and Politics instead of the big three, so I wanted to know if people were able to transfer.)
Original post by anxiughty
Hey all

I just wanted to ask for anecdotes regarding people transferring courses? I've seen questions about how to do so, but I wanted to know if people were actually able to transfer courses, either before entering uni or while at uni.

(side note: by my irresponsibility, I didn't know my firm uni offered Econ and Politics as a separate course to PPE, and I'm more keen to do Econ and Politics instead of the big three, so I wanted to know if people were able to transfer.)

Swapping your course on ucas isn’t a Transfer. It’s normally a 5 minute phone call to sort out. Ring your firm up and ask them if it’s possible and if so when/how you should switch.
Original post by anxiughty
Hey all

Hi there,

I study Interior Design at Sheffield Hallam; however I originally applied to do Fine Art, after a month on the course I decided it wasn't for me. They usually recommend changing courses within the first 2 weeks; however I did not find it any more difficult to change courses. It just involved a chat with my department's student services and the course leader of the course I wanted to transfer to. It was an informal chat/ interview where I showed him some of my work and told him why I wanted to change courses. I was allowed onto the course as long as I was willing to make up for the work I had misses.

Another girl on my course transferred from geography which isn't in the same department but she also didn't have any issues changing. Another friend of mine who studies in Nottingham now changed courses even though she had been accepted into her first choice, she wanted to go to her second choice and do a different subject and she also managed to get this done. Another of my friends also changed from Fine art and Art History to Anthropology and environmental studies.

I would advise getting in touch with the university as soon as possible and discussing your query. I assume they will probably ask you to accept the course and try it out for a few weeks then change if you still fell the same way, to they will help you to change immediately. Usually some spaces on courses crop up due to others wanting to change courses, you may have to wait until a space becomes available also.

Hope that helps

Chandni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending