The Student Room Group

Can't revise, help please.

I'm coming to the end of my 2 week holiday which I was gonna use to revise for my GCSEs but to be honest I haven't revised a single bit and I have my GCSE exams in a month. I don't know why but I just can't revise, I'll sit there for hours trying but nothing will go into my head.Can someone help please cause I'm really starting to get worried I might fail.
Reply 1
Have you made yourself a timetable? It can help by being really structured, as then you know exactly what you need to learn in a certain time period. This both makes it less daunting and more rewarding. You can concentrate on that one task. i also try and break it into pretty small chunks - revise for 30 / 40 mins, and then have 5 - 10 mins off . and then after 2 hours take a long break. this is supposed to be much more effective and makes focussing easier.

Have you also tried switching up different forms of revision? Youtube channels can be useful, platforms like Seneca Learning are really engaging and make learning super easy, and then quiz sites can be good like quizlet. Basically best to give each of these a go, and see which resonates best with you!
Don't worry bud, timetables are a very valid choice for structured learning. However you should sit at a place with minimal distractions and put on instrumental or classical music. Take tests and do questions on every subject and then revise the topics you did worse at and keep on doing it, hopefully it will allow you to start memorizing more.
Best of luck.
Original post by ChrisX10
I'm coming to the end of my 2 week holiday which I was gonna use to revise for my GCSEs but to be honest I haven't revised a single bit and I have my GCSE exams in a month. I don't know why but I just can't revise, I'll sit there for hours trying but nothing will go into my head.Can someone help please cause I'm really starting to get worried I might fail.

Ok my first exam is the 15th April I’ll assume yours is too

Week 1 English
Week 2 maths
Week 3 science
Week 4 option 1 and 2
Week 5 option 3 and 4
Last five days science revision (they’re the first)

Revision tips
Flash cards- they don’t work for me but note form on a small piece of paper may help you. Put facts on the cards and have them on walls that you’ll see

Note sheets
Go through all your topics and write key information about it so in English do poems and answer techniques in maths formulas and science knowledge of the topics, practicals and physics formulae. (These aren’t everything you need to do but a start)

From these notes you can jog your memory on key things the morning before an exam and revises the formulas easily because they are right there in a list. I’d revise these by continuously writing them out in a list until you can do them the night before

Quick Reply

Latest