littlelydia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is it possible to do BOTH A-level music and A-level music technology?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by littlelydia)
Have you found someone who can offer you both courses?
have you checked with uni courses you are interested in as to whether they will accept them as two different A levels? They may be too similar.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by littlelydia)
Yes, it's possible. Although music appears in the title for both, the curriculums are quite different. Music is more academic, theory biased, with wide historical content and solo performance is grade 7 to 8 standard or above if you aspire to A or A* achievement.

Music technology concentrates on recording, production and sound reinforcement techniques. It is biased to technology with composition accomplished through synthesis and heavily reliant on computer software.

University music courses will accept both. However, do check if you intend to go down the degree route, your intended degree may not accept both as satisfying course entry requirements for two subjects.

For instance, music, music tech' and physics as a-level choices, will not get you onto an engineering degree.
littlelydia
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Have you found someone who can offer you both courses?
have you checked with uni courses you are interested in as to whether they will accept them as two different A levels? They may be too similar.
I haven't asked my school yet, and I also haven't really considered Uni yet either. However, thank you for making this aware to me, as I wouldn't have thought about it otherwise.
littlelydia
Rep:
?
(Original post by uberteknik)
Yes, it's possible. Although music appears in the title for both, the curriculums are quite different. Music is more academic, theory biased, with wide historical content and solo performance is grade 7 to 8 standard or above if you aspire to A or A* achievement.

Music technology concentrates on recording, production and sound reinforcement techniques. It is biased to technology with composition accomplished through synthesis and heavily reliant on computer software.

University music courses will accept both. However, do check if you intend to go down the degree route, your intended degree may not accept both as satisfying course entry requirements for two subjects.

For instance, music, music tech' and physics as a-level choices, will not get you onto an engineering degree.
Thank you for this information and advice, it's very helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads