Student Finance giving me THE WORST time because I’m on a gap year!!!! Watch

Daisyscarletg
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am so angry with the student loans company (England). They are treating my application completely as if I’m an EU citizen who RECENTLY moved to the U.K. therefore making things tedious while on my gap year. The story goes:
I’m an eu citizen by rights of my mum (who’s French) BUT was born in the U.K. and raised here my entire life therefore I consider myself a UK National and/or resident.
I’m currently on a gap year and have flown in and out of London for the purposes of completing my student finance application and sending in evidence. I was super worried about sending in my passport (due the fact that I am travelling until university starts which is likely August that I’ll be back) so I called SFE and asked them what to do.
They then TOLD ME I can “send in a certified copy of my passport with ease and we will accept this as evidence”. So I sent that along with my birth certificate and relevant forms.
They then get back to me A WEEK LATER saying THEY NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT and that I didn’t provide them with the correct evidence.
They then sent me a form to fill out. It was asking for 5 years worth of proof of residency as if I’ve just entered the country?????? They misinformed me and thus I’ve spebt my money and time running around finding evidence that they then decide to deny.

I refuse to send my passport due to the fact that I am constantly travelling and will be back late summer to start university preparation so I cannot do anything.

I think it’s so unfair that student finance are choosing to do this to me, a U.K. national, when plenty of other people applying NEVER SENT THEIR PASSPORTS just birth certificate and all was well. I send one verified copy of my passport and suddenly they change their mind.
I’m incredibly angry with them and hoping someone can help me find a solution to this wherein the evidence I have given is sufficient.

I truly think they have confused my application for an EU student and not a U.K. home students application.
(I can provide my customer reference number if requested)

Thanks.
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Daisyscarletg)
I am so angry with the student loans company (England). They are treating my application completely as if I’m an EU citizen who RECENTLY moved to the U.K. therefore making things tedious while on my gap year. The story goes:
I’m an eu citizen by rights of my mum (who’s French) BUT was born in the U.K. and raised here my entire life therefore I consider myself a UK National and/or resident.
I’m currently on a gap year and have flown in and out of London for the purposes of completing my student finance application and sending in evidence. I was super worried about sending in my passport (due the fact that I am travelling until university starts which is likely August that I’ll be back) so I called SFE and asked them what to do.
They then TOLD ME I can “send in a certified copy of my passport with ease and we will accept this as evidence”. So I sent that along with my birth certificate and relevant forms.
They then get back to me A WEEK LATER saying THEY NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT and that I didn’t provide them with the correct evidence.
They then sent me a form to fill out. It was asking for 5 years worth of proof of residency as if I’ve just entered the country?????? They misinformed me and thus I’ve spebt my money and time running around finding evidence that they then decide to deny.

I refuse to send my passport due to the fact that I am constantly travelling and will be back late summer to start university preparation so I cannot do anything.

I think it’s so unfair that student finance are choosing to do this to me, a U.K. national, when plenty of other people applying NEVER SENT THEIR PASSPORTS just birth certificate and all was well. I send one verified copy of my passport and suddenly they change their mind.
I’m incredibly angry with them and hoping someone can help me find a solution to this wherein the evidence I have given is sufficient.

I truly think they have confused my application for an EU student and not a U.K. home students application.

Thanks.
Hi Daisyscarletg,

You may have indicated on your application that you are an EU student rather than a UK national.

We have no specific account access on The Student Room, if you can call us or contact us on Twitter or Facebook, we can look into this further for you,

Tel: 0300 100 0607
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday. Local call rates apply).

Alternatively contact us on Twitter or Facebook,

http://twitter.com/SF_England

http://facebook.com/SFEngland

Regards Rona
Louise E SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks.
Hi Daisyscarletg,

I apologise if you feel that Student Finance are not processing your application efficiently . I appreciate your frustration and would like to ask some questions regarding your application and evidence.
You have advised that you were born in the UK and have a UK birth certificate , can you confirm if at any time since birth you were resident in the UK? If so how long long were you living in the UK for and how long have you been living in France for?

Thanks

Louise
Daisyscarletg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Louise E SFE)
Hi Daisyscarletg,

I apologise if you feel that Student Finance are not processing your application efficiently . I appreciate your frustration and would like to ask some questions regarding your application and evidence.
You have advised that you were born in the UK and have a UK birth certificate , can you confirm if at any time since birth you were resident in the UK? If so how long long were you living in the UK for and how long have you been living in France for?

Thanks

Louise

As stated before I have always been in the U.K. born raised never lived in France or any other eu country. Always been in the U.K. and now it seems I’m classified as some sort of newly recolated immigrant.
How can I fix the application ?
Daisyscarletg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rona SFE)
Hi Daisyscarletg,

You may have indicated on your application that you are an EU student rather than a UK national.

We have no specific account access on The Student Room, if you can call us or contact us on Twitter or Facebook, we can look into this further for you,

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday. Local call rates apply).

Regards Rona

Aldo, I’m pretty sure I confirmed my residency by giving them 3 years worth of address history which is what other U.K. applicants do
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aldo, I’m pretty sure I confirmed my residency by giving them 3 years worth of address history which is what other U.K. applicants do
Hi Daisyscarletg,

If you call or contact us on Twitter or Facebook you can be confident that one of my colleagues will look into this further for you.

Thanks Rona
Daisyscarletg
Rep:
?
Hi Daisyscarletg,

If you call or contact us on Twitter or Facebook you can be confident that one of my colleagues will look into this further for you.

Thanks Rona

You have also kept my certified copy of my passport for some reason? You also kept my declaration forms and birth / adoption certificate form too??? Why have you kept and accepted this but sent back my birth certificate only along with a ridiculous request to send evidence of 5 years residency????
I’m tired of the misinformation
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have also kept my certified copy of my passport for some reason? You also kept my declaration forms and birth / adoption certificate form too??? Why have you kept and accepted this but sent back my birth certificate only along with a ridiculous request to send evidence of 5 years residency????
I’m tired of the misinformation
Hi Daisyscarletg,

We will always return original identity evidence first, other evidence will be returned standard post.

I am sorry but as advised we have no access to specific accounts on The Student Room, if you can call us or contact us on Twitter or Facebook we can look into you application further.

Regards Rona
Daisyscarletg
Rep:
?
Hi Daisyscarletg,

We will always return original identity evidence first, other evidence will be returned standard post.

I am sorry but as advised we have no access to specific accounts on The Student Room, if you can call us or contact us on Twitter or Facebook we can look into you application further.

Regards Rona
Okay so you eventually return all evidence if the evidence given isn’t sufficient? I haven’t recieved all my forms back
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (338)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.2%