is socioeconomic success the same thing as academic success?

Watch
578.ccu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am so confused about the term - socioeconomic success.
Does it comprise academic success? or it is a different thing?

Thank you in advance
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Success is understood as the attainment of an objective or reaching a certain type of status.
"Socioeconomic" is a compound adjective, i.e. both components combine to modify the word they describe, in this instance, "social", "economic" and "success."
So "socioeconomic success" means a measure of the success or status that results from the interaction of differing social and economic variables such as education, occupation, income.
Whereas academic success is a measure of the status achieved in just one of those variables: education.
Finally, "success" is a subjective term, and therefore fluid in its interpretation. Some people might regard the attainment of 6 GCSE's as an academic success, but for others, it might mean the completion of a postgraduate degree.
So yes, "socioeconomic success" and "academic success" are different, and the latter contributes to understandings of the former.
578.ccu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
Success is understood as the attainment of an objective or reaching a certain type of status.
"Socioeconomic" is a compound adjective, i.e. both components combine to modify the word they describe, in this instance, "social", "economic" and "success."
So "socioeconomic success" means a measure of the success or status that results from the interaction of differing social and economic variables such as education, occupation, income.
Whereas academic success is a measure of the status achieved in just one of those variables: education.
Finally, "success" is a subjective term, and therefore fluid in its interpretation. Some people might regard the attainment of 6 GCSE's as an academic success, but for others, it might mean the completion of a postgraduate degree.
So yes, "socioeconomic success" and "academic success" are different, and the latter contributes to understandings of the former.

Thank you so much for your clear and detailed explanation
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 578.ccu)
Thank you so much for your clear and detailed explanation
Lol. Go and write your essay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads