The Student Room Group

Open a bank account without proof of address?

I'm 17 (will be 18 in a week or two), I live with my father, and we have moved houses relatively recently.
I haven't received any letters from school at this new address, and naturally I don't pay any utility bills.
I haven't got a driving licence nor a provisional one, and my National Insurance Number letter (and all letters I have, really) have my old address on them. School is closed and I can't get them to send me a letter.
Any way to open the account without a proof of address?
Original post by fyvaproldzhe
I'm 17 (will be 18 in a week or two), I live with my father, and we have moved houses relatively recently.
I haven't received any letters from school at this new address, and naturally I don't pay any utility bills.
I haven't got a driving licence nor a provisional one, and my National Insurance Number letter (and all letters I have, really) have my old address on them. School is closed and I can't get them to send me a letter.
Any way to open the account without a proof of address?

You can ask your school secretary to print a letter for you with your address on it stating you go to the school, then they'll officially stamp it for authenticity and they or your head of year will sign it. You'll need to wait until you go back to school as you can't open a bank account without proof of address.
Original post by Glassapple
You can ask your school secretary to print a letter for you with your address on it stating you go to the school, then they'll officially stamp it for authenticity and they or your head of year will sign it.

Like I said, the school is closed for another two weeks, so should I just wait until then?
If you have Thames water as your supplier, you can add another account, in your name, as an additional account. This means your name will be printed on the bill but to the right. Once you've done that, tell them to that the main account person has told you that you are going to be paying the bill from now and that the main account person will no longer pay, so can you make me the main account. If they try to tell you there is no point, just stick with it, trust me, it worked for me. Once you've done all that, ask them to send you another bill ASAP. It will come in 5 ish days. BOOM
Original post by simple123site
If you have Thames water as your supplier, you can add another account, in your name, as an additional account. This means your name will be printed on the bill but to the right. Once you've done that, tell them to that the main account person has told you that you are going to be paying the bill from now and that the main account person will no longer pay, so can you make me the main account. If they try to tell you there is no point, just stick with it, trust me, it worked for me. Once you've done all that, ask them to send you another bill ASAP. It will come in 5 ish days. BOOM

That's a lot of hassle with possible financial implications for something you don't need to do. If you tell them you'll be paying and the main account holder will no longer be paying that implicates you to pay future bills. They then might find it suspicious if the actual person who should be paying the bill then pays it when you've told them you'll be paying it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Glassapple
That's a lot of hassle with possible financial implications for something you don't need to do. If you tell them you'll be paying and the main account holder will no longer be paying that implicates you to pay future bills. They then might find it suspicious if the actual person who should be paying the bill then pays it when you've told them you'll be paying it.

They can't tell who pays, even tho you are the main account person. Every household has a code which they use to pay regardless of who is the main account person; they scan the code and you pay monthly or whatever your preference is.

But the previous main account holder can still be included, but he/she will now be an additional account person. if you ask. Once your done with this, you can phone them again to switch back to an additional account or remove your self completely
Original post by fyvaproldzhe
Like I said, the school is closed for another two weeks, so should I just wait until then?

Do you need to open the account in the next two weeks? If not just wait it out, two weeks is nothing.

A quick google search seems to show there are some banks where you don't need a proof of address to open an account. Perhaps going in to a branch with your dad and explaining the situation might work.

Personally I'd just wait rather than faff around doing what the other poster suggests.
I'd just go with your dad to his bank with your birth certificate.
Register to vote at your new address and your local council will send you a letter confirming this. I used this as evidence to get a mortgage.
Halifax is the only bank that allows iirc but they might have changed the policy, it’s worth a check anyway
I didn't have to have proof of address with Nationwide. They just checked I was registered on the electoral roll.
Electoral roll registration is the easiest.

You will need that to improve your credit score if at some stage you need a credit card, mortgage or unsecured loan.
I'm not on the electoral roll, so I'll just wait 2 weeks, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending