The Student Room Group

maths a level

I'm debating whether to take maths a level, as although I'm good at it, I find it quite boring, but if need be I don't mind taking it

I'm currently going to take biology, chemistry and psychology

will not having maths be a disadvantage? not only for chemistry and biology, but will it be difficult to do the UKCAT and BMAT without a level maths? and will unis see me not having maths as a disadvantage?
(also I'm not interested in doing 4 a levels, would rather focus on 3)

btw I'm predicted a 9 at gcse maths, and I'm aiming to go to unis like ICL and KCL
thanks!!!!
Original post by slimthicc
I'm debating whether to take maths a level, as although I'm good at it, I find it quite boring, but if need be I don't mind taking it

will not having maths be a disadvantage? not only for chemistry and biology, but will it be difficult to do the UKCAT and BMAT without a level maths? and will unis see me not having maths as a disadvantage?

btw I'm predicted a 9 at gcse maths, and I'm aiming to go to unis like ICL and KCL
thanks!!!!

I'm assuming this is for medicine (it helps to be clear in your posts). You don't need the maths to get into uni and no you won't necessarily be at a disadvantage unless you apply somewhere that needs it. It will help though.

thanks!!!!

if your good it'll be a easy grade
an*

thanks!!!!

This will sound quite shallow, but easy=less work. If you had said maths was boring AND you'd have to put more work into it then I'd say not to consider it. But if you know that you can easily get an A in it, then why not? You will require AAA or higher for medicine, and if you can breeze through one then you can focus on the other two.

However, not doing maths will not put you at a disadvantage in anyway. You can get by the UKCAT and BMAT on GCSEs level maths (you might have to study a bit more for it and cover new things that your exam board may not have covered, but it's fine), and in A-level biology you might have to do a bit of stats, but they'll teach you that too.

In the end, do what you'd like but also consider if you will be able to get the grades required.
Yes A-level maths does help in some way for Chem and Bio as you'll be doing Maths regularly. It also makes the BMAT a lot nicer as you'll find some of the questions actually extend slightly beyond GCSE level.

But you certainly don't NEED it and plenty of people have got in without Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending