The Student Room Group

Dissertation rewrite

ethics of getting help with rewriting an undergrad dissertation? I've done 80% of the work but I'm having trouble making it "sharp" as I'm not a native english speaker...is it considered ethical to have help in re-writing? I'm NOT trying to get someone to do the whole thing for me
Every university has different rules so I can't answer this in case I'm wrong, but do you have a dissertation supervisor who can read over some of your work, or even give you an answer that is in line with your uni's policies?
Reply 2
Original post by GST1995
ethics of getting help with rewriting an undergrad dissertation? I've done 80% of the work but I'm having trouble making it "sharp" as I'm not a native english speaker...is it considered ethical to have help in re-writing? I'm NOT trying to get someone to do the whole thing for me

Honestly, what do *you* think the answer is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GST1995

No, just the last 20%.

How can you be a finalist and not know the answer to this?
Reply 4
Yup... that's what I thought. Thanks for your input, they'll just have to take me and my dodgy syntax. thanks for not being TOO judgemental.
There will be very strict rules around what is, and what isn't, acceptable at each uni. If you haven't checked these already then your supervisor will be able to point you in the right direction.

You may be allowed to have someone do some form of proof-reading, but you'll probably have to add some form of acknowledgement. People with certain disabilities, for example, will be allowed certain assistance with writing their work.

What you won't be allowed is to get someone to fundamentally write parts of the work and present them as your own.

FWIW your written English in this post comes across as native, so perhaps you're over-thinking this. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest