Megan_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I have got an offer to study Biomedical Science at Royal Holloway. In terms of teaching, staff, support and exams how is Royal Holloway like? Also is this course accredited? The offer letter says that the course is 3 years, does it also include the placement?

Please help me...
Thanks,
Megan x
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Megan_90)
Hello,

I have got an offer to study Biomedical Science at Royal Holloway. In terms of teaching, staff, support and exams how is Royal Holloway like? Also is this course accredited? The offer letter says that the course is 3 years, does it also include the placement?

Please help me...
Thanks,
Megan x
Hi Megan,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!

Our Biomedical Sciences BSc course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, which means means you'll graduate with a comprehensive knowledge of Biomedical Sciences and invaluable transferable skills that you'll be able to take with you into your future career.

Throughout your degree, you'll spend over 25% of your time in scheduled teaching sessions which vary from lectures to lab sessions. Our staff is dedicated to supporting our students and according to the National Student Survey (NSS), 93% of our students were satisfied with the quality of their courses in the School of Biological Sciences.

You can also find additional support outside of your department with our Careers and Employability Service where you can sign up for workshops, have your CV looked over and have mock interviews to help you prepare for job interviews, internships and placements. While there isn't a placement year built into the Biomedical Science BSc, both the School of Biological Sciences and our Careers and Employability Service can help our students find summer placements.

We also offer academic support at our Centre for the Development of Academic Skills (CEDAS). CEDAS offers free lectures, workshops and one to one tutorials on a range of key academic skills.

If you'd like to speak to a current student, you can start a conversation with Billy on our website here. He's currently studying Biology and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the department. He's also written a few blogs about his experience as a Biology student, which can be found alongside his profile.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Have you had a chance to visit our campus yet?

Susana
Megan_90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
Hi Megan,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!

Our Biomedical Sciences BSc course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, which means means you'll graduate with a comprehensive knowledge of Biomedical Sciences and invaluable transferable skills that you'll be able to take with you into your future career.

Throughout your degree, you'll spend over 25% of your time in scheduled teaching sessions which vary from lectures to lab sessions. Our staff is dedicated to supporting our students and according to the National Student Survey (NSS), 93% of our students were satisfied with the quality of their courses in the School of Biological Sciences.

You can also find additional support outside of your department with our Careers and Employability Service where you can sign up for workshops, have your CV looked over and have mock interviews to help you prepare for job interviews, internships and placements. While there isn't a placement year built into the Biomedical Science BSc, both the School of Biological Sciences and our Careers and Employability Service can help our students find summer placements.

We also offer academic support at our Centre for the Development of Academic Skills (CEDAS). CEDAS offers free lectures, workshops and one to one tutorials on a range of key academic skills.

If you'd like to speak to a current student, you can start a conversation with Billy on our website here. He's currently studying Biology and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the department. He's also written a few blogs about his experience as a Biology student, which can be found alongside his profile.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Have you had a chance to visit our campus yet?

Susana
Thank you so much for the information! Yeah I have visited the campus it’s very beautiful and I enjoyed my time there..
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for the information! Yeah I have visited the campus it’s very beautiful and I enjoyed my time there..
Hi Megan,

That's fantastic to hear!

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Susana
Retrodiction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Please help me...
Thanks,
Megan x
Hi, congrats on your offer!

I graduated from the Molecular Biology track in 2015, but most of my friends were in the Biomedical Sciences department. I only attended one university in the UK, so I can't offer much by way of a comparison to other universities, but the teaching seemed pretty standard. Lectures for all three years and labs for the first two. Labs take up most of your schedule on any given week. They can be somewhat shambolic if there are any impromptu deviations from the printed protocols, but for the most part they're fine.

Exams are intense, but keeping a strong studying schedule during the preceding couple of months will get you through. We typically had a list of five essay prompts from which we would choose three, so chances are you won't be unable to finish the exam.

As for accreditation, it would depend on what you mean. RHUL will tell you that their biology courses are accredited by the Royal Society, but this doesn't mean much in the real world. If you're referring to accreditation with the NHS, i.e. whether a biomedical sciences degree from RHUL will allow you to work as a biomedical scientist for the NHS, then the answer (unless something has drastically changed in the years since I graduated) is no. I was surprised too when I learned this, but the NHS runs and manages specific degree programs to train their staff.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, and let me know if you want me to address anything else!
Megan_90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Retrodiction)
Hi, congrats on your offer!

I graduated from the Molecular Biology track in 2015, but most of my friends were in the Biomedical Sciences department. I only attended one university in the UK, so I can't offer much by way of a comparison to other universities, but the teaching seemed pretty standard. Lectures for all three years and labs for the first two. Labs take up most of your schedule on any given week. They can be somewhat shambolic if there are any impromptu deviations from the printed protocols, but for the most part they're fine.

Exams are intense, but keeping a strong studying schedule during the preceding couple of months will get you through. We typically had a list of five essay prompts from which we would choose three, so chances are you won't be unable to finish the exam.

As for accreditation, it would depend on what you mean. RHUL will tell you that their biology courses are accredited by the Royal Society, but this doesn't mean much in the real world. If you're referring to accreditation with the NHS, i.e. whether a biomedical sciences degree from RHUL will allow you to work as a biomedical scientist for the NHS, then the answer (unless something has drastically changed in the years since I graduated) is no. I was surprised too when I learned this, but the NHS runs and manages specific degree programs to train their staff.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, and let me know if you want me to address anything else!
Hi! Thank you so much for this information. It’s very helpful. If I don’t do a placement year, does that limit my chances of getting a job? I mean like instead of taking an year out for the placement, is it ok to do volunteering and work experiences in labs and hospitals? Because I heard that when we graduate, a portfolio needs to be completed. And I don’t know what a portfolio is and how it can be completed, can you explain it to me please. I really appreciate your help

Megan x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.36%
No (210)
76.64%

Watched Threads