The Student Room Group

Cambridge comes LAST in Equality Rankings. Hull is #1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
That's probably why a Cambridge spokesman cautioned that this is just using a single measure and in reality things are more complex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poor Cambridge spokespeople

They have to make a statement about every single one of these things
Reply 41
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Poor Cambridge spokespeople

They have to make a statement about every single one of these things

Well they were at the "bottom" of the table so yeah...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/cambridge-university-inequality-gender-race-background-social-mobility-hepi-a8289566.html

A University of Cambridge spokesman said: “Widening participation in higher education is a complex issue and we welcome different interpretations of the data.

“We would note, however, that Polar, the single measure upon which this analysis is based, takes no account of factors such as household income, access to education and socio-economic background, all of which have a profound bearing on a student’s likelihood of applying to university.”

Well they were at the "bottom" of the table so yeah...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/cambridge-university-inequality-gender-race-background-social-mobility-hepi-a8289566.html

A University of Cambridge spokesman said: “Widening participation in higher education is a complex issue and we welcome different interpretations of the data.

“We would note, however, that Polar, the single measure upon which this analysis is based, takes no account of factors such as household income, access to education and socio-economic background, all of which have a profound bearing on a student’s likelihood of applying to university.”

The media has it out for Oxbridge

Even though Oxford wasn't in the top three, they'd glue them on next to Cambridge just for a combined article of criticism. Not saying it's not deserved, but it's become convention now.

Barely anyone in the media mentions Bristol, St Andrews or UCL - it's always Oxbridge. It's like these people think that it's only just the attendance of Oxbridge that will bring prosperity, when other unis have equal or even better outcomes in terms of salary for instance. It should be aimed at all unis that deserve criticism, not just Oxbridge.

Even then, while attending a top uni helps, they'd still be at a disadvantage - depending on their skin, sex or class; these factors need looking at too.
Original post by trippieblue
BMEs with immigrant backgrounds do far better than natives in education.

You're not even from the UK so no, you can't assess.

wasnt discussing internationals....nor do i lead discussions with known bigots about my ethinicity.
Also, really TSR?

some clickbait title "Hull beats Cambridge in new ranking"

We all know what you're trying to do smh :wink:
Original post by 04MR17
Thought I'd say that as another member of the working class, the feeling is not the same. I'm proud to say I received an offer from Cambridge and that it is possible for people like me and from my background to get there, and to institutions like it.

Does it happen enough? No. But it does happen and when I visited and stayed there I didn't feel put off. University choices are personal to each individual.

Congratulations
Reply 46
As a mum of a grammar school student. My daughter didn't receive any help re interview process or admission tests to Oxford, in fact I think other state non grammar school students probably had more input so the fact you say Oxford is biased towards grammars is unfair. Please don't generalise.

Original post by trippieblue
It doesn't matter how hard they try to get working class students to apply, they are still indiscriminate in their admissions
process. From my experience, many students from state schools are poorly prepared for the interview and their own admissions exam even if their academic grades are close to perfect.

Oxbridge dont really give a crap about "widening participation", they'll throw a bit of money at the problem and maybe send some of their students around the country to give pointless talks, but the crux of the problem is that their admissions process is systematically biased towards private schools and grammar schools who care a lot more about number of oxbridge admissions and use their alumni network and expertise to give those students a big advantage. And oxbridge are never going to compromise that.
Reverse argument is that a lot of these kids have gone to private school, or private tutoring to get them into selective schools and received higher grades than they would have - research heavily implies this.

BMEs (native ones), had no such access; where do you draw the line on this?

My uni does a student mentoring thing were our undergrads, go and speak and even bring kids from local "state schools" to nottingham with pizza parties and try to spur their interest. I cant speak for what the rest of the sector does or doesnt do.

But what can universities truly do... when they have requirements of AAA-AAB and less priveleged students simply dont perform.....

The semi selective ones and even more so the truly selective ones have to balance making offers to pupils who can succeed..... If they just let them in and they all fail first year or even worse for them squeak first year and are destroyed second, wheres the social mobility of being a uni dropout.

You cant get a job with, i went to XYZ university for 1.2 Years....

Then better pupils go to AYZ Modern university do a more vocational course and get their decent qualification and an appropriate job that isnt in the highest pay bracket but still qualifies them for getting credit, starting a family and moving somewhere nice..Then they can move up in the world see the light and make sure their children get an even better education.

Balanced outcomes... wide thinking strategy

Simply a color coded chart saying this is unequal this universities are doing it wrong, with a very broad based disputable gini coefficient is the definition of oversimplification.

I hope they have different people putting together empirical evidence on Brexit.

To judge an entire sector with one chart📈 some color coding, and less words then my year one university assignment is odd.
Original post by tudie
As a mum of a grammar school student. My daughter didn't receive any help re interview process or admission tests to Oxford, in fact I think other state non grammar school students probably had more input so the fact you say Oxford is biased towards grammars is unfair. Please don't generalise.

Another generalisation??
Original post by Realitysreflexx
My uni does a student mentoring thing were our undergrads, go and speak and even bring kids from local "state schools" to nottingham with pizza parties and try to spur their interest. I cant speak for what the rest of the sector does or doesnt do.

But what can universities truly do... when they have requirements of AAA-AAB and less priveleged students simply dont perform.....

The semi selective ones and even more so the truly selective ones have to balance making offers to pupils who can succeed..... If they just let them in and they all fail first year or even worse for them squeak first year and are destroyed second, wheres the social mobility of being a uni dropout.

You cant get a job with, i went to XYZ university for 1.2 Years....

Then better pupils go to AYZ Modern university do a more vocational course and get their decent qualification and an appropriate job that isnt in the highest pay bracket but still qualifies them for getting credit, starting a family and moving somewhere nice..Then they can move up in the world see the light and make sure their children get an even better education.

Balanced outcomes... wide thinking strategy

Simply a color coded chart saying this is unequal this universities are doing it wrong, with a very broad based disputable gini coefficient is the definition of oversimplification.

I hope they have different people putting together empirical evidence on Brexit.

To judge an entire sector with one chart📈 some color coding, and less words then my year one university assignment is odd.

I'd personally kill off independent schools

or add tariffs to exam results depending on the context of achievement
I'd personally kill off independent schools

or add tariffs to exam results depending on the context of achievement

You just missed the whole social mobility point i was trying to make....

We are trying to integrate everyone to get a fair shot, attacking the priveleged wouldnt help with that, the really rich would simply send their children to neighbouring countries independent schools. Leaving you literally with only one social class left in all schools. Or it would be zone dependent, people have really good schools in areas where the rich live through backdoor school donations. Not the answer at all.

Tariffs to exam results? There goes the competition for students..getting put in different places because they are priveleged not fair either. And would hurt the sector drastically.

I think the system is ok, you apply get your predictions you have a good shot at a place.

Dont get your predictions, dont get your grades here are PLENTY of options for your achievements.

Simple.
You just missed the whole social mobility point i was trying to make....

We are trying to integrate everyone to get a fair shot, attacking the priveleged wouldnt help with that, the really rich would simply send their children to neighbouring countries independent schools. Leaving you literally with only one social class left in all schools. Or it would be zone dependent, people have really good schools in areas where the rich live through backdoor school donations. Not the answer at all.

Tariffs to exam results? There goes the competition for students..getting put in different places because they are priveleged not fair either. And would hurt the sector drastically.

I think the system is ok, you apply get your predictions you have a good shot at a place.

Dont get your predictions, dont get your grades here are PLENTY of options for your achievements.

Simple.

No it wouldn't - it's unfair now.

you do realise you're about 400% more likely to get AAA at a private than a maintained school?

Exam coaching is rampant in private schools to the nth degree.

How do tariffs destroy competition? It would maintain it to the same level. Nope, research it then apply an average tariff based on the context of the student. I'm sorry but Eton has sent too many kids to Oxford who wouldn't be there if they went to a comprehensive

Schools controlled by this govt don't use donations as entry, as you know

sure, but you'd have better predictions going to a private school, not to mention entrance exam and interview coaching too

Tariffs would also be applied to rich international schools

its funny you say one social class - the middle class isn't rich - the middle class person makes like 30k. Working class and middle class make up the most in this country.

Meritocracy > buying yourself in
No it wouldn't - it's unfair now.

you do realise you're about 400% more likely to get AAA at a private than a maintained school?

Exam coaching is rampant in private schools to the nth degree.

How do tariffs destroy competition? It would maintain it to the same level. Nope, research it then apply an average tariff based on the context of the student. I'm sorry but Eton has sent too many kids to Oxford who wouldn't be there if they went to a comprehensive

Schools controlled by this govt don't use donations as entry, as you know

sure, but you'd have better predictions going to a private school, not to mention entrance exam and interview coaching too

Tariffs would also be applied to rich international schools

its funny you say one social class - the middle class isn't rich - the middle class person makes like 30k. Working class and middle class make up the most in this country.

Meritocracy > buying yourself in

Exam coaching...
Interviews training...

The main advantage probably from Cambridge and Oxford for example who make offers, is they hate it when people dont attain their offers.

This doesnt occur at independent schools, thats the main issue,

They know if they offer a kid from eton a place there is a high chance he gets the grades.

Sounds like the state school sector needs help.

No one else.

Cambridge doesnt want to and shouldnt have to hang out in clearing because of contextual offers that arent attained. People from state school are notorious at flops.
(edited 6 years ago)
Exam coaching...
Interviews training...

The main advantage probably from Cambridge and Oxford for example who make offers, is they hate it when people dont attain their offers.

This doesnt occur at independent schools, thats the main issue,

They know if they offer a kid from eton a place there is a high chance he gets the grades.

Sounds like the state school sector needs help.

No one else.

Cambridge doesnt want to and shouldnt have to hang out in clearing because of contextual offers that arent attained. People from state school are notorious at flops.

nope, the problem is they don't get the offer in the first place - most are making their offers from either sector

and thats down to exam coaching

we all know who the better student is if one is from Eton and one is from some state comp, each having the same grades
nope, the problem is they don't get the offer in the first place - most are making their offers from either sector

and thats down to exam coaching

we all know who the better student is if one is from Eton and one is from some state comp, each having the same grades

Even if your "exam coached" you still have to have the mental capacity to get it in your brain, go through the nerves of exams and perform.....

I feel your point, but i disagree slightly, i think more students at public schools flop...however once again this is a STATE school issue. Not a university problem.

Obviously places like oxbridge who want to avoid clearing give offers to pupils most qualified to meet their offers and whatever interview process. Ultimately its the luxury of oxbridge admissions to admit whom they want to teach.
Reply 55
Also, really TSR?

some clickbait title "Hull beats Cambridge in new ranking"

We all know what you're trying to do smh :wink:

Seems to have worked :tongue:
Even if your "exam coached" you still have to have the mental capacity to get it in your brain, go through the nerves of exams and perform.....

I feel your point, but i disagree slightly, i think more students at public schools flop...however once again this is a STATE school issue. Not a university problem.

Obviously places like oxbridge who want to avoid clearing give offers to pupils most qualified to meet their offers and whatever interview process. Ultimately its the luxury of oxbridge admissions to admit whom they want to teach.

But that's not what being the "best in your subject" is about, and nearly anyone can do the above, given an Eton environment. Private schools hold you by the balls and coach you endlessly.

Maybe they do, but again, it's a minority and again, going to private school would've helped them make their offers

It's probably why they end up getting roasted at university when they reveal they went to a private school ( I know this happens at Imperial, I imagine it happens elsewhere). Clearly state school students feel the same sentiment, and intelligent state school students at that.

No offence to their admissions, but their expertise is their subject, not who is good at it. There's a metric **** tonne of eminent scientists who were rejected at some place - Darwin for med school, Einstein from ETH. They were rejecting Einstein after too, and he became some patent clerk for awhile.
This particularly true when they let postdocs or PhD students carry out their interviews.

In the end, if you're truly eminent, you'll be a success no matter what, but for the state students who are in the between, they are definitively getting ****ed
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 57

Relatively few Oxbridge offer holders miss their offers (except for Maths at Cambridge but that's a special case). The over-offer rate is only about 15%* at Cambridge, and many of the misses are internationals missing IELTS requirements not so much home students missing their A-levels.

It's not a significant factor.

*Excluding Maths - for Maths it's over 50%
Relatively few Oxbridge offer holders miss their offers (except for Maths at Cambridge but that's a special case). The over-offer rate is only about 15%* at Cambridge, and many of the misses are internationals missing IELTS requirements not so much home students missing their A-levels.

It's not a significant factor.

*Excluding Maths - for Maths it's over 50%

Hence Ninjas complaint of them not getting offers, my reasoning why, because they pick candidates who wont miss..this involves taking some private school kids who are seen as safe, because their schools as ninja put it unjustly exam coach less bright students into exam performance.
But that's not what being the "best in your subject" is about, and nearly anyone can do the above, given an Eton environment. Private schools hold you by the balls and coach you endlessly.

Maybe they do, but again, it's a minority and again, going to private school would've helped them make their offers

It's probably why they end up getting roasted at university when they reveal they went to a private school ( I know this happens at Imperial, I imagine it happens elsewhere). Clearly state school students feel the same sentiment, and intelligent state school students at that.

No offence to their admissions, but their expertise is their subject, not who is good at it. There's a metric **** tonne of eminent scientists who were rejected at some place - Darwin for med school, Einstein from ETH. They were rejecting Einstein after too, and he became some patent clerk for awhile.
This particularly true when they let postdocs or PhD students carry out their interviews.

In the end, if you're truly eminent, you'll be a success no matter what, but for the state students who are in the between, they are definitively getting ****ed

considering ive been privately educated, for highschool in the US and for foundation in central London in the UK maybe im not the right person to look at this pragmatically enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending