Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello.
I'm a transgender youth, specifically a trans man. I came out not too long ago at my school and people didnt take it too well.. Some people ignored everything I said while some others just ignored me as a whole. Im going to start college soon after im done with my GCSEs and I dont know if i should come out in college? Considering college is more serious stuff, Im very scared someone might get so angry theyll attack me or something. What do i do? I dont want to have to live as a girl anymore.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You are a girl and always will be one so get used to it...

i am NOT a girl. If youre not able to say something helpful then just shut up instead of embarrasing yourself.
sparks01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey dude, sorry about your experience at your current school, that really sucks. I came out this summer as ftm, just before i went to college, and it went really well. I told my tutor and she changed the registers etc and im completely stealth (except people from my old school). If you feel you wont be safe then perhaps it isnt a good idea to come out at all, but if you do then its probably best to do so in summer, so you can introduce yourself properly to new friends. Hope it goes well for you!
Yoko.ono
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I would advise you to look at going to college as a possibility for you to fully express the 'you' that's always been there on the inside. Meaning, don't try to 'come out', just go there with your young man personality and be cool about it. Just like how cisgender people don't make a big deal out of their gender. It's just a part of who they are. Same for you. If someone asks politely, you can just say 'yes i am transgender' etc, but otherwise just be cool about it, treat it like just another fact of life, behave in an open, friendly and approachable way and you'll be fine and easily accepted as you are. To be on the safe side, you can always inform a teacher about this at the beginning of the school year, and talk through your safety concerns with them: ask what is the university's approach to these issues, whom you can contact in case of emergency etc. Hope this helps wishing you best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (46)
28.4%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.64%
No I am happy with my choice (90)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.41%

Watched Threads