Pharmacy but I hate Chemistry Watch

Anisaaahmed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,
I’m looking to do a pharmacy degree in September, I’m currently doing my a levels in human biology, chemistry and physics

I’m finding the chemistry and physics extremely difficult!
Is there degree just as hard, and is there a lot of chemistry equations (what I hate the most) in the degree?
MSmith90
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Plenty of organic chemistry and biochemistry in pharmacy. The application of this to the way drugs work and how they are used to treat certain conditions comes in the later & final years of the degree, at the beginning of the degree you will study a lot of chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, pharmacokinetics (which is LOTS of mathematics applied to chemistry), etc

The old British term for Pharmacist used to be 'Chemist'
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anisaaahmed)
Hi,
I’m looking to do a pharmacy degree in September, I’m currently doing my a levels in human biology, chemistry and physics

Is there degree just as hard, and is there a lot of chemistry equations (what I hate the most) in the degree?
I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think.

If you enjoy pharmacy, then maybe you'll like the chemistry more if you knew it's being applied to pharmacy.

At the end of the day, Pharmacy isn't a chemistry degree - it has other components like biology and biochemistry. Chemistry is just chemistry, physics and maths.

There will inevitably be equations, but I doubt many -what's so bad about them?
mygradesarecrap
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi,

I loved a -level chemistry
But pharmacy first year was SOMETHING ELSE when it cane to the mechanisms (probably because i didnt go over my a level knowledge in the summer before uni started or because lecturers have different styles and vocab when explaining things)

Alot ALOT ALOT of chemistry in pharmacy. ALOT of lab practicals with chemistry background.

Ughh im hating it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mygradesarecrap
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think.

If you enjoy pharmacy, then maybe you'll like the chemistry more if you knew it's being applied to pharmacy.

At the end of the day, Pharmacy isn't a chemistry degree - it has other components like biology and biochemistry. Chemistry is just chemistry, physics and maths.

There will inevitably be equations, but I doubt many -what's so bad about them?
Oh please.... there is loads of equations... loads of chemistry... yes biology aspects but thats just memorising
The chemistry plays a big role in pharmacy since you do lab practicals to do with mass spec, solutions, acid reaction, and some next equations that i cant even pronounce.
crazy.chemist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you hate Chem or can't do it, don't do pharmacy or you will struggle
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mygradesarecrap)
Oh please.... there is loads of equations... loads of chemistry... yes biology aspects but thats just memorising
The chemistry plays a big role in pharmacy since you do lab practicals to do with mass spec, solutions, acid reaction, and some next equations that i cant even pronounce.
I said it isn't a chemistry degree, and it isn't; a chemistry degree has a lot more chemistry, as you'd expect. Pharmacy wouldn't have the hardest parts of a chemistry degree either, just like chemistry wouldn't have the hardest parts of a physics degree. Writing chemical equations isn't what makes chemistry hard
mygradesarecrap
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you want to be a community pharmacist then just get through the course so you can just be qualified to dispense and advice patients.

But if iu want to do hospital pharmacy then the chemistry part of pharmacy plays a big role.

If you physically and mentally cannot stand chemistry or learning about the background of how drugs interact with the body and in general drug mechanisms (organic chemistry and all the diagrams etc) then you will struggle with pharmacy

If you dont like chemistry, then stay away from pharmacy unless you think you can just get on with it ... you might just get that bummy feeling like when you are forced to take exams and do stupid subjecs at gcse... thats how i feel atm.

You wont like everything in a course... some modules you will hate and think “why the hell do i need to know that in THAT much detail”
Zaki_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i hate chemistry too, im almost done with my first year pharmacy, and although i do find some parts of chemistry complex, it doesnt go much harder than pKa, Acids bases, mechanisms (for first year), i hate labs and we have a lot of them too, but again its only like... a small part of the modules, i can only speak for first year but most of it was learning pharmacotherapy, human biology, pharmacy practice relating to law/public health/etc
tcameron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi,

I'm a second year pharmacy student (just finished second year)
I won't lie you will need to know a lot of chemistry. In the start first year the chemistry was mainly general chemistry - so expansion of A level chemistry. But as we start to learn medicines the specific mechanisms of action need to be known.
Be aware though there are other subjects to pharmacy including: pharmacy practice, pharmaceutics, pharmacology, biology, microbiology too. So it isn't all centred around chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (70)
7.68%
I used to but I don't now (24)
2.63%