The Student Room Group

Malpractice insurance for an elective in the UK?

Hello,

I've applied to hospitals in the UK to do an elective placement there, and I've been given a provisional acceptance so long as I can get malpractice insurance coverage for the time period during which I will be doing my placement. There doesn't seem to be any company in the UK that provides malpractice insurance for international students for elective purposes and the MDS/MPS/MDDUS..etc all said they can't be of any assistance.

The only company I'm aware of that does it is the AMPI (Academic Group) but for some reason they've stopped providing insurance for electives outside of the US for the time being and i've contacted them multiple times, doesn't seem like they're gonna be back any time soon (my elective starts June 2018)

Figured I'd ask here in case anyone was in a similar situation or has any clue how i can resolve this issue!

Thanks!
Are you a UK medical student? If so, maybe ask your medical school for suggestions?
In the UK, our malpractice insurance is provided by the med school, even when abroad. The MDS/MPS are defence organisations, not malpractice insurance providers. Not sure about that american one.

What are the details of your current malpractice insurance and are you sure it doesn't cover you abroad?
Original post by nexttime
In the UK, our malpractice insurance is provided by the med school, even when abroad. The MDS/MPS are defence organisations, not malpractice insurance providers. Not sure about that american one.

What are the details of your current malpractice insurance and are you sure it doesn't cover you abroad?

Incorrect.

OP look for a defence union in your own country to provide coverage.
Reply 4
Original post by zak1195
Hello,

I've applied to hospitals in the UK to do an elective placement there, and I've been given a provisional acceptance so long as I can get malpractice insurance coverage for the time period during which I will be doing my placement. There doesn't seem to be any company in the UK that provides malpractice insurance for international students for elective purposes and the MDS/MPS/MDDUS..etc all said they can't be of any assistance.

The only company I'm aware of that does it is the AMPI (Academic Group) but for some reason they've stopped providing insurance for electives outside of the US for the time being and i've contacted them multiple times, doesn't seem like they're gonna be back any time soon (my elective starts June 2018)

Figured I'd ask here in case anyone was in a similar situation or has any clue how i can resolve this issue!

Thanks!

Hi, I'm a foreign medical student wishing to do an elective in the UK. I'm exactly in the same situation as yours and I wonder if you'd find any solutions!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending