Deferring a year...

Watch this thread
watercarrier14
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I wanted too see if I could get some advice on this. I currently hold an offer from Oxford University for an undergraduate course due to start in October 2018. However, recently i'm beginning to think that starting uni this year won't be such a good idea: I suffer from two severe and debilitating mental illnesses and I'm already struggling to cope with the pressure of exams, so once they are over I wanted some time to focus on getting better through medication/therapy. I hope to do well in my A Level Exams so that my Oxford place gets confirmed, but I really don't want to get there and realise that my mental health is holding me back, or struggle academically because of it. I'd rather take a year out and be better mentally prepared.
But then I was thinking, perhaps a change of scenery and of people would help me to get better. I also have 3 months after exams until the start of uni to start the recovery process - is that enough time though?

I'm not even sure if Oxford will agree to deferring me a year. Do you think I should do it, or just go to uni at the time I'm supposed to?
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by watercarrier14)
So I wanted too see if I could get some advice on this. I currently hold an offer from Oxford University for an undergraduate course due to start in October 2018. However, recently i'm beginning to think that starting uni this year won't be such a good idea: I suffer from two severe and debilitating mental illnesses and I'm already struggling to cope with the pressure of exams, so once they are over I wanted some time to focus on getting better through medication/therapy. I hope to do well in my A Level Exams so that my Oxford place gets confirmed, but I really don't want to get there and realise that my mental health is holding me back, or struggle academically because of it. I'd rather take a year out and be better mentally prepared.
But then I was thinking, perhaps a change of scenery and of people would help me to get better. I also have 3 months after exams until the start of uni to start the recovery process - is that enough time though?

I'm not even sure if Oxford will agree to deferring me a year. Do you think I should do it, or just go to uni at the time I'm supposed to?
I think it depends on whether you intend to do anything else during that year; if you simply have an empty year in terms of employment/education you need to be prepared for future employers to question what you were doing with your time.

When can you defer your offer? Can you wait a couple of months or until the summer to see how you feel then?

Also I wouldn’t hesitate talking to the university about your situation. They will have support in place and you can decide whether their support during your course might be sufficient or whether you need more time to recover yourself. Also talk to them about the likelihood of pausing halfway through the year if you need to/having a gap halfway through your course as that option will give you relief knowing that you can pause later if needs be as well.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! And congrats for getting a place at Oxford as well!
Antiquis
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Do you think I should do it, or just go to uni at the time I'm supposed to?
if you feel that you are not medically / psychologically in a position to start university in October, then I would certainly advise against trying to, particularly at Oxford. I hold an offer at Cambridge, and taking a degree at either Oxford or Cambridge (or any university for that matter) is extremely intense.

In addition to that, you don't want to get to Oxford in October, not be able to cope with the stress / pressure, and then have to drop out. You would be better starting when you know you can handle it, and have a better time.

Hope this helps.
watercarrier14
Rep:
(Original post by carrotstar)
I think it depends on whether you intend to do anything else during that year; if you simply have an empty year in terms of employment/education you need to be prepared for future employers to question what you were doing with your time.

When can you defer your offer? Can you wait a couple of months or until the summer to see how you feel then?

Also I wouldn’t hesitate talking to the university about your situation. They will have support in place and you can decide whether their support during your course might be sufficient or whether you need more time to recover yourself. Also talk to them about the likelihood of pausing halfway through the year if you need to/having a gap halfway through your course as that option will give you relief knowing that you can pause later if needs be as well.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! And congrats for getting a place at Oxford as well!
Thank you!! You're right, I think I'm going to talk to them about my situation. I think a couple of months before uni begins would be a good time to tell them
watercarrier14
Rep:
(Original post by The_Maestro)
if you feel that you are not medically / psychologically in a position to start university in October, then I would certainly advise against trying to, particularly at Oxford. I hold an offer at Cambridge, and taking a degree at either Oxford or Cambridge (or any university for that matter) is extremely intense.

In addition to that, you don't want to get to Oxford in October, not be able to cope with the stress / pressure, and then have to drop out. You would be better starting when you know you can handle it, and have a better time.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I think you're right. Currently I don't feel in the right position to start university so I think I'll discuss it with them and see how they respond. Congrats on your offer!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I don't know whether deferring is possible tbh, but I would urge you not to start at Oxford unless you feel confident enough to do so. Studying at Oxford is no joke even if healthy. I hate to be so pessimistic but trying to study there with two debilitating mental illnesses could prove extremely tough indeed, and might not be worth the stress involved...

Did you tick any boxes on your UCAS form about mental health difficulties/disabilities and have you had any contact with Oxford's disability office? They are probably in the best place to advise you about the possibility of deferring entry.

It's worth noting that these days (it wasn't there in my day), there is a fitness to study panel at Oxford, which your college can refer your case to if necessary.

Whatever happens, please please please do whatever's best for your health, even if that means withdrawing from your Oxford offer :yes:
Antiquis
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thanks, I think you're right. Currently I don't feel in the right position to start university so I think I'll discuss it with them and see how they respond. Congrats on your offer!
Thanks matey - you too!
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Many thanks for your post - we are sorry to hear you are struggling with health issues at present. Our advice is as follows:

1) We hope you are seeking some professional help with your issues. In terms of readiness to start university, this is something to take up with your counsellors who can offer guidance that may help.

2) We would suggest letting your school know if you have not done so already as they can offer support and if your health affects exams they will be able to tell the college (and other universities) making you an offer about impact on study, if you give permission for this.

3) We think it is better to approach the college making the offer about deferral sooner rather than later, although we appreciate that at this stage your intentins may not be fixed.

Brasenose Admissions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
18.52%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
11.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
14.81%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
11.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
25.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
18.52%

Watched Threads