S3 chapter 3 confusion Watch

Angels1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Can someone explain what the difference is between xbar and Xbar ?? Doing central limit theorem and I’m getting confused : S
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Could u post a picture of what you are referring to?
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Angels1234)
Can someone explain what the difference is between xbar and Xbar ?? Doing central limit theorem and I’m getting confused : S
In my understanding, Xbar denotes the mean of a sample of X values in general, while xbar denotes the value of an individual sample mean.
Angels1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
In my understanding, Xbar denotes the mean of a sample of X values in general, while xbar denotes the value of an individual sample mean.
When you say in general do you mean for an entire population rather than a sample
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
When you say in general do you mean for an entire population rather than a sample
I meant “in general for a sample” rather than anything about the entire population.

If you are happy with the distinction between X and x, then the same distinction applies between Xbar and xbar.
Angels1234
Rep:
?
I meant “in general for a sample” rather than anything about the entire population.

If you are happy with the distinction between X and x, then the same distinction applies between Xbar and xbar.
I’m not sure if I get it still
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Not an expert and may get corrected, but consider the difference between X and x. We say X is a random variable, while x is not. We use them in notation like P(X=x) where it reads 'the probability that X is equal to x'.

Same thing applies to \bar{X} and \bar{x}. We denote \bar{X} as the random variable while \bar{x} is not a random variable. Similarly, we may use it in the context of P(\bar{X} = \bar{x}) where we take a bunch of samples out of our population X, take all of their means and assign a r.v. to them which is \bar{X}, then we look at the probability that it equals a particular sample mean \bar{x}.
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’m not sure if I get it still
Let’s say X is a random variable that represents the heights of maths students. X will have an expected value, variance and distribution of some kind. x then represents the height of an individual maths student (x is an individual value of X). Hence statements like P(X < x) = 0.7 make sense.

Now let’s say we take several idependent samples of 20 students from the population of maths students. The mean height calculated for these samples can be represented by the random variable Xbar. Xbar will have an expected value, variance and distribution of some kind. xbar is the mean calculated for any individual sample. Hence statements like P(Xbar < xbar) = 0.7 make sense.
Angels1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Not an expert and may get corrected, but consider the difference between X and x. We say X is a random variable, while x is not. We use them in notation like P(X=x) where it reads 'the probability that X is equal to x'.

Same thing applies to \bar{X} and \bar{x}. We denote \bar{X} as the random variable while \bar{x} is not a random variable. Similarly, we may use it in the context of P(\bar{X} = \bar{x}) where we take a bunch of samples out of our population X, take all of their means and assign a r.v. to them which is \bar{X}, then we look at the probability that it equals a particular sample mean \bar{x}.
ahh okay. So basically xbar is just the sample mean of one sample where as XBar is a random variable (more generic) as it involves looking at several different samples , where each sample has its own sample mean and X bar is the rv of getting lets say the mean of one sample or the mean of another sample ?
Angels1234
Rep:
?
Let’s say X is a random variable that represents the heights of maths students. X will have an expected value, variance and distribution of some kind. x then represents the height of an individual maths student (x is an individual value of X). Hence statements like P(X < x) = 0.7 make sense.

Now let’s say we take several idependent samples of 20 students from the population of maths students. The mean height calculated for these samples can be represented by the random variable Xbar. Xbar will have an expected value, variance and distribution of some kind. xbar is the mean calculated for any individual sample. Hence statements like P(Xbar < xbar) = 0.7 make sense.
okay so X bar is a rv that represents what the mean could be from a sample . so if there is 5 samples of 20 people for instance and 1 of those samples has a mean of lets say 1.67 m then the Rv Xbar would take / equal this value and then if another sample has a mean of 1.64 Xbar can allso take this value ?
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
ahh okay. So basically xbar is just the sample mean of one sample where as XBar is a random variable (more generic) as it involves looking at several different samples , where each sample has its own sample mean and X bar is the rv of getting lets say the mean of one sample or the mean of another sample ?
Pretty much.
Angels1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Pretty much.
Fabulous . Thanks for clearing it up
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
okay so X bar is a rv that represents what the mean could be from a sample . so if there is 5 samples of 20 people for instance and 1 of those samples has a mean of lets say 1.67 m then the Rv Xbar would take / equal this value and then if another sample has a mean of 1.64 Xbar can allso take this value ?
Yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (131)
18.02%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (126)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.44%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (222)
30.54%

Watched Threads